shape
carat
color
clarity

calling TL

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is the way to page somebody, can you help evaluating this spinel please? It's 3.2xct, violet purple. TL, You have so many violet spinels from Tan, lovely lady.

I know Tan's video is under fluor, so although it looks pretty purple here, it might be more greyish blue outdoor?
What do you think of the greyish in this stone? little to none or slightly?
I'm a little concerned about the window but the stone is cut deep (78% depth and there is still a window :errrr: ), if recut to minimize window, i might end up with a <3ct stone?
It is $500+, overall what do you think of the price and quality of this spinel?
Thank you

PS, you are all very welcome to chime in. Thanks again

_12063.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not TL but here's my 2 cents about the cut anyway. :)) Yes, the spinel has quite a window considering the depth. The crown is rather flat though, so when recutting, if you shape it for a nice crown for more dispersion, you are going to lose quite a bit of LxW dimension. It can be tweaked only in the pavilion area to minimize the window but due to the low crown, you might still get a more easily seen tilt window.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1384981888|3560019 said:
Not TL but here's my 2 cents about the cut anyway. :)) Yes, the spinel has quite a window considering the depth. The crown is rather flat though, so when recutting, if you shape it for a nice crown for more dispersion, you are going to lose quite a bit of LxW dimension. It can be tweaked only in the pavilion area to minimize the window but due to the low crown, you might still get a more easily seen tilt window.

That's my concern too, I don't think I will touch the crown. And I don't even know whether I should fix the pavilion either. I've seen lighter stones lost saturation after recut. I think sometimes the native cut just tend to accumulate color saturation. Although the window might be related to the way this stone is sitting in front of the camera, the straight front view might helps to minimize the window. So actual window may not be as horrible as it's seen now?

color wise, and price wise, what's your thought Chrono?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
The saturation looks nice enough on my screen - I'd describe the colour I see as somewhere in the range of 'very slightly greyish' to 'moderately strong', to use multicolour's grading. That said, knowing spinel, I suspect it will be noticeably more grey in hand. I've passed on a lot of greyish purples hoping to find one that pops - and the search continues.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never purchased violet spinels from Tan. Pink spinel, chrysoberyl and blue sapphire only. From what I know, the more intense the picture looks, the better your chances of a nice looking stone. It looks fairly grayish on my monitor. How sure are you that this is one of those blue / purple changers? Has Tan confirmed this?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1384983949|3560043 said:
I've never purchased violet spinels from Tan. Pink spinel, chrysoberyl and blue sapphire only. From what I know, the more intense the picture looks, the better your chances of a nice looking stone. It looks fairly grayish on my monitor. How sure are you that this is one of those blue / purple changers? Has Tan confirmed this?

I never asked. lol, it's usually 2 days to get an answer, and usually not very helpful. I've asked a lot before, he always says medium not dark, good saturation, very little or no grey, no brown at all....and the arrived stone does not match his answer anyway so I gave up.....

I did study a little bit and saved this still picture from TL's spinel. I do not know the size of it, It looks similar to the one I posted. Mine's a little more purple than violet.

I hope this is not a near colorless and overly grey spinel, it's not a cheap stone consider Tan's price on his other spinels.

9856.png

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
a little larger photo to compare...

qq______20131120092752.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Kim Bruun|1384983923|3560042 said:
The saturation looks nice enough on my screen - I'd describe the colour I see as somewhere in the range of 'very slightly greyish' to 'moderately strong', to use multicolour's grading. That said, knowing spinel, I suspect it will be noticeably more grey in hand. I've passed on a lot of greyish purples hoping to find one that pops - and the search continues.

Yes, it is indeed very hard. I've moved on to sapphires already, just happen to see this one listed and thinking it has a potential you know.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Even if the color is nice in hand, the stone begs for a recut - that window would bug me to no end. It would be a small price to pay for the Holy Grail of purple spinels. But I can't count the times I've received a parcel, opened it with trembling hands, feeling the anticipation - and found a small, grey lump inside. :(

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the cut looks pretty bad. From the shots that you posted, that window is terrible (sidenote: Stones that are cut too deep, too shallow or with incorrect pavilion angles can all have windows. Lots of depth =/= no window.) and it looks extinct other than the window. So yeah, factoring in a major recut, a large loss of weight due to the recut, potential coloration loss due to the recut, and high expense for the stone as it is....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1384984743|3560053 said:

I never asked. lol, it's usually 2 days to get an answer, and usually not very helpful. I've asked a lot before, he always says medium not dark, good saturation, very little or no grey, no brown at all....and the arrived stone does not match his answer anyway so I gave up.....

I did study a little bit and saved this still picture from TL's spinel. I do not know the size of it, It looks similar to the one I posted. Mine's a little more purple than violet.

I hope this is not a near colorless and overly grey spinel, it's not a cheap stone consider Tan's price on his other spinels.

I bought one like that identical to the color in his videos.

Here's the video of my stone. Its a color shifter and goes more greyish blue in sunlight.

Here's my pic of it in daylight. I like the stone a lot, but I wish it was cut better. It's on my long list of recuts because the window drives me crazy. It would be gorgeous with a Barry cut for example. I think I paid around $300 for it, but I don't remember. It's 3 carats.

file.jpg

Hope that helps.

tlvioletovalspinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Duh, no wonder that stone looked familar. LOL!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1384992709|3560144 said:

I bought one like that identical to the color in his videos.

Here's the video of my stone. Its a color shifter and goes more greyish blue in sunlight.

Here's my pic of it in daylight. I like the stone a lot, but I wish it was cut better. It's on my long list of recuts because the window drives me crazy. It would be gorgeous with a Barry cut for example. I think I paid around $300 for it, but I don't remember. It's 3 carats.

file.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks TL, it helps a lot!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I don't have a db id anymore. I stopped using that a zillion years ago.

Sorry.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1384993748|3560156 said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a db id anymore. I stopped using that a zillion years ago.

Sorry.

Ha, deleted.
No problem,

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results