carat
color
clarity

Jeff Davies 1.77 carat Sapphire

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone

I have just received a 1.77 carat blue sapphre from Jeff and thought I'd share pictures. Sadly my camera skills leave a lot to be desired. Jeff's pictures are much more accurate than mine.

When I opened the package, I gasped. Literally. Enough said.

I took a million and one pictures and not one showed what I see. I've attached one picture which is the closest but in actual fact - it looks waaay better than that - there's none of that chunky dark stuff going in IRL.

Here's a link to Jeff's pictures ...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/454441418620914705/

In the hand, it is just like Jeff's pictures - I couldn't be more happy with it. There's no grey, no zoning - it's bright, lively and an eye-popping blue and the colour is the same in all lighting conditions.

I will be setting it in a white gold double halo (similar to Tiffany Soleste) as a RHR.

:D

intense_blue.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
it is beautiful! and the double halo will give you such magnificent finger coverage! :love:

who is doing your halo, out of curiosity?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Sonya - thanks for the kind words. I live in Singapore so I will have my local jeweller make the setting for me. He has set many, many pieces for me and I've always been delighted. I've no doubt he will do a marvellous job of the sapphire too. Will post pics when it's done but will not be til after Christmas as he's too busy before then to take on new work.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do hasten to add, though, that I have also used Jeff to set some of the stones I have bought from him and from other dealers. He's always done a fabulous job and I'm very happy with the quality of the work and the price is very competitive.

I am having the sapphire set here because my husband is going to pay for it and he has a preference for face-to-face dealings with the jeweller. And, if he's paying, who am I to argue?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
BlingObsession, I'm in singapore too! :lol: now I'm even more interested in knowing who your local jeweler is!!

I bought my centre stone from Jeff, and debated over having him do the setting - but my FF also has a preference for setting it locally (also had a preference for buying the stone locally, until I made him see reason). what is it with men! but I'm with you - why argue when he's paying for it?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Sonya - let's figure out a way to meet for coffee and we can trade tips!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous popping rich color, congratulations! Also for getting your DH to cough up for it & setting. Way to go! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't give up with the photography because I wanna see it. :cheeky: Hope you two ladies get to meet up and come up with ideas on settings and jewellers you can recommend in your area.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jewelfreak and Chrono. Photographing my stones leads to a great deal of frustration and little in the way of success. On the odd occasion that I get it right - it's an accident and I can't repeat it! I will keep trying tho.

If Sonya and I meet up it will be fantastic to share our experiences and ogle each others gems. Woo hoo!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a lovely stone, thanks for sharing!!! :love:

Usually I am not a fan of split shanks, however, my immediate thought for this stone is a split shank diamond halo.

Enjoy your stone and new ring, whatever the setting may be, as I am sure it will be fabulous!

DK :))

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
BlingObsession, I'm a newbie! only have my five tiny chrysoberyls and my sapphire ER but I'd love to share and see yours!

I'm waiting for my ER to finish and then we can meet :D

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :lickout: :appl: !!!!!

I am so jealous of that! Beautiful!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DK - yes, it will be double halo with split shank. Great minds think alike!

Sonya - love to catch up and I can eyeball your new ring. We can celebrate your engagement - such fun.

Jerani - thank you for your kind words.

:wavey:

Fireworks

Rough_Rock
Hi Bling Obsession and Sonyachacs,

I'm from Singapore too! Where would you gals reccommend for good workmanship on pave projects like what you have set on doing for your fabulous looking sapphire, Bling Obsession?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowza, gorgeous!!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just had to check with my jeweller that he didn't mind me putting his details out on the net.

His name is Kris - his little shop is called Jewellery Point, 14 Scotts Road, #02-104 Far East Plaza, Singapore 228213. Phone: +65 6732 9283. Husband and wife team. I do have an email address for him but I don't think I'm allowed to post that.

I know his shop doesn't look like much - it's tiny - it has a few pre-made pieces on display and lots of native cut stones.

Almost all of his business is custom made which is what I have used him for. I have never bought anything pre-made from him (except for chains) or bought any of his coloured stones.

Originally from Hong Kong, he is a goldsmith trained in the old ways so he takes his time to produce a good quality product - allow at least 6 weeks for intricate stuff). His price is firm - he doesn't do "bargaining". The price is the price but do check if it's the credit card price or cash price - there is a slight difference - as his mark-up is not high - he needs to charge extra if you pay by credit card (about 1.5%).

If you are not happy with the price quoted, he will suggest ways to reduce the cost by altering the design. HIs prices are very fair and the quality is great. He set my fancy yellow pear diamond ring for my 50th. He has also made some amazing rings, pendants and cufflinks which I've never got around to photographing and posting.

I often take pictures in and say - "a bit from that, a bit from that and a bit from that". Somehow he takes my scatty ideas and brings them to life.

I have lived in Singapore as an expat for 12 years and I have used other jewellers here, but he is by far the nicest, most genuine, honest, kind gentle man and he works very hard to do his best for you.

Tell him Karen sent you.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I am from SG too. I telephoned a few jewellers and found their quotations incredibly expensive. Haven't found some one who is able to match the prices of the Etsy jewellery artists. Have you?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Take your design into Kris - once you have built up a relationship with him, you can often email him your design and he'll quote via email. But, for the first time, it's better to see him face-to-face.

I have found, in Asia, that it is much better to speak to the jeweller than call them over the phone for a quote. They are much more helpful when they can see you are a genuine purchaser. Just my experience - others may have a different view and other recommendations for jewellers in Singapore.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing the name of your jeweller! I know 2 other Sing PSers but they have their custom pieces done in the US, then shipped home or they fly over for vacation to pick their rings up.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono

Diamonds + gemstones + jewelry + holiday = great multi-tasking.

I shall have to try that one on my husband - especially as next year is 15th anniversary and I'm thinking a stonking great big diamond ring will be in order! Heh heh heh!

A great excuse to visit New York, I'm thinking.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous sapphire! :love: I've always wanted to go to Singapore.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="BlingObsession|1384930687|3559736"I shall have to try that one on my husband - especially as next year is 15th anniversary and I'm thinking a stonking great big diamond ring will be in order! Heh heh heh! A great excuse to visit New York, I'm thinking.[/quote]

Absolutely! :devil: :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results