carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello wonderful PS family :)

Figured I'd turn to you guys for some great advice on a strange situation that I'm finding myself in. I'm apart of a local buy/sell/trade group on facebook and someone posted they were in search of an Ipod touch. I have a first generation Ipod that's 32G that I never really used-since I have an Iphone 4S. I said I did-the mama sent me a message-we came to agree on a price ($75.00) and she picked it up a couple of days later. She bought it as a gift for her 6 yr old son to play games on. I know next to nothing about apps/games/etc since I never downloaded anything (on either one-my phone or the Ipod touch). I told her (prior to her buying it) that it has an app store and that you can buy/download things there (games included).

I should mention that for the past few months this mom and I have been friendly on FB bc she was planning on swapping me a summer shirt for a pair of feather earrings (that I have yet to make-I was waiting on getting some nice feathers from a friend who does bird rescue on our upcoming trip to the states) and she's checked in every once in a while to make sure we're still on for the trade (I also gave her a scrap book when she picked up as a part of the trade just to get it out of my house-nothing of super high value).

She took the Itouch home and since she doesn't know anything about them reached out to someone who does (though the same group) and was informed that she can't download games on the first generation Ipod touch. She sent me a message requesting a refund.

I did some research and while you can download some games (quite a few but not nearly as many as new IOS ones) you can't download every game. Part of me (the nice part) wants to say sure-bring it by. It was just sitting around and I was planning on listing it for sale when I saw the in search of post-but I've put that money aside to buy something special for myself that I'm saving up for. Now this money (if I gave her money back) wouldn't make or break what I'm saving up for-but it will help with gas/trip expenses/etc that we've now factored into the budget. My husband has a set income and I make very little as a stay at home mom.

So-should I give her the money back? On one hand I'm not walmart-I feel like she should have done her research and known she needed a certain generation in order to get the functions she needed for her sons games-and had we not have (very minimal) communications prior I'm not sure she would have felt comfortable to ask for her money back. I'm sure she can probably resell it-or even just use it for the games it can have downloaded.

My husband said he doesn't think we should do it-that it's weird that she'd even consider asking.

I can see both sides but feel very strange about the whole thing.

So-what would you do?

Sorry this got so long!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's closed-minded, but IMO private sales don't come with things like money-back guarantees if you change your mind unless that's part of what you discuss beforehand!

If it was a friend I wouldn't mind taking it back - but that's because I'd be confident that the nice-but-not-necessary gesture would be repaid somehow/somewhere/sometime. For someone I'm not particularly friendly with - nope.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1385507517|3563442 said:
Maybe it's closed-minded, but IMO private sales don't come with things like money-back guarantees if you change your mind unless that's part of what you discuss beforehand!

If it was a friend I wouldn't mind taking it back - but that's because I'd be confident that the nice-but-not-necessary gesture would be repaid somehow/somewhere/sometime. For someone I'm not particularly friendly with - nope.

Thanks for your input Yssie. That's the way I feel too. She's not a friend-just someone I met when she picked up the Ipod-and had messages exchanged with regards to a shirt she had for sale months ago.

I know she wanted it for games for her son-and it DOES have that ability-which is why she bought it-but neither of us knew that it wouldn't be able to do all the games that she was hoping it does. There wasn't a money back or anything of the sort discussed.

I don't want to put a mom out on Christmas for her son (we actually don't even celebrate the holiday-not that it has anything to do with this at all) but I'm feeling badly about it. But I have bought a skirt that I thought would fit and it is WAY to big. I didn't ask her to give me my 5.00 back since the small wasn't small enough-I figure that's my own fault and the risk of buying things this way.

I'm so torn :knockout: Thanks for your input though. We feel the same way for the most part.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It DOES download games, just not as many as she wants, right? So, let her re-sell it if she's not happy with it. Not your problem.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
double post

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1385508495|3563456 said:
It DOES download games, just not as many as she wants, right? So, let her re-sell it if she's not happy with it. Not your problem.

right. Here is a search I found after she contacted me (I'm assuming her kid wants to play angry birds which it can't do since they upgraded the IOS recently)

