shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sleep on big decisions?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Is that an actual thing one should do, or is that just a saying? I'm making a big one tonight, but I don't know if I should just make up my mind already, or give it until tomorrow. Its nothing that's going to change the course of my life, or anything like that, so--imagine your run of the mill "big" day to day decision, like spending $1k, or whatever you consider to be "a lot" but still "expendable."

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I try to but it depends on how strong my gut feeling is on a subject. And how big a decision it is. And how big a risk there is of "missing out" if you do take that time.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do. I have found it to be true that things can look quite different in the morning, after a good night's sleep. It seems to refresh your perspective.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the decision. If I feel very strongly about a purchase and it is something I've been planning for, I might decide that night if it means saving an extra $300 (as happened recently).
One thing I consider is what the return policy is -- If you can return it a few days later for a full refund it is a lot easier to just decide and then correct later if needed. If you're looking at custom that is non-refundable then I'd really want to be pretty sure it was the right thing.

It also depends on the consequences of waiting to make a decision. If it is a one-of-a-kind (or even just rare) item and may be gone tomorrow then that is a lot different from fully stocked with more able to order.

Ideally, I do take a night to think and relax before going back to it the next day. Sometimes that doesn't happen. Some of my favorite choices have been made without thinking overnight (my wedding dress and my center stone to name a couple!).... of course some awful paint colors and ugly furniture has appeared in our house that way too :rolleyes:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not usually an impulse shopper, and I always take as much time as possible to make decisions. Sometimes I sleep on things and I end up changing my mind about what I want the next morning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. Sometimes I do but some times I can be impulsive. I do think most things through though but rarely need to sleep on them to make up my mind. The more money something is and the more unsure I am about a purchase the longer it takes me to make up my mind. But, if I am sure about something and I think it is a fair deal I am good to go.

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I often take a few days to think over a really big decision and then other times I can decide very quickly! Surprising to me, since I either decide right away or take a long time, is that the decisions I make very quickly are usually sound!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I've learned always to listen to my gut feeling about something. Every single time I've ignored it, it's been to my regret -- sometimes about very important things. Oddly enough, for a purchase, the bigger the price tag, the less time I need -- like if I am SURE a house is right, make an offer quickly. For stones, I almost always sleep on it -- and then don't buy. The few times I've immediately hit "PUT IN CART" I've gotten wonderful things.

With my animals, for invasive stuff I always take time (unless it's an emergency) -- but end up going with my first gut reaction, which is based on experience & subconscious reasoning, I guess.

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make most of my decisions based on gut feel, as am naturally impulsive.

For making large purchases, the last time I made a significant purchase was last year, on a small trailer for my camping gear, and I worked out a detailed budget to establish if I could afford it before I went ahead a bought it.

In the past, I would have gone ahead and bought it on credit, however, I have had my fingers badly burnt, and have leant a valuable lesson that credit is bad news!

Nowadays, I would always ask "Do I really need this?" before I make a purchase regardless of monetary value.

As for other life changing events, with relationship, job/career etc., it would not take long for me to realise a change was in order, and once I had made the decision to do something about it, I would run with it.

Good luck, whatever it may be.

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is the kind of big decision that cannot be reversed (i.e., no return period or equivalent), or a big decision that came up out of nowhere, I do tend to sleep on the decision. Sometimes by morning my gut feeling is reaffirmed; and sometimes by morning another POV or another option has popped into my brain, changing my initial tentative decision.

But if it involves something I've already committed to in my mind and in my budget, and now I've come across the actual item available for purchase and ticking all my requirements, then no, I don't sleep on it - in a sense, that decision has already been made.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I've done all my research and the answer is clear, then there is no need to sleep on it. Sometimes I know or suspect that I am being impulsive, so for that situation, sleeping on it helps me think about it more objectively the next day. Usually, I end up not buying the item. :cheeky:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's possible, I do normally take my time and sleep on a big decision. I tend to analyze things to death so it makes me feel more comfortable to sleep on it. Once in a while I get impulsive and go with my gut. I've had mixed results both ways.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results