shape
carat
color
clarity

burma ruby?

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have this ring my Dad bought for my mom about ten or eleven years ago. He went on a work trip to Thailand and brought back this ruby ring for her. He said it was Burmese and it cost a couple thousand dollars there and would have cost a lot more here. He was so excited when he gave it to her, she had lost her wedding ring many years before and this was going to replace it. About a year later, they got divorced. They had been married twenty one years. It was a nasty divorce, they were mean and cruel to each other, he asked for the ring back and she told him she had pawned it. But she gave it to me. She told me I could sell it or do whatever I wanted with it. But of course I would never do that. It has a lot of sentimental value to me as it was the last thing he gave her. He knows now that I have it now but it's awkward to talk about it with him. I want to have this ring tested to see what it's worth or to find out if it's really a Burma ruby. Is it possible for a jeweller to find out it's origin? I love this ring no matter what but I am curious to know more about it. It has 750 marked in the band and also what looks to be a diamond with the number 5 next to it and some other numbers I can't really make out. I remember him saying it is .50 carat. I will post a picture. Does it look like a Burma ruby?

1383411481595.jpg

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My tablet camera is not so good.

1383411815553.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
There's no way to know from pictures. It looks like a pretty ring.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
As I am sure all the veterans on this forum will tell you, for not very much money you can get a report on quality and treatment from the very reputable AGL lab in NYC. For a bit more money, they can do other tests on its probable origin. Most jewelers will only guess, and most don't seem to know about colored stones anyway.
It has that glowing Burmese look, to my untrained eye!
Link to AGL prices:
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
As I am sure all the veterans on this forum will tell you, for not very much money you can get a report on quality and treatment from the very reputable AGL lab in NYC. For a bit more money, they can do other tests on its probable origin. Most jewelers will only guess, and most don't seem to know about colored stones anyway.
It has that glowing Burmese look, to my untrained eye!
Link to AGL prices:
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order to find out its origin, you will need to send it to AGL for a report.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your answers :) If I send it to AGL how long does it usually take to get it back? I told my husband I am thinking about sending it to New York and he said I probably won't ever get it back lol. But I am sure a lot of you on here have done it and have had no problems. Before I started researching a little, I thought maybe my Dad got tricked into thinking he bought a burmese ruby that was really from Thailand but I have read that it's possible to buy real Burma rubies there. I think he bought it Bangkok.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383420899|3549159 said:
Thank you for your answers :) If I send it to AGL how long does it usually take to get it back? I told my husband I am thinking about sending it to New York and he said I probably won't ever get it back lol. But I am sure a lot of you on here have done it and have had no problems. Before I started researching a little, I thought maybe my Dad got tricked into thinking he bought a burmese ruby that was really from Thailand but I have read that it's possible to buy real Burma rubies there. I think he bought it Bangkok.

Both are quite reasonable conclusions, as Bangkok is probably the gem capitol of the world. There are Thai rubies as well as Burmese rubies. There are also a gazillion types of treatments for corundum, and specifically ruby, that would bring the value down tremendously. While a lot of jewelers claim they can know these things, as other posters have already said, the only way to know for sure is to send it to a lab, preferably AGL. Just be aware that testing for origin in a mounted ring will not be cheap (probably running a couple of hundred).

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Haven't done it myself, so I don't know the timing. Suspect two weeks or more. I doubt if they lose many stones, if any! They wouldn't stay in business. Insure it, of course, or drop it off. The submission guidelines are available on their website. You can pay extra (a lot) for rush service for an origin report.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you contact AGL by phone. They're very nice and they will give you instructions on the most secure way to send the ring, and all pricing information, timelines, etc. . .

http://aglgemlab.com/contact/

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, the 750 mark means that it is 18-karat gold, or 75 percent of 24-karat, "pure," gold. This is a typical kind of gold for a ruby setting, as it sets off the color nicely. It also means it's not costume jewelry by any means!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You have been given sound about labs; further may I suggest insuring the ring before insetting the stone and sending it anywhere.

Let us know how it turns out.

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also like to add that when they do receive the stone for analysis, if it turns out to be highly treated, such as lead glass filled, I don't suggest the expensive origin report. An inexpensive AGL gem brief will suffice. You can discuss this with them when they report their initial findings to you via phone (they will call you if you provide a phone number). Ask them to do that before you make a final decision on which report you want.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I will make sure I definitely get it insured before I send it! I need to get it resized too. I haven't worn it for a few years because it's a size 4.5(my mom has tiny fingers) and I wear a 5 or 5.5. So it has been sitting in a box and I take it out occasionally to look at it but never really thought about getting it tested till now. I was thinking maybe I could get a new setting made for it too. If it turns out to be a real ruby I think it should have a fancier setting or maybe I should keep it like it is. 18k gold is already nice enough...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383430501|3549239 said:
I will make sure I definitely get it insured before I send it! I need to get it resized too. I haven't worn it for a few years because it's a size 4.5(my mom has tiny fingers) and I wear a 5 or 5.5. So it has been sitting in a box and I take it out occasionally to look at it but never really thought about getting it tested till now. I was thinking maybe I could get a new setting made for it too. If it turns out to be a real ruby I think it should have a fancier setting or maybe I should keep it like it is. 18k gold is already nice enough...

It's a nice classic setting. The Duchess of York has a Burmese ruby in a diamond halo as well.

sarahsrings.jpg

And so did Elizabeth Taylor

elizabeth-taylor-collection-van-cleef-ruby-ring-2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1383429520|3549221 said:
I would also like to add that when they do receive the stone for analysis, if it turns out to be highly treated, such as lead glass filled, I don't suggest the expensive origin report. An inexpensive AGL gem brief will suffice. You can discuss this with them when they report their initial findings to you via phone (they will call you if you provide a phone number). Ask them to do that before you make a final decision on which report you want.

