shape
carat
color
clarity

Make sure you get the ring size right with Brian Gavin!

PEACEWARRIOR

Rough_Rock
I recently proposed to my girlfriend and it went very smooth but the BrIan Gavin Tiffany style e-ring was too big. She had told me she was a ring size 5.5 even though she has dainty fingers. I suspected she was wrong but she insisted it was the right ring size and now I have to get it resized. Well, yesterday we went to two jewelry store and had ring finger sized. The first lady at the store saw her dainty fingers and said she was a size 4 and confirmed it with a ring sizer. My fiancé said the lady was wrong. :shock: So off to another jewelry store and the lady size her ring finger at 4 and said she could go even smaller. I was very frustrated with my fiancé. :angryfire:

I bought the Tiffany style ring setting 18 karat and HA diamond from Bryan Gavin. I spoke with JAMIE and my frustration with getting the wrong E- ring size. They felt bad for me but that it would cost me $75.00 because it was over one full size. I did not read Brian Gavin ring setting policy when I bought the BG ring setting. Thank God I did not buy the matching wedding band at that time like they wanted me to.

They have nice jewelry and diamonds but VERY STRICT with their polices and will not bend even if you plan to buy the matching wedding band from them. READ BRIAN GAVIN'S POLICY BEFORE BUYING! I was going to buy the matching wedding band from Brian Gavin but looks like I will shop somewhere else for the wedding band. I think Whiteflash's policy is a lot more flexible then Brian Gavin's so I will be calling Whiteflash.

My advice to you guys out there when buying an e-ring make darn sure you know the ring size and DO NOT take your girlfriend's word. Take her to a jewelry store and get her ring finger sized or what happened to me will happen to you.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seems odd......I would call Leslie at BGD and tell her the story.

PEACEWARRIOR

Rough_Rock
I will call Leslie and let you know what happens.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PEACEWARRIOR|1385411511|3562699 said:
I recently proposed to my girlfriend and it went very smooth but the BrIan Gavin Tiffany style e-ring was too big. She had told me she was a ring size 5.5 even though she has dainty fingers. I suspected she was wrong but she insisted it was the right ring size and now I have to get it resized. Well, yesterday we went to two jewelry store and had ring finger sized. The first lady at the store saw her dainty fingers and said she was a size 4 and confirmed it with a ring sizer. My fiancé said the lady was wrong. :shock: So off to another jewelry store and the lady size her ring finger at 4 but said she could go even smaller. I was very frustrated with my fiancé. :angryfire:

I bought the Tiffany style ring and diamond from Bryan Gavin and spoke with JAMIE and my frustration with getting the wrong E- ring size. They felt bad for me but that it would cost me $75.00 because it was over one full size. I did not read Brian Gavin ring setting policy when I bought the BG ring setting. Thank God I did not buy the matching wedding band at that time like they wanted me to.

They have nice jewelry and diamonds but VERY STRICT with their polices and will not bend even if you plan to buy the matching wedding band from them. READ BRIAN GAVIN'S POLICY BEFORE BUYING! I was going to buy the matching wedding band from Brian Gavin but looks like I will shop somewhere else for the wedding band. I think Whiteflash's policy is a lot more flexible then Brian Gavin's so I will be calling Whiteflash.

My advice to you guys out there when buying an e-ring make darn sure you know the ring size and DO NOT take your girlfriend's word. Take her to a jewelry store and get her ring finger sized or what happened to me will happen to you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but... how is it BG's fault you ordered the wrong size and/or didn't read any policies? Hindsight is 20/20, but you should have made sure of the correct size prior to ordering (especially since you had reason to believe her fingers were smaller than she stated...). That said, $75.00 does sseem a little on the steep side, but certainly not out of the question. Sizing up or down more than 1 full size can sometimes make the ring "off-round." I'm thinking they may have to totally reset her ring to make sure it looks perfect. :)) That's a pretty standard policy to charge a fee for sizing up or down more than 1 size... assuming they made the ring the size you requested to begin with. Just call and talk to them, they may not charge you. Good luck, OP. :))

PEACEWARRIOR

Rough_Rock
"Don't take this the wrong way, but... how is it BG's fault you ordered the wrong size and/or didn't read any policies? Hindsight is 20/20, but you should have made sure of the correct size prior to ordering (especially since you had reason to believe her fingers were smaller than she stated...). That said, $75.00 does sseem a little on the steep side, but certainly not out of the question. Sizing up or down more than 1 full size can sometimes make the ring "off-round." I'm thinking they may have to totally reset her ring to make sure it looks perfect. :)) That's a pretty standard policy to charge a fee for sizing up or down more than 1 size... assuming they made the ring the size you requested to begin with. Just call and talk to them, they may not charge you. Good luck, OP. :))"

I never said it was BG's fault and was just explaining my frustration with my error and relying on my now fiancé's word that she was a size 5.5. I suspected she was smaller but when she insisted it was a 5.5 I had to go with it as I wanted the proposal to be a surprise and not raise any flags. The proposal went perfect and a total surprise to her except the e-ring was too big for her ring finger.

