shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding oval diamond

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here (well lurking a while, fairly new to posting) and I'd really appreciate some help in finding an antique/vintage oval diamond. As far as I understand, this shape wasn't reallyn until the 1950s so it'd love to find a stone from the 50s or 60s.

It's for my engagement ring - I'm intending to set it in a very fine halo 3-stone style... Something from about 0.9 to 1.5 carats and eye-clean would be ideal, and anything from G to J colour. As i plan for a fairly low setting the most important thing is really that it faces up pretty white. Depending on the colour I'll set it in either white or rose gold. Rather embarrassing to admit, but something that looks a fairly good size is important to me (*hangs head in shame*) and I don't think I'm super picky or discerning. Actually I love all things antiquey and generally wonky/characterful, so I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on colour/clarity is long as it wasn't hugely noticeable to my untrained eye.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on JewelsbyEricaGrace and OldWorldDiamonds but most seem to be OEC, OMC or antique cushion. So far no luck in turning up an oval or an elongated antique cushion that looks fairly oval-y. If any of you have ideas on where I could look I'd be hugely appreciative. I'm going to cross-post this in the diamonds section - not sure exactly where it should go but hopefully the mods will!

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Thanks - quite a few I've tried, but definitely some I haven't. I've found a few stones already set in rings, but I'd ideally like a loose stone. I don't mind dismantling a very plain simple band stone to get the oval, but I'd hate to take apart a beautiful piece of jewelry. There's also the factor that I'd rather not end up paying for a setting I have no intention of using.

In terms of budget it's pretty tight, I'd like to keep the stone under $4000 as I expect the setting to be pretty pricey. I'm also in the UK so will have to pay customs etc. From looking around it seems that is doable but if I'm being totally unrealistic please someone tell me!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I suggest you find the nicest largest stone and get a simple setting. You could upgrade the setting later.

This stone on JA is awesome and the med. blue fl. is a plus…of course it is way over budget but the PSr's in here are great at helping you find the best setting on a budget:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.41-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-167667

Here are some others on JA but none of the ovals are antique faceted and the cheaper cushion is square but chunky and nice:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/?CaratFrom=1.07&CaratTo=10.00&Color=K&PriceFrom=400&PriceTo=999000&Sort=Carat%20asc,%20DefaultOrder&TabSelected=3&ps=15&DiamondID=269540,258922,212088,256184,258461,167667

here is an antique oval/cushion 3 stone in halo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360776891164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
For ethical reasons I'm very keen to find an antique/estate stone which unfortunately I think rules JA out (I'd love to be wrong though - - am I? I've been drooling over quite a few of their stones!)

And for sentimental reasons I do not plan any setting upgrade - hopefully the exact ring I'm engaged with will be the ring I wear my whole life, which means getting the setting and stone absolutely right, together.

I certainly don't make life easy for myself!

The Israel Rose and earrings options both look great possibilities so thank you - will definitely investigate both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results