shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian bracelet design- input please!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have been working with Jeremy to put together a tahitian bracelet. I wanted something a little different and this is what we've come up with. Gem grade 10mm multi color tahitian rounds with (peacock?) tahitian keshi. I think I am going to need to remove one of the rounds to make the bracelet the right length. Jeremy and I have both decided it will probably be the one on the far right- although I had wanted an odd number. I want to keep the keshi equal number on both sides. What do all you pearl experts think? Do you think it will sit well on the wrist- I'm having it made not as loose as most bracelets so that it doesn't shift too much- but not tight either! I love the colors that Jeremy cherry picked!! Anyway- before the pearls are drilled I welcome your thoughts!! the photo is not a glamour shot- just an iphone photo that Jeremy took for me.

_dsc1276.jpg

_dsc1277.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
WOWZA! Those Tahitians have fabulous color and quality! You & Jeremy did a great job selecting pearls that compliment each other and still showing the range of color Tahitians can get!!! It's a shame you have to go to an even # of round pearls but if you have to I'd also select the one on the right. Can't wait to see the final bracelet! Congratulations!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts are that this is gorgeous and you will be looking at your wrist a lot. I wear a number of pearl bracelets, and they generally don't shift much if they are not top-heavy, which this one shouldn't be. I would totally keep the odd number of round pearls on top, and would lose a keshi on the bottom if that was necessary for sizing. Those rounds are stunning, and keshi are interesting, but you won't miss one of those as much.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1385479444|3563173 said:
My thoughts are that this is gorgeous and you will be looking at your wrist a lot. I wear a number of pearl bracelets, and they generally don't shift much if they are not top-heavy, which this one shouldn't be. I would totally keep the odd number of round pearls on top, and would lose a keshi on the bottom if that was necessary for sizing. Those rounds are stunning, and keshi are interesting, but you won't miss one of those as much.

thanks Fyy girl!! Yes- I know what you mean about the rounds being stunning- it's been really hard to decide which one to omit! but there are 2 reasons for me to keep the keshi equal. One would be that the clasp would then be centered at the back and the second is the cost of the rounds. Since the gem grade is close to $200/pearl- cost is unfortunately a factor for me, too :$$):

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew|1385477951|3563158 said:
WOWZA! Those Tahitians have fabulous color and quality! You & Jeremy did a great job selecting pearls that compliment each other and still showing the range of color Tahitians can get!!! It's a shame you have to go to an even # of round pearls but if you have to I'd also select the one on the right. Can't wait to see the final bracelet! Congratulations!

thanks!!! Can't beat Jeremy's eye!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
What clasp are you using? I find fishhook clasps frustrating to handle by myself, although they do lie flat and are inexpensive. I find that a clasp of any size tends to migrate to one side or the other of those tendons in the center of the inside of your wrist. You might want to size so that the clasp is off-center on the wrist. Look at the palm of your hand and lift the hand a bit towards your head. I like the clasp to lie just to the downward (opposite your thumb) side of the tendons. Just sayin'. I threw in the towel on clasps and asked that my latest bracelet be put on elastic. I think I will get much more wear out of it if I'm not fighting a fishhook at the start and end of the day. Not elegant, but perhaps more practical.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1385483696|3563225 said:
What clasp are you using? I find fishhook clasps frustrating to handle by myself, although they do lie flat and are inexpensive. I find that a clasp of any size tends to migrate to one side or the other of those tendons in the center of the inside of your wrist. You might want to size so that the clasp is off-center on the wrist. Look at the palm of your hand and lift the hand a bit towards your head. I like the clasp to lie just to the downward (opposite your thumb) side of the tendons. Just sayin'. I threw in the towel on clasps and asked that my latest bracelet be put on elastic. I think I will get much more wear out of it if I'm not fighting a fishhook at the start and end of the day. Not elegant, but perhaps more practical.

Fly Girl- good points. I am looking at the solid fishhook clasp as a matter of fact. I thought it would look best next to the keshi. Originally, I asked for this bracelet to be a stretch bracelet, but Jeremy said he hated to put such exceptional pearls on elastic in case it broke. I also asked about knotting the elastic between the pearls as written about on the other forum, and after talking with Hisano, he said she felt that knotting the elastic weakens it. So not sure what to do. I also feel that stretch bracelets are fun and easy to wear, but I'd be heartsick if I lost any of the rounds :cry: I'm still waiting on the final price and depending how it ends up, I'll look at keeping the 7 rounds which will put the clasp about the position you're talking about. Thanks for your suggestions- I consider you the pearl bracelet queen! =)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's going to be a lovely bracelet.
I recommend stringing with a synthetic silk - a bracelet is always going to get wet and the silk will perish. I'd not use stretch either - I had a bracelet explode off me at the weekend . A minute bump or scratchy bit left from drilling inside a pearl will rub at it very easily and boing, there it goes. Stretch is great, but I would not use for good pearls.
I'd go for a simply lobster type clasp. It's neat and secure. Maybe even anodysed silver so it's black?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know that it's expensive but it would be great to keep an odd number of pearls if you can...I'd lose a few keshi as someone else suggested. as for the clasp...I quite like a toggle clasp..I think they look quite smart and i don't have a problem with them unfastening. I hate fiddly little clasps like the fishhook and small ball clasps. Magnets can catch on metal and unfasten so they are out.

