shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this OEC Spinel

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I found this spinel listed on Etsy and am curious about the OEC cut. How does the OEC cut affect the performance of the stone?

"Here is a 2.24 carat spinel from Tanzania. It is precision-cut in the U.S. into an 8.1 mm Old European cut (OEC), which gives it nice luster and sparkle. The color is a medium pinkish-purple (the photo on the hand is the most accurate for color). This one holds its color nicely in different lights, without blacking or graying out, and it has nice sparkle in direct light. This spinel is eye-clean (any junk you see on the photos is either surface dirt or the stone sticking to my hand). Spinel is completely natural and untreated."

Lori

oec_purple_spinel.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
ETA...I don't want to purchase this stone...just wondering about the cut.

Lori

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think that stone is on DB too, and that I've seen another thread on it on CS as well. Let me see if I can find it..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, that doesn't look like an actual true OEC, but a RBC with an open cutlet. I could be wrong.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1382283426|3541130 said:
To be honest, that doesn't look like an actual true OEC, but a RBC with an open cutlet. I could be wrong.

This was my thought as well, based on the one photo posted.

FWIW, last year I purchased a small blue Spinel based on its description as cut OEC-style - this was from a completely different vendor (though listed on the PS respected CS vendors thread) - the website photo was quite small but the open culet was distinct so I took a chance - based on the description, I had been expecting a flower or snowflake facet pattern, a deeper pavilion, a higher crown, a small table, and an open culet - turns out the only thing OEC-ish about the cut was the open culet - otherwise it is was a typical round brilliant - I contacted the vendor who agreed that the description was misleading/confusing and provided a full refund.

If I were to try again on buying an OEC-style colored stone, I'd ask the vendor more questions about the cut elements before going forward with a purchase.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1382285483|3541146 said:
TL|1382283426|3541130 said:

This was my thought as well, based on the one photo posted.

FWIW, last year I purchased a small blue Spinel based on its description as cut OEC-style - this was from a completely different vendor (though listed on the PS respected CS vendors thread) - the website photo was quite small but the open culet was distinct so I took a chance - based on the description, I had been expecting a flower or snowflake facet pattern, a deeper pavilion, a higher crown, a small table, and an open culet - turns out the only thing OEC-ish about the cut was the open culet - otherwise it is was a typical round brilliant - I contacted the vendor who agreed that the description was misleading/confusing and provided a full refund.

If I were to try again on buying an OEC-style colored stone, I'd ask the vendor more questions about the cut elements before going forward with a purchase.

Hmm, yeah, that would be disappointing. If I want an OEC, I want all the stuff that goes with an OEC. Why do a RB with a culet? It just lets the light leak out.

D

Deactivated member 42515

These are cut using the diamond OEC diagram, with the angles modified to the RI of spinel. But, otherwise, it's the same cut as an OEC diamond.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I really like the chunky facets and hoped it would be like an OEC diamond. Guess the cut is basically the same. Thank you!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it isn't a true OEC because it would not look as good (diamond properties are different than coloured stones) but the lapidary tried to be as true as possible to the OEC design. I suspect the angles and facet design have been tweaked to not sacrifice too much in any direction.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1382363742|3541609 said:
Looks like it isn't a true OEC because it would not look as good (diamond properties are different than coloured stones) but the lapidary tried to be as true as possible to the OEC design. I suspect the angles and facet design have been tweaked to not sacrifice too much in any direction.

Isn't that what YT just said a few posts before yours, Chrono?

YT|1382308774|3541328 said:
These are cut using the diamond OEC diagram, with the angles modified to the RI of spinel. But, otherwise, it's the same cut as an OEC diamond.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pretty much the same thing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1382456099|3542292 said:
Yes, pretty much the same thing.

Thanks - just making sure.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This spinel is by JuliaB on Etsy. The same vendor that Freke just bought her grey spinel from.

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results