shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice re OMC earrings

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have recently become very interested in purchasing a pair of old cut diamond earrings. I came across this pair on Jewels by Erica Grace: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Earrings/229ctw-Antique-Cushion-Cut/33201292_Cv6NJw#!i=2880526978&k=5NvLDLJ

I love the style, and the size seems perfect for what I am looking for (something appropriate for everyday, but with enough wow factor for nice events). I am a bit hesitant to purchase sight-unseen, though, especially as I am unfamiliar with antique diamonds. Does anyone have thoughts on what this would look like in real life? Would the difference in the cuts be noticeable? How yellow would they appear on? Will I be disappointed by the sparkle compared to the hearts & arrows studs I got from Brian Gavin Diamonds?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
Some of your questions only you can answer, especially how you would feel about these earrings versus H&A studs from BGD. I will say, however, that Jewels by Erica Grace is a great company to buy from, with fantastic customer service. As for buying sight unseen, they do have an inspection period so you can lay those fears to rest. I have purchased an upgrade e-ring from them as well as a loose stone, and I have had some work done by their bench. In fact, I recently had custom mountings made and I chose another vendor based on price and after my ordeal I can say I wish I had paid to have them done right the first time by JbEG.

I have OEC dangle earrings; one stone is a GIA M and the other is a GIA N. Yes, you can see the color sometimes. Bezels help mitigate that, but if you look for it you will see it. Will other people? It's not as likely. I don't think mine ever look yellow when I have them on; they are more creamy or glowing than super white stones, but they aren't yellow.

As for unmatched stones, again that is a question you have to answer for yourself. While it is unlikely that anyone will look at the earrings on you and tell you that they don't match, you will know that the match isn't perfect. That pair of stones has similar external dimensions which would matter to me more than the actual cuts being a perfect match, but really, I think you will need to see them to decide. If you are hesitant to have them sent then ask for a shot of both earrings side by side, both facing forward so you can look at the cut difference. You could also ask for a photograph of them on a person so you can get a sense of how they will look on.

Good luck! I think they are very pretty earrings!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Here is couple of earshots; quite difficult to get decent ones :cry:, but You may see how bright they are.

_12255.jpg

_12256.jpg

_12257.jpg

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Those look gorgeous on you, Confection10! And what sparkle! Thanks for sharing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results