http://ask.metafilter.com/221312/Fun-kidfriendly-games-for-1st-Gen-iPod-Touch

I did have someone else see my post to her and contacted me about buying it-if shes interested and serious I'll put them in touch. But I don't want to do so unless she really wants to buy it kwim?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was me, I'd return the money. Its a karma thing for me and I wouldn't want any ill will or misunderstanding out there over it. Also, it sounds like you might also have given her the impression that apps and games were available/downloadable. For me, it would be sufficient that I was devoting considerable time to thinking about it - that to me would be indicative that I needed to return the money so that I could move on and stop thinking about it. :praise:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of feel like she should have done her research and its hers now. She can sell it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah she should have done her homework before she bought it from you and known what games you could and could not download and sure you are under no obligation to refund her money and it is annoying that she even asked but if it were me I would just allow her to make the return to you. It's not worth the hassle and bad feelings b/w the 2 of you IMO friends or not. I'm with minou here. It's not worth any bad karma. Maybe she needs to money more than you guys if she asked for her money back. You might be able to make it a win win anyway by selling it to that other interested person or someone else if that doesn't work out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would let her return it, but request she drive up by your way rather than meeting far away (if gas costs factor in). I do think she should have done her research, but oh well, I guess it's not worth making tons more stress over the whole thing. Maybe list it on Amazon or eBay instead where you don't have any personal interaction with the buyer and if you list on eBay, put specifically what that ipod does so nobody misunderstands. I listed an extra KF we had and one of the interested people wanted to know if it took pictures! People are not always exactly tech savvy or understand what a product does or doesn't do.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice. I went with my gut feeling (which is why I was so conflicted) on allowing her to return the Itouch. She can download games but if the roles were reversed I'd hope that someone would do the same for me. It's Christmas after all and what better way to show my faith and character and hopefully build a friendship.

Thanks so much everyone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You took the high road - I do admire that. It saves a lot of wear and tear on everyone. The sad part is that she only paid $75 for it and to have it to use as a toy for a child I think she got a great deal. Too bad she didn't see it that way or didn't feel bad about asking you to refund the money. However, as someone else said, it makes great karma for yourself!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely let her make the return and refund her - no questions asked.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you did the right thing, imo.
and for the right reasons as well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1385515253|3563530 said:
You took the high road - I do admire that. It saves a lot of wear and tear on everyone. The sad part is that she only paid $75 for it and to have it to use as a toy for a child I think she got a great deal. Too bad she didn't see it that way or didn't feel bad about asking you to refund the money. However, as someone else said, it makes great karma for yourself!

:appl: :appl:

Good for you! :wavey:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I'm with monarch64 - I would probably refund. She might give you bad feedback as a seller, and I agree with the karma thing. Is she a source of possible trades in the future? If so, perhaps you don't want to cut her off. Maybe she should have done her research, but if it were me I'm not sure I'd know I'd have to research it. Being non-technological, I might assume it either downloads games or it doesn't. Not your problem, sure, but it's the nicer thing to do. She probably doesn't want to give her son something which is more outdated than she'd realised. Can you re-sell it on ebay?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith, my dear, I think you may have mis-read. I appreciate your agreement but I think you are misunderstanding. I said that I thought VL should refuse a refund.
No matter. She has come to a decision that she'll refund the money and is content. Yay!

Smith, enjoy your holiday! VL, have a great weekend. Hope you iron this situation out so all parties are happy. Have a great weekend!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She will be picking up her money and bringing it back tomorrow. She said she'll 'give me the shirt' that I was going to trade for and is very appreciative. I'm glad she's happy-even though taking the high road I don't feel as bad about it I'm still slightly annoyed by it-which bothers me more than anything. I just want to be gracious and loving towards people-it's not really that big of a deal.

Funny thing though-the other lady doesn't want it after researching the first generations since it was going to be for her 7yr old daughter and found it to be too expensive at 75.00 for the lack of functions that it does-so she passed. So she did her research! Not that I would have known either prior to this myself but 32G is going to be great for someone who just wants to download any music they've ever listened to in their entire life and hit shuffle. Can't believe how different the functions are when they look the same. I swear that did that on purpose-buy this one-oh wait-now it's a phone-buy this one-and then the updates don't work for older models (don't tell me THAT wasn't intentional) and so on and so fourth.

I just want to get rid of this thing lol. Anyone want an Ipod touch ;)) :cheeky:

I will say that because I sold it and was still going to have funds to buy myself the baby wrap I wanted (that I've been saving months for) I got myself these earrings as a push present since my sons birthday is Oct and is opal. Now I kind of feel badly since I shouldn't have if I hadn't sold the Itouch (not that it makes or breaks us but I justified it a bit more lol)

http://loupetroop.com/listings/earrings/australian-opal-silver-flower-earrings

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Vintage - Actually if PS Mods can put us in touch, I might be interested!!! Would just need to find out shipping. We are getting one that holds more songs for Xmas from my mom, but this would be perfect for me in the truck! LOL!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411 said:
Vintage - Actually if PS Mods can put us in touch, I might be interested!!! Would just need to find out shipping. We are getting one that holds more songs for Xmas from my mom, but this would be perfect for me in the truck! LOL!

Hi Dragonfly :) I am sending you a message on FB since I'm in the PSFB group so be sure to check your others folder. Thanks so much!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karma is already on your side! :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results