shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding oval diamond for engagement ring

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here (well lurking a while, fairly new to posting) and I'd really appreciate some help in finding an antique/vintage oval diamond. As far as I understand, this shape wasn't reallyn until the 1950s so it'd love to find a stone from the 50s or 60s.

It's for my engagement ring - I'm intending to set it in a very fine halo 3-stone style... Something from about 0.9 to 1.5 carats and eye-clean would be ideal, and anything from G to J colour. As i plan for a fairly low setting the most important thing is really that it faces up pretty white. Depending on the colour I'll set it in either white or rose gold. Rather embarrassing to admit, but something that looks a fairly good size is important to me (*hangs head in shame*) and I don't think I'm super picky or discerning. Actually I love all things antiquey and generally wonky/characterful, so I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on colour/clarity is long as it wasn't hugely noticeable to my untrained eye.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on JewelsbyEricaGrace and OldWorldDiamonds but most seem to be OEC, OMC or antique cushion. So far no luck in turning up an oval or an elongated antique cushion that looks fairly oval-y. If any of you have ideas on where I could look I'd be hugely appreciative. I've been looking for a while for a light peachy pink sapphire which I also love, but for some reason I seem to choose stones which prove super tough to find!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you tried contacting singlestone? they maybe able to find something for you as well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are doing a three stone? So would you have to find 3 antique ovals that match?

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
@niel - I am doing a 3-stone but the side two stones will be significantly smaller, and probably round. I'll try to find a pic of the inspiration (when I'm not on my iPad!) but I don't have any worries about matching.

@d&t yes unfortunately that diamondsbylauren one is a lot more yellow than I'm looking for - I really want something that faces up white. I was looking at the James Allen site but it seemed to me all their stones are modern, even if they look antiquey. The 1.41 stone was lovely though. Unfortunately I am determined not to have a diamond mined in modern times so it rules out an awful lot. Singlestone is a great idea though - I hadn't thought of contacting them so I will do now.

To complicate matters I'm based in the UK so I can't order things easily to look at before I make a decision, i have to pay customs which drives up prices quite a lot etc, and am akready working with a v limited budget (work for a charity so not exactly raking it in!) Very frustrating!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1385259557|3561900 said:
http://www.66mint.com/p-1313-148ct-tw-old-mine-gia-diamond-ring.aspx

:o That is GORGEOUS!
In another thread I know she said the budget for the stone was 4k as the setting would be expensive.

If you're open I'd just buy this and call it a day :lol:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Isn't it?!!! I visit it every few days and think about what I could sell as preloved so I could buy it :naughty:

I would get it in a heartbeat if I could commit to giving up some of my other stuff!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

Seriously. Why hasn't this ring been sold? Sigh. I wish I had more money. I'm about to get a second job and buy that ring. ;-)

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
woofmama|1385257870|3561898 said:
You haven't mentioned your budget but here's a ring with an antique oval that I absolutely would consider :love:
It's gorgeous and I'm sure it's the same designer that asschergirls gorgeous EC ring setting is from.

Oh wow, that is quite something! But it would be a shame to buy it just to remove the stone, no? Unless of course I keep hold of the setting and fine a new stone for it... Yikes, lots to think about.

And yes as someone else noted I'm keen to keep the stone budget at 4000 or lower as I expect the setting to be fairly expensive and don't want to bankrupt my fiancé quite yet!

If nothing else this gives me hope there are oval-y OMCs out there.

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
D&T|1385254100|3561862 said:
hmm since you are in the UK...
try this jeweler as well.

Haughton & Haughton Diamonds

Joseph Haughton

35 Bowhouse Drive

Kirkcaldy

Fife

KY11SB

United Kingdom

they have an ebay store as well:

here is an old mine cut ovalish shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGL-Cert-1-13ct-OLD-MINE-CUT-Diamond-I-VS2-STUNNING-/390268668202?pt=Loose_Gemstones&hash=item5addd3492a

Thanks for the recommendation of someone in the UK - certainly would make things a lot easier! Plus I'm Scottish and will be back home soon. Will definitely contact these guys so thanks.

Any other uk jeweler recommendations very welcome!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1385260151|3561905 said:

In another thread I know she said the budget for the stone was 4k as the setting would be expensive.

If you're open I'd just buy this and call it a day :lol:

+1
This is really pretty!! :love:

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
So I may have found a possibility:

0.95ct

I SI1

5.86-5.13-3.88

75.6 depth, 62 table
very thin to thin
strong blue

I'm hoping the fluorescence might help with it facing up whiter, though I'm not realy sure exactly how that works? The seller suggested that it helps the stone face up more like a G-H. Is that possible?

I'm waiting for pictures to see if the shape is right - from the stats it seems the L/W ratio is only 1.15ish which makes me think it might not have that oval shape I'm looking for. It's an antique cushion, but I was hoping it might be elongated enough to pass for an oval in the right setting. I'm trying not o be too fussy, but at the same time this is a forever-piece so reality is I want it perfect!

And for clarity, I'm finally off my ipad and able to upload the setting inspiration...

_12180.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results