shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you cab a faceted stone?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible to create a cab out of a faceted stone by flipping it over and polishing the underside of the gem? I've always wondered, but never asked. I know that cutters worry about problems that might arise during the cutting process, so I'm wondering if this might be a less risky alternative to recutting a stone. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello,

It is possible to do this, but I believe it would be extremely rare to do so for a few reasons.

1. You will lose a good amount of weight doing this, and you would more than likely not improve the color of the stone.
2. Due to losing color, and carat weight, you would lose a great amount of value.
3. Cabs are historically worth less than faceted stones.
4. A stone that is usually more included is cabbed, so a stone that is faceted would already be cleaner than a cabbed stone.

I just dont see why someone would do it. That being said, I am sure someone has done it, and probably will again, but it doesnt seem like a smart decision.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Jim's reply. It is a losing proposition to cab a faceted stone.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen many faceted stones that had no business being faceted in the first place. For those stones I'd say yes, Cab them all and let God sort them out.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Jim Rentfrow|1384841198|3559002 said:
Hello,

It is possible to do this, but I believe it would be extremely rare to do so for a few reasons.

1. You will lose a good amount of weight doing this, and you would more than likely not improve the color of the stone.
2. Due to losing color, and carat weight, you would lose a great amount of value.
3. Cabs are historically worth less than faceted stones.
4. A stone that is usually more included is cabbed, so a stone that is faceted would already be cleaner than a cabbed stone.

I just dont see why someone would do it. That being said, I am sure someone has done it, and probably will again, but it doesnt seem like a smart decision.

Thank you so much Jim! That makes a lot of sense. The reason I ask is because I found a very nice, yet also included, gemstone with really great color. I think it would have looked best if it were initially cut as it cabochon, and I was wondering if it might be possible to cut it into a one now. To me, the color is fabulous, but the stone is so included that it just doesn't look great as a faceted stone. You're right, in that it was probably cut rather than cabbed because that would increase the value, and because the stone is not soincluded that faceting was not an option at all. I really appreciate your breakdown.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
GregS|1384872585|3559141 said:
I've seen many faceted stones that had no business being faceted in the first place. For those stones I'd say yes, Cab them all and let God sort them out.

That's how I feel about the gym in question; I don't see why it wasn't cabbed in the first place.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results