The pearls you have are beautiful !! Just gorgeous! It's going to be spectacular..and a year from now is that 200$ going to make a difference??

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence|1385537039|3563745 said:
That's going to be a lovely bracelet.
I recommend stringing with a synthetic silk - a bracelet is always going to get wet and the silk will perish. I'd not use stretch either - I had a bracelet explode off me at the weekend . A minute bump or scratchy bit left from drilling inside a pearl will rub at it very easily and boing, there it goes. Stretch is great, but I would not use for good pearls.
I'd go for a simply lobster type clasp. It's neat and secure. Maybe even anodysed silver so it's black?

Yikes- an exploded bracelet!! :shock: No, I certainly wouldn't want that!!! I think I'll stick to a traditional knotted strand. And I do like the idea of a blackened silver clasp with it- it would blend with the pearls nicely. I'll need to check with Jeremy on that.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1385550625|3563783 said:
I know that it's expensive but it would be great to keep an odd number of pearls if you can...I'd lose a few keshi as someone else suggested. as for the clasp...I quite like a toggle clasp..I think they look quite smart and i don't have a problem with them unfastening. I hate fiddly little clasps like the fishhook and small ball clasps. Magnets can catch on metal and unfasten so they are out.

The pearls you have are beautiful !! Just gorgeous! It's going to be spectacular..and a year from now is that 200$ going to make a difference??

Well, my mother is going to give me the bracelet for Christmas, so I'm trying to keep the cost within her budget. Part of the plan is to keep adding gem rounds until the whole bracelet is all gem rounds. Then I'll take the keshi and make a stretch bracelet =)

Now I just need to figure out the clasp...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This going to be a gorgeous bracelet. Clasps for bracelets are always an issue for me too. I prefer lobster clasps because they are easier to use. Fish hooks are such a pain.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks baby monster! maybe an oxidized silver lobster clasp...

ok- here is the photo with one pearl removed. What do you all think- does the even number look odd?

tahitian_1.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I like your idea of adding more round T's over time! That gives lots of meaning to each pearl on the bracelet. Honestly it does bother me only a little with 6 gem pearls but since it's not going to be that way forever I say go for it!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Decided on a black rhodium plated gold lobster clasp for this piece. I think it will be perfect!! I appreciate all the input for the clasp as I didn't realize how difficult those fish hook and ball clasps could be for a bracelet. I did end up changing the layout just a little- so now the round pearls are an odd number again and the gorgeous golden pistachio at almost 11mm is front and center. =)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah! I think the extra pearl really makes the bracelet!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good decision ! When that much money is tied up in something it's good to get it exactly as you want it to be..even if you toss in the extra 200$ yourself. In the long run it just saves money .. deciding in a year that you did want that extra pearl..then having to buy the pearl and pay to have it remade..etc . It's absolutely beautiful ! I would snatch that up in a heartbeat !!! Love using the two types of pearls ! Well done ! (and the black clasp...very interesting and modern...I like that idea )

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
well....... actually I went the other way and deducted a round. Now I have 5 rounds. I decided that as I added rounds in the future that I wanted to graduate the size and that 5 would be about right for the 10 to 11 mm size. As Jeremy pointed out- if I want to add two more after I get it-it's very easy for them to do. So now I have blue/green, bubble gum pink over silver, golden pistachio, true blue, and peacock. Each one of these pearls really speak to me.

_dsc1354.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1385615821|3564379 said:
well....... actually I went the other way and deducted a round. Now I have 5 rounds. I decided that as I added rounds in the future that I wanted to graduate the size and that 5 would be about right for the 10 to 11 mm size. As Jeremy pointed out- if I want to add two more after I get it-it's very easy for them to do. So now I have blue/green, bubble gum pink over silver, golden pistachio, true blue, and peacock. Each one of these pearls really speak to me.
That is going to be lovely. I am a bit sad to see the aubergine go, but you have a gorgeous bracelet there. I think the keshi on the back side is a brilliant idea. Love that you are going with the lobster clasp. Looking forward to wrist shots of the final piece.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1385649921|3564474 said:
pinkjewel|1385615821|3564379 said:
That is going to be lovely. I am a bit sad to see the aubergine go, but you have a gorgeous bracelet there. I think the keshi on the back side is a brilliant idea. Love that you are going with the lobster clasp. Looking forward to wrist shots of the final piece.

thanks, Fly Girl. Jeremy was also sad I eliminated the aubergine/cherry. But going to 5 made its color a little too deep for the remainder of the pearls. I will try to add one in a slightly smaller size as I continue to add to the bracelet. I'm pretty excited about the rhodium plating. We are also adding a rhodium plated chain to the back so it gives me a little leeway for sizing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results