shape
carat
color
clarity

Eek, praying for peace for China / Japan island dispute!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if discussing this current affair is deemed political, if so my apologies.
I am alarmed at the continuation of the China / Japanese island dispute, over the Senkaku islands, which the Chinese call Daioyu.

If this is a legal dispute over ownership, surely this should be settled legally?
The Japanese surveyed the islands in 1895, finding no trace of habitation and so claimed them for Japan.
China claims that fishermen used the islands as a landing station in the 1400s and so they belong to China??
From The Wall Street Journal story I read today, China made this claim public in 1970.

Perhaps the real issue is nationalistic score settling over the horrors of WW2.
When this issue broke out last time a few months ago, I mentioned the ongoing drama to two of my Asian friends.

One friend, a fairly recent Chinese immigrant, has no love of the Communist party and its infiltration into society in China.
However, on hearing of the dispute, he announced with vigour that he would send money to the Chinese government to help settle the score with Japan, based on WW2 horrors!

The other, who I would say is a fairly good friend, is a Chinese-Malay heritage doctor, immediately turned the topic to the 'Japanese character' and indeed went on at great length about the cruelties of the Japanese in WW2 in Malaysia. ???!!!

Eventually I interjected, pointing out that my own grandfather had suffered terribly, narrowly escaping death in prisoner of war camps in Singapore in WW2, and that most of my grandfathers' friends had died, horribly.
Yet it had never occurred to me to revisit that to current Japan or Japanese people! And certainly I would never, ever bring that responsibility down to any view of Japanese character!!!

So let's pray for healing dust for those Chinese, and the Japanese and indeed for all of us that are somehow connected or viewing this latest dispute. A global world requires a fresh and positive outlook.

Here is a fairly comprehensive description of the events : http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/25/world/asia/china-japan-island-explainer/

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LaraOnline|1385529084|3563690 said:
The other, who I would say is a fairly good friend, is a Chinese-Malay heritage doctor, immediately turned the topic to the 'Japanese character' and indeed went on at great length about the cruelties of the Japanese in WW2 in Malaysia. ???!!!
Sadly the true extent of the crimes against humanity committed by Japan are washed over in the education systems in the US and Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As far as the current dispute it has little to do with the Islands.
It has to do with the appearance of influence and impressing the weaker countries so they look to them for leadership. Since many of them hate Japan its not that hard to do if they see the US backed Japanese influence slipping.
It just another play in the I am the real Asian powerhouse game.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1385543598|3563769 said:
LaraOnline|1385529084|3563690 said:
Sadly the true extent of the crimes against humanity committed by Japan are washed over in the education systems in the US and Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

Well perhaps Australians were more exposed as many of our men died in horrible prison camps, my grandmother had some blood curdling stories (she very rarely mentioned them, but a couple of key memories did come out over time).

For example, Grandpa survived, but on Grandma's reunion visit to the army hospital, she walked right by his bed (didn't recognise him).
Her best friend's husband had literally exploded from beri-beri (died) on the flying boat on the way home!!
And of course Darwin was subject to attack.

But..... to nurse a grudge at this stage in history ... I mean, do you still hate the German people ?
As a society in Australia we seem to have put it all behind us.
Also, in Australian society (Caucasian )it is socially frowned upon to openly slate an entire race of people.
We just can't in good conscience slate an entire nation as a nation of monsters.

In my opinion, to nurse grudges like this is to potentially foster another generation of hate and suffering.

I choose peace.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LaraOnline|1385546004|3563773 said:
I mean, do you still hate the German people ?
No ,nor do I hate the Japanese people.
I do have some problems with their government and policies.
Japanese trade policies and rules disgust me and I feel we should mirror theirs to make it an even playing field instead of one tilted in their direction, same with China.
I was just proving information then my opinion of the situation in the next post.

However there are many people in Asia who do hate Japan for their actions in ww2 and are resentful how the US built up Japan and not the victims of Japanese atrocities.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Interesting discussion.
Please forgive me for appearing to ask you, personally, whether you 'hated' Germans lol! :lol:

I was speaking more broadly of course...as the Germans are an equivalent 'bad guy' in the historical scenario. Surely it would be seen as warmongering for European countries to discuss unilaterally redrawing borders against Germany at this stage. My two Asian friends at least sure know how to nurse a nasty grudge!

And of course Japan has their own problems economically, which may help explain (if not excuse) their economic policies.

You mentioned China's ambition to be seen as a leader in south east Asia. Well, they are not making any friends in the Philippines, unfortunately. China claims almost the entire oil- and gas-rich South China Sea, rejecting the rival claims to parts of it from Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Vietnam.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/27/us-philippines-china-idUSBRE9AQ0CH20131127

Not only that, they insulted the Philippines when they offered a paltry and embarrassing $100,000 to the international flood disaster effort!

After an international outcry, China upped their spend to $1million, and then $1.6m... still much, much less than most government contributions - apparently less than the furniture company Ikea's contribution!!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/14/china-typhoon-haiyan-aid/3529729/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results