shape
carat
color
clarity

new head for my solitare

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
just wondering if I get a new head for my diamond should the jewler show me my diamond under a loupe whe I pick it up? Is that common? Also should the entire inside of the head by high polished like the outside? Does anyone know of a website that show different heads? I am looking for platinum double prong head for my round 1.18 diamond. Thanx
roni

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to www.stuller.com and do a search on 22043 which is their Octet head. It is available in platinum and has a retail price of about $270 for one that would fit a 1.25 rb.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Veronica,

check out www.stuller.com for examples of different types of heads.

Ideally, yes the head should have a superb polish inside and out. In practice, this is a very time consuming job and most customers aren''t willing to pay for finishing details that they can''t see when the piece is complete. Proper finish work is the most difficult part of the job and it can drive up the price considerably. Talk to the person doing the setting and make sure that they understand what your standards are going to be. Some will be happy to accomodate you while others will decline the job entirely. By all means, choose someone who will do the job you want.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

bogus

Rough_Rock
If I decide to go wtihout the inside being high polished what effect will this have on my diamond?
thanx again
roni

bogus

Rough_Rock
sorry one more question should I keep my old head or does the jewler usually keep that? I dont want it just want to know
what the common practice is.
thanx again

bogus

Rough_Rock
thanx for you reply Dave but could you tell what effect high polish or no high polish will have on my diamond?
thanx again roni

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Bogus,

I recently had the inside of my head polished because I had to have the stone tightened, anyway, and I thought it was a good time to undertake that project. I had the jeweller take out the stone, polish the head, and remount it. Actually, I am disappointed with the result. The inside of the prongs are shiney, but the seat of the head is still dull and unpolished. I paid over $200 to have this done because of the re-setting issue, and honestly, it wasn't worth it. I now want to eventually get a whole new mounting, crafted by someone who actually knows how to finish things properly. I have given up on trying to improve the ring I have since no one in my area seems to be competent enough to do it.

What is the moral of the story? Make darn sure that you specify that the polish job be perfect EVERYWHERE, have the jeweller agree to this, or they shouldn't get your money for this particular polishing job.

I hope it works out for you!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results