I like BG's e-ring and diamonds so does my fiancé. I would think they would be flexible with their policy when the customer(Me) explains the e-ring size error and the same customer wants buy their matching wedding band to the e-ring.

The second reason for the post was to warn guys out there to read policies and make sure they confirm ring size finger.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PEACEWARRIOR|1385416591|3562740 said:
I never said it was BG's fault and was just explaining my frustration with my error and relying on my now fiancé's word that she was a size 5.5. I suspected she was smaller but when she insisted it was a 5.5 I had to go with it as I wanted the proposal to be a surprise and not raise any flags. The proposal went perfect and a total surprise to her except the e-ring was too big for her ring finger.

I like BG's e-ring and diamonds so does my fiancé. I would think they would be flexible with their policy when the customer(Me) explains the e-ring size error and the same customer wants buy their matching wedding band to the e-ring.

The second reason for the post was to warn guys out there to read policies and make sure they confirm ring size finger.

Yes, I would agree that it's important to read all policies and disclaimers, especially with such an expensive purchase. They may go ahead and size it for you, but just remember, this is why places have policies to begin with, and it is the buyer's responsibility to read them. I hope they'll do it for you, but if not, I understand why. I'd just pay the $75 and let your fiance wear her ring. That's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, after all. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with MSOP. I don't see anything wrong.

I sympathize, but I don't see why they should eat the price of shipping and sizing for something they had no fault in.

And also, if you get is sized elsewhere you might void the warranty. So... I suggest you read the polices of any vendor before you buy. And you send the ring to BGD for the sizing.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your frustration with your fiance (that would really tick me off too!! :angryfire: ), but it seems that you are sort of making it seem like BG is the "bad guy" in this... they're not. They made the size that was ordered and are following their policy. In the end, it was a mistake, but BG was not involved in it. ::)

Again, you may be able to get them to waive the fee if you call them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1385417866|3562759 said:
I understand your frustration with your fiance (that would really tick me off too!! :angryfire: ), but it seems that you are sort of making it seem like BG is the "bad guy" in this... they're not. They made the size that was ordered and are following their policy. In the end, it was a mistake, but BG was not involved in it. ::)

I doubt they'll waive it. Unless it's for Customer Relations reasons because he's put this up on PS.

I wouldn't waive my policy for this situation.

Just don't want to raise your hopes.

This is exactly the kind of situation these polices are meant to address.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1385419138|3562789 said:
msop04|1385417866|3562759 said:

I doubt they'll waive it. Unless it's for Customer Relations reasons because he's put this up on PS.

I wouldn't waive my policy for this situation.

Just don't want to raise your hopes.

This is exactly the kind of situation these polices are meant to address.

Yeah, I agree, Gypsy... trying to be positive for the OP. ;))

PEACEWARRIOR

Rough_Rock
I am going to send the e-ring back to BG and pay the $75 resize fee. The fiancé wants BG to resize it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
PEACEWARRIOR|1385421814|3562821 said:
I am going to send the e-ring back to BG and pay the $75 resize fee. The fiancé wants BG to resize it.
Smart lady.
You want to preserve your warranty.
BGD has great quality (my pieces from them have always appraised well on manufacturing quality), but things do happen.

:wavey:

PEACEWARRIOR

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1385422211|3562828 said:
Smart lady.
BGD has great quality (my pieces from them have always appraised well on manufacturing quality), but things do happen.

I am sending it back to keep the peace with her.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PEACEWARRIOR|1385422760|3562835 said:
Smart lady.

Maybe have her pay it? As this seems like her error. I know its probably shared between the two. But still.

kaoms352

Rough_Rock
I don't see how its BGD fault that your fiancé told you the wrong size...why should they eat the cost? :roll:

Everyone that orders the wrong size is going to have a "story" of why they ordered the wrong size so why should they bend because of you?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was a good idea to post this PEACEWARRIOR in order to underline, particularly when ordering on-line, the importance of getting the ring size right and being aware of the company's policies up front so these kind of issues don't come along as an unexpected surprise. The added complication with the engagement ring purchase is that it is so often being bought for another person who complicate things with their own quirks and tastes!

I'm glad you are dealing with this in the the way that you are. You need to be free to get on with enjoying your engagement.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
This thread seems unfair to BGD, actually. Perhaps the title should be edited, or the entire thread deleted. None of this is BGD's fault. Don't go dragging them through the mud when all of the problem is on your end.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PEACEWARRIOR|1385422760|3562835 said:
Smart lady.

