shape
carat
color
clarity

How much sparkle/fire should I be looking for .25ctw studs?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I recently got a pair of HOF .25ctw studs and was just packaging them up to go back because they look like cut glass to me. No real fire and very little sparkle. Then of course in the light I was packaging them up in, there was the fire I could not under any light before get them to throw when trying to get it. I expected little fireballs. Are my expectations too high for that size?

ETA-Even the fire I was seeing was really subtle, like really subtle. My 1 or 2 point bezel wedding band from BGD throws off as much or more than these do.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Re: How much sparkle/fire should I be looking for .25ctw stu

Oh noo! I thought the HoF studs would be spectacular! Is it possible they're not HoF? You only have the seller's word, I guess.

Regarding the amount of sparkle to be expected in these small diamonds: Remember I said that I got a pair of ACA WF 0.30 ctw studs, expecting them to be vastly superior in sparkle to my generic 0.25 ctw old studs? Well, they're not. I don't think there's much difference between them at all, despite the fact that the ACAs MUST be a much better cut. The generics were bought from a local jeweller when I had no clue about diamonds, before the internet, even, and they cost the equivalent of about $400.

When you say that your 1-2 pt bezel wedding band throws off more light, I wonder if that's because they are a lot of diamonds together, so they are throwing off a band of light, giving a performance in concert with each other?

With my two pairs of baby bezels, I did come to the conclusion that for very small, single diamonds of that small size, these super-ideal cuts don't make as much difference as you'd expect.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Smith. But do you get any real fire or sparkle from either set of your tiny study? I love the size of these and they are super comfy but they just seem like duds. Like cut glass. I am also wondering if the actual stud might not be a HOF.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

HOF's cut should be excellent, and they should sparkle a ton even for that size. Were these diamonds extremely dirty on the pavillion?

The listing stated a serial number... did you receive the paperwork with it? A lot of brands do stamp the posts only, but I wonder if they were fakes.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

ForteKitty|1385400418|3562576 said:
HOF's cut should be excellent, and they should sparkle a ton even for that size. Were these diamonds extremely dirty on the pavillion?

The listing stated a serial number... did you receive the paperwork with it? A lot of brands do stamp the posts only, but I wonder if they were fakes.

No paperwork and nothing stamped on the posts.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is it too late to take them in and have them cleaned by a jeweler? I have a couple little diamonds, including a .10 H&A and it is a fireball. Also, a small mine cut diamond that blazes. Little stones can pack a punch.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are they clean? Does the cut look good? You should be able to see the arrows fairly easily. They ought to be very sparkly since they are HOFs.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

MC|1385402638|3562592 said:

Is it too late to take them in and have them cleaned by a jeweler? I have a couple little diamonds, including a .10 H&A and it is a fireball. Also, a small mine cut diamond that blazes. Little stones can pack a punch.

Yes. They are all packaged up and in my mailbox to be overnighted back tonight. The seller said he would credit me back as soon as he received them tomorrow. I cleaned them twice in my ultrasonic and threw in my wedding band and ering with it. My rings came out fireballs, the earrings still duds.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1385402972|3562596 said:
Are they clean? Does the cut look good? You should be able to see the arrows fairly easily. They ought to be very sparkly since they are HOFs.

I could see arrows but they didn't look like my BGD H&A stones. I had to tilt the HOF to see arrows, looking dead on them they looked plastic almost, like I couldn't see into them. I feel pretty sure from what I am hearing they are fakes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sorry that the studs are disappointing but glad they are refundable.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1385403298|3562605 said:
I am sorry that the studs are disappointing but glad they are refundable.

Thanks. They weren't a total miss. They did confirm they are the style and size I want. So now I just need them from someone more trusted. Maybe black Friday will bring a deal!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

awww what a bummer to hear that they might not be HOFs. I was waiting to hear what you thought of them.... Maybe try and see if you can get your return shipping cost refunded as well especially since they were misrepresented . Darn. Hopefully something else comes up.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I might try to ask for that after they return the original costs first but I'm most concerned right now with making sure they actually credit back the original amount. I don't think it will be a problem since their feedback is good but who knows. I've asked BGD for an inspection period on their pre set studs, if they grant it I might just buy theirs, they have the best price I'm just leery of the size discrepancy between theirs and WF's.

Still waiting to hear from Luann too at IDJ.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Stepcutgirl - sorry for the late reply. I've got some pretty intense houseguests right now.

To answer your question, yes, both pairs of my studs sparkle really quite well. I don't think they sparkle as much as my 0.70 HoF e-ring, but having said that, when diamonds are on your ears you can't really see the sparkle that well. They are best viewed directly from the side, which is of course not possible when you're wearing them.

Have you tried seeing what a local jeweller has to offer? I also have baby bezels in yellow gold, again from a local place, costing $400. So that's two pairs of baby bezels that I got locally for around that place, and at least you can see them with your eyes before you buy.

I also ordered BGD baby bezels but they are exceedingly small and light, and weirdly, were much lighter than the WF bezels. Also, the diamonds seemed smaller. But note that this was for the signature melee in a handmade bezel - the pre-set studs from BGD might well be sturdier.

Since you may not want to pay the WF prices (and they ARE really expensive - I'd have to look at my paperwork but they were something between $850 - $950 about 18 months ago), I think IDJ might be a good bet.

Alternatively, here are two non-bezel pre-set options from Blue Nile for just $400 ctw for 0.25, or $540 ctw 0.31, 18k white gold, screwbacks. If you search online, you can get a 10% discount code on these prices. Blue Nile has always, always over-delivered on their diamond jewellery, and I've bought a lot from them. I've found the diamonds in all their jewellery to be just stunning, even when the promised cut isn't so great. Anyway, these aren't bezels but they're a cost-effective option and in my experience are bound to be very sparkly indeed. Returns are also easy if they don't suit.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-white-gold_5149?track=po

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-white-gold_5150?track=po

Houseguests calleth me. Apologies in advance if I don't get back for a short while - they're gonna keep me pretty busy through Tuesday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results