shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your Emeralds

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
This thread!!!

I want emerald cut emerald studs so badly! May try to work with a pair of tourmaline and gold hoops I was given to do something clustery but it won't be the same!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
goldfishpie your emerald and setting are gorgeous !!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I thought I might just include mine :angel: I actually was looking for a thread on how to clean my emerald and saw this thread.
I did post this ring in show me the bling when I got it at the Miami Beach Antique and Jewelry show this year.
I love all of the beautiful emeralds in this thread!

20140203_4.jpg

20140203_5.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Two Trapiche Emeralds from Muzo COL

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool trapiches. When we were in Columbia I saw these for the first time. I never saw one mounted and I never priced them out as I was looking for more traditional stones.

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here's mine. A 3.3 ct natural, untreated cabochon in an original 1930s setting.

And a Georgian emerald and table cut diamond band:

_22303.jpg

_22304.jpg

_22305.jpg

_22306.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I love the gold ring with the 3 marquise diamonds! Would be a beautiful design for FCDs!

The emeralds are beautiful too!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
lambskin|1410583461|3750189 said:
Cool trapiches. When we were in Columbia I saw these for the first time. I never saw one mounted and I never priced them out as I was looking for more traditional stones.

This is a link with a ring - maybe a bit to dark if you wear it.

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Bogota-Bling-Emerald-Ring.htm

My Trapiche are small - around 0,60 ct each - maybe for earrings. Interesting is that some have a cateye on the six segments - both show it.

http://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-unveiling-cats-eye-effect-in-colombia-emerald-pair

Fantastic one of a kind pair of large cat eye emeralds

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Can I play? Here's my 6.5 ct emerald, oiled only. These are pics taken by the PS'er I got it from, as I don't have it over here with me. It's safely locked up until I get back Stateside. :appl: :appl:

emeraldring2_0.jpg

emeraldring1_0.jpg

emeraldring3_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nissy|1414278327|3772646 said:
Here is a platinum emerald ring that I just bought . It' a 1.2 ct Colombian emerald.
The saturation on this emerald is even more vivid in person.

Wow, that's a gorgeous emerald. The saturation is something so hard to capture with a camera, but that's one of the nicest photographic tries I've seen. It's so hard to get that deep bluish green on camera, and such a beautiful classic setting too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nissy, your ring is stunning.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nissy - that is one beautiful emerald and one stunning ring!

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Here is my emerald. I bought the stone from a friend working for his family business in India whose focus is emeralds. I had it set by my jeweler.

p1010909.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nissy, please come back and tell us more about your ring.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another impulse :wall:

emeraldring.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Limosun, I love your emerald. Can you tell us its story?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1415427172|3779597 said:
Limosun, I love your emerald. Can you tell us its story?

Embarrassing lack of will power? Was at the Intergem show today...one of my old go-to pearl vendors (and friend of my neighbor's son) had a tray of CS jewelry which is unusual for her. She said on her recent buying trip overseas, one of her primary dealers asked her if she wanted to try and sell some old stock that he had from back when he sold CS jewelery. She wasn't aware of treatments as she doesn't know CS stones. She has known the dealer for over 35 years. She said because of the old stock costs so she would sell it to me at a bargain. We've done enough business that she usually gives me a very low price right away. But even at $2500, I didn't have the money but she dropped the price a bit and said I could put a deposit down and take the ring. Don't know much about emeralds but given the setting was fairly substantial (18k, .90 ctw diamonds, 6.42 grams), it seemed like not too much of a risk. Also, the stone faces up more like 1.5 carats for a CS while sold as 1.01..not sure if that is typical for an emerald. The stone also seems nicer than anything I ever thought would be in my price range so I had to buy it :wall:

I guess I should send it to AGL since I have time before the other payments, but I am so lazy.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful. :twirl: . The GemBrief will probably cost you $100, with shipping, which is worth it for the piece of mind.

I know the feeling of being lazy about sending things to AGL. It was several years before I sent my first major gem purchase, but the high I got from knowing it was untreated was great. Think about how good you will feel if the treatment is minimal (which is okay for emerald in my book)! Or how good you feel to know it is uber treated and you can return it! After doing it once, I have no longer felt as much inertia to submit things. It can be hard to part with our pretties, but it's worth it.

Emeralds are not as dense as diamonds or sapphires, so they face up larger compared to these.

I think TL has commented on what treatments are okay (to her) for emeralds. I don't know where to find the info right now.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1357215761|3346141 said:
You asked to see the ugly green blob and so you'll get to see my ugly green blob. :tongue: It looks translucent to opaque in my pictures and the colour looks either too blue or too yellow. It is just a bear to photograph as it doesn't look like this at all in person. I've pretty much given up on trying to photograph it anymore. :(sad

Chrono, my right pinky sticks out a little just like yours does in this picture from the first page. We are pinky twins.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and I know its good advice. I remember getting the report on my cuprian tourmaline that led me to PS...felt like winning the lottery.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
llimosun, I think we are both on the East Coast and we're both still up posting to PS! It's 3:11 am!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1415434152|3779614 said:
llimosun, I think we are both on the East Coast and we're both still up posting to PS! It's 3:11 am!

