shape
carat
color
clarity

Expensive Diamond Jewellery for Children

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1385464091|3563084 said:
Smith, I really think it's a cultural thing. My British in-laws never give any expensive gifts to me, or anyone else for that matter, but they live in a multimillion pound house and aren't exactly on the breadline. I don't think they approve of the number of shoes or handbags I have either! :cheeky:

Americans aren't as frugal, and I'm absolutely convinced that they give more expensive gifts on the whole. My British husband was a horrendous gift giver at the start, and couldn't see what he was doing wrong as in his eyes, it was the thought that counted above all else. Nowadays, I tell him exactly what to buy, or more likely just buy it myself. Giving jewellery to a kid would be outrageous in his view, whereas I have tiny 22k gold bangles that were given to me when I was a baby (which are the cutest things ever!)

I prefer the American attitude to gift giving! :bigsmile:

Aussie men can be really dreadful too...I know several that are perfectly comfortable in planning to get their wives NOTHING this christmas...nada...and it's not because he's 'saving it up' for a bigger purchase for her down the track (such as a jewellery gift).

Alarmingly, my husband has announced he wants not a thing this christmas...which makes me suspect that in fact he is planning to get me not a thing also...hmph my next husband shall be a charming American. Aussie men are savages really lol.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to spoil your daughters a little bit...might make them a bit fussier when it comes to going with a man further down the track... look where being 'easy to please' has gotten Aussie girls lol.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1385454653|3563060 said:
I wouldn't care one way or another. Different people have different conceptions of luxury.

Jewelry is luxurious, and arguably does have little utility. But, laptops, IPhones, IPads, lots of new clothes, and even some 'basics' for many like heaters and AC's, WiFi, clean water and constant power, an education, and more, can be considered luxurious too. Does it create ungrateful, spoiled brats? Probably sometimes, and probably not at other times.

Then again, how grateful have we been for what we have that's a luxury to others?

Interesting point!

How many kids/teens are given a nice piece to mark a special occasion but have to work for stuff like the bolded? A lady in my calculus class doesn't even just buy her two kids clothes. They have to take care of their stuff and "work" for anything new they need. (nothing over the top! Just enough to teach them to value stuff.)

On the other hand, how many kids are loaded down with thousands of dollars in electronics and name brands because it is what they are entitled to?

Luxury really is a matter of scale to an individual family!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1385454653|3563060 said:
I wouldn't care one way or another. Different people have different conceptions of luxury.

Jewelry is luxurious, and arguably does have little utility. But, laptops, IPhones, IPads, lots of new clothes, and even some 'basics' for many like heaters and AC's, WiFi, clean water and constant power, an education, and more, can be considered luxurious too. Does it create ungrateful, spoiled brats? Probably sometimes, and probably not at other times.

Then again, how grateful have we been for what we have that's a luxury to others?

+1

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've got needy houseguests for a week who won't let me out of their sight, so sorry for not having time to read and respond to all. Just wanted to say, some excellent points here! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results