Smart man! Problem solved! :bigsmile:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Polished|1385423509|3562842 said:
I think it was a good idea to post this PEACEWARRIOR in order to underline, particularly when ordering on-line, the importance of getting the ring size right and being aware of the company's policies up front so these kind of issues don't come along as an unexpected surprise. The added complication with the engagement ring purchase is that it is so often being bought for another person who complicate things with their own quirks and tastes!

I'm glad you are dealing with this in the the way that you are. You need to be free to get on with enjoying your engagement.

This is a very important point- of course it's a shame that you were put through any inconvenience Peacewarrior( great name by the way)
As a married guy- my advice is not to put the lady through any stresses over this.

In general: it's important to get the ring size correct no matter where you buy.
As others have mentioned, having the original seller take care of resize is a great move- it protects the buyer.
Any good seller will make sure the size adjustment is properly done.
Re-size places a stress on a ring. That's why it's in your best interest, as the owner of the ring, to try to have it resized as few times as possible to avoid repeated stresses.
This is particularly important with micro pave shanks.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
People........the OP is not blaming BGD, he just told us the size of the ring he ordered is wrong and has to get it corrected.
$75 is a deal for the resizing and shipping back to you.
Best of luck.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
WillyDiamond|1385427613|3562881 said:
People........the OP is not blaming BGD, he just told us the size of the ring he ordered is wrong and has to get it corrected.
$75 is a deal for the resizing and shipping back to you.
Best of luck.

True. But it would be easy to misinterpret based on the OP's wording.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I feel for you, but also agree that bad publicity shouldn't fall upon BGD because of this. Would you consider changing the thread title to simply "Make sure you get the ring size right?" You just have to hit the "message admin" button below. Good luck with your resize!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1385425713|3562861 said:
Polished|1385423509|3562842 said:

This is a very important point- of course it's a shame that you were put through any inconvenience Peacewarrior( great name by the way)
As a married guy- my advice is not to put the lady through any stresses over this.

In general: it's important to get the ring size correct no matter where you buy.
As others have mentioned, having the original seller take care of resize is a great move- it protects the buyer.
Any good seller will make sure the size adjustment is properly done.
Re-size places a stress on a ring. That's why it's in your best interest, as the owner of the ring, to try to have it resized as few times as possible to avoid repeated stresses.
This is particularly important with micro pave shanks.

Agree with Polished and Rockdiamond. This is YOUR RING TO HER. I don't understand why you're getting so mad at the ring being a different size. Big deal. Get it sized correctly, PAY FOR IT YOURSELF because you know, it's supposed to be your gift to her..... and end of story. What's with all the drama?!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I own several rings sized 5.75, 6 and 6.5. They all fit the same finger. Sometimes different styles can fit differently and vendors' sizing tools aren't all exactly the same. (You find that shoes of the same size all fit the same? I sure don't.) Not to mention a woman's fingers can swell. So no one is to blame. When guessing about ring size expect to do some tweaking no matter what size you order and be thrilled if you get it right the first time.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
This has nothing to do with Brian Gavin. They haven't done anything wrong and don't deserve to get bad press in the form of this thread. Its your mistake cough up the $75 and move on

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1385417769|3562757 said:
I agree with MSOP. I don't see anything wrong.

I sympathize, but I don't see why they should eat the price of shipping and sizing for something they had no fault in.

And also, if you get is sized elsewhere you might void the warranty. So... I suggest you read the polices of any vendor before you buy. And you send the ring to BGD for the sizing.
Exactly my thoughts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thread title should be "Make sure you get the ring size right"minus the BGD part. BGD and other vendors and their policies have little bearing on this. Whilst I understand the OP's frustration, he should have double checked and not taken her word for it, hence he is paying for it now.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I feel bad for the fiancé. It seems you are mad at her for a very simple mistake. I wouldn't put up with that, sorry. :nono: Maybe it just came across wrong and you really don't get this mad :angryfire: about a ring sizing error on her part.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1385474007|3563129 said:
I feel bad for the fiancé. It seems you are mad at her for a very simple mistake. I wouldn't put up with that, sorry. :nono: Maybe it just came across wrong and you really don't get this mad :angryfire: about a ring sizing error on her part.

I think id have been a tad peeved if I went with my SO to 2 different stores, was told by two different people here size, and she was like "nope... wrong"

I know that was after the ring was already purchased, but i could see how thats annoying.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1385474329|3563132 said:
Heidibrooke|1385474007|3563129 said:

I think id have been a tad peeved if I went with my SO to 2 different stores, was told by two different people here size, and she was like "nope... wrong"

I know that was after the ring was already purchased, but i could see how thats annoying.

She went to the two different stores to be sized, after she already had her ring, right? Maybe she thought the first person who sized her was wrong since she truly thought she was in the size 5 range, nothing wrong with checking again. If my fiancé got that mad over a ring size (not saying he really was, might've just come across that way), I'd be telling him to keep the ring, just sayin. I can't deal with men with short fuses, but that's my $0.02. :D. I'm glad to see he is having it resized for her, and I wish them all the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results