Laughing...you are correct and I was wondering if you were in a different time zone. Good night and nice posting with you :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1415432552|3779606 said:
It looks beautiful. :twirl: . The GemBrief will probably cost you $100, with shipping, which is worth it for the piece of mind.

I know the feeling of being lazy about sending things to AGL. It was several years before I sent my first major gem purchase, but the high I got from knowing it was untreated was great. Think about how good you will feel if the treatment is minimal (which is okay for emerald in my book)! Or how good you feel to know it is uber treated and you can return it! After doing it once, I have no longer felt as much inertia to submit things. It can be hard to part with our pretties, but it's worth it.

Emeralds are not as dense as diamonds or sapphires, so they face up larger compared to these.

I think TL has commented on what treatments are okay (to her) for emeralds. I don't know where to find the info right now.

I'll reiterate, feel free to add on, or correct me.

Emeralds have various states of treatment identified by AGL ----------> none, faint, minor, moderate, strong. Most emeralds fall into the moderate category, which is still fine for an emerald. If the treatment is less than that, consider yourself fortunate. If it's "strong," then stay away, but most really cloudy emeralds fall into the "strong" category. I don't think your emerald falls into that category just by looking at it.

So, then you have to consider what kind of filler is used. Colorless cedarwood oil has been an accepted filler for eons, but the newer polymers, like Opticon, are also safe. I would make sure its not colored oil, polymer, or resin, and that its stable. When I mean stable, it can be removed or replaced, and it has a good life. Opticon will last forever from what I hear, but oil needs to be replaced every few years. The latter is still acceptable, but it's higher maintenance, and cleaning the stone will make the oil disappear faster, especially with an ultrasonic cleaner. However, I would never put an emerald, or any gem for that matter, in such a device (others may disagree with me on that point). I wouldn't use a steam cleaner on them either.

Beware of irradiation, synthetics and emerald doublets as well.

Nice emerald!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The whole ring is beautiful, Lilmosun, and a super deal. Helps to know the right people! If I'd bought that, I'd be thrilled to pieces. :appl:

allemerald

Rough_Rock
I'm new in here, here is my Zambian emerald,
Because I cant' find ane appraiser in my country, I juust want to know, how much worth for my emerald.
Don't look ring, only silver
2.65 ct Zambian emerald

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
lilmosun|1415434670|3779616 said:

Laughing...you are correct and I was wondering if you were in a different time zone. Good night and nice posting with you :)
:dance: I'm up again! Yes, it was nice to message back and forth. Too bad we do not have a real message feature.

Had to look back this thread. Man, I really want an emerald.

Aliemerald, I think the value of your stone depends a lot on the level of treatment. Its color is very beautiful. Does it have a window in the middle? I think the best way to determine the value of your item is to find what similar stones are selling for on the current market. Sometimes there are regional differences, so you may want to look at stores in your area.

Here is one emerald source: www.embassyemeralds.com... They sell mostly Columbian emeralds, which fetch a higher price than emeralds from other areas. If you were to sell the emerald on your own, without a retail outlet, you should expect to get less than a store would.

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
TL|1414289894|3772726 said:
Nissy|1414278327|3772646 said:
Here is a platinum emerald ring that I just bought . It' a 1.2 ct Colombian emerald.
The saturation on this emerald is even more vivid in person.

Wow, that's a gorgeous emerald. The saturation is something so hard to capture with a camera, but that's one of the nicest photographic tries I've seen. It's so hard to get that deep bluish green on camera, and such a beautiful classic setting too.

i think the photos are vendor shots. here are some more pics from the same vendor.

h_3.jpg

h_4.jpg

h_5.jpg

h_moradi_2.jpg

allemerald

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1415465731|3779778 said:
lilmosun|1415434670|3779616 said:

:dance: I'm up again! Yes, it was nice to message back and forth. Too bad we do not have a real message feature.

Had to look back this thread. Man, I really want an emerald.

Aliemerald, I think the value of your stone depends a lot on the level of treatment. Its color is very beautiful. Does it have a window in the middle? I think the best way to determine the value of your item is to find what similar stones are selling for on the current market. Sometimes there are regional differences, so you may want to look at stores in your area.

Here is one emerald source: www.embassyemeralds.com.... They sell mostly Columbian emeralds, which fetch a higher price than emeralds from other areas. If you were to sell the emerald on your own, without a retail outlet, you should expect to get less than a store would.

pregcurious,thank you .maybe i'll bring it to Gemologist on monday for get info about treatment .
maybe it has a window in a middle. i'm not sure .
i'm from overseas . SEA region . so if i take a price about up $500 is it worth ?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Can't remember exact weight, near 5 carats. Purchased several years ago at a gem show. North facing window light. Great color, but an inclusion the entire width of the stone reaches the surface. Obviously I couldn't have afforded it had it been perfect.

_23968.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results