Really good advice.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love Elizabeth Taylor's ring! I just looked it up and read it sold for over four million dollars. To be able to have that kind of money to spend on jewelry would be awesome. That sounds kinda materialistic but I think I am becoming addicted to wanting to learn more about colored stones and have my own little collection.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383477866|3549454 said:
Ooh, I love Elizabeth Taylor's ring! I just looked it up and read it sold for over four million dollars. To be able to have that kind of money to spend on jewelry would be awesome. That sounds kinda materialistic but I think I am becoming addicted to wanting to learn more about colored stones and have my own little collection.

Then muah hah hah haaaa, we have done our job! One more addict added to our little family. :Up_to_something:

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks minous :lol: It's just really hard because when I save the money to buy something I want, I always feel guilty. My husband will say I have enough jewelry but I always seem to want more. I have been working all summer selling fruit at the farmer's market (my husband is a farmer)and he said I could keep everything I made but then it became I could keep half of what I made, which is fine, I made quite a bit but now I feel selfish wanting to spend it on myself. Why does there have to be so many pretty things? :nono:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383585090|3550178 said:
Thanks minous :lol: It's just really hard because when I save the money to buy something I want, I always feel guilty. My husband will say I have enough jewelry but I always seem to want more. I have been working all summer selling fruit at the farmer's market (my husband is a farmer)and he said I could keep everything I made but then it became I could keep half of what I made, which is fine, I made quite a bit but now I feel selfish wanting to spend it on myself. Why does there have to be so many pretty things? :nono:

All joking aside, this is hard. Split loyalties. What you're obligated to do versus what you want to do. We all have our own version of the guilt limit. For some reason, mine is setting stones. No problem buying them (within reason of course), but setting them somehow seems like such an indulgence. Lucky for me I've fallen in with a creative crowd that believes that gems are to be worn and enjoyed, so I'm slowly thawing out. But it is really hard and everyone does it differently. In fact, if you go to Hangout, you will find whole threads devoted to this kind of dilemma. And I don't know if you have kids, but it gets even harder to carve out a little something for yourself guilt-free once there are even more needs competing for resources...

So hurry up and do it!!! :bigsmile: ;))

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have 2 little girls. 3 and 4 years old, their names are Olivia and Savannah, that's how I came up with Livnannie :loopy: I always think someday I can pass down everything I have to them, even if I don't ever have anything that is really valuable. It's just fun to collect. I think it started with my mom's ruby, after I got it, I wanted an emerald, after the emerald, I wanted a sapphire and I guess it just keeps going on :rodent: I have never got anything made though. Someday... I think as moms, you do have to spoil yourself once in a while. Sometimes you can forget about yourself and feel resentful about it later. I am not one who loves to shop for shoes or clothes, I guess I would rather spend extra money I have on something I can stare at :shock:

Mandalay

Rough_Rock
Hi after 9 years i'm back here.
Man.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just my opinion but it does look Burmese, does not look Thai. Of course it could be most anything coming from Bangkok since every kind of gem is there. Leaded glass was there back then but it usually was not that pretty in those days but could be, could even be a synthetic, the pictures are only a small clue. Best regards, Lee

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little|1384620913|3557603 said:
Just my opinion but it does look Burmese, does not look Thai. Of course it could be most anything coming from Bangkok since every kind of gem is there. Leaded glass was there back then but it usually was not that pretty in those days but could be, could even be a synthetic, the pictures are only a small clue. Best regards, Lee

Ooh, that is indeed a good sign! Livnannie, please let us know what you find out from AGL. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the coloring looks Burmese. Thai usually looks more purple/blue.

AGL is great to work with. I have traveled to NYC to drop of stones at AGL and GIA, and I have them send them back to me. They are located in the same building on 5th Ave., near lots of great shopping. I don't have stomach to send stones there, but that is just me.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I would think USPS registered mail, albeit slow, should work for mailing it in. I don't think anything ever gets lost via registered mail.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice everyone and your opinion Lee. I still haven't gotten it tested. I have been busy I guess and just put it back in my jewelry box and sort of forgot that I want to get it tested. But just now, I tried to put it on and it actually went down my fat finger, hopefully I can get it off :o I really like taking pictures of it because it photographs well. I have a sapphire ring that never looks pretty in pictures but this ruby kind of looks like it's on fire. So do you think a gemologist would be able to tell how or if it has been treated? Or is AGL the only place that could do it?

1384642598643.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's the thing: in some ways, it doesn't really matter who can tell you, its a matter of who is believed and whose evaluation matters. AGL and a few other labs are the go-tos in the industry. If you want to know, and to have a report that will be taken seriously by others (appraisers, for example), then AGL is the way to go. If you have no thought of ever selling or wanting to replace it in the event that it gets lost or stolen, and you are doing it largely because you are curious, then a gemologist can likely tell you whether its been heated; anything more than that though, you'll need a reputable lab like AGL. It takes certain highly specialized and expensive equipment to test for diffusion/beryllium treatment, and only certain labs have the equipment. Also, with respect to origin, I would highly recommend if you think its from Burma and you want to know, then AGL is the best lab - a gemologist might be able to have a good idea, but their opinion will likely not be given any significance...

HTH.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That makes sense. I guess I am nervous of sending it somewhere, but I think it would be good to do it. If it turned out to be a real Burmese ruby with basic heat treatment only or none at all, what do you think it would be worth? It is only a half carat. It would be significantly lower than a 1 carat ruby right? Have prices for Burma rubies gone up since my Dad purchased it ten years ago?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is normal to feel apprehension at mailing the ring off anywhere, which is why I either use registered insured mail or have the vendor allow me the use of their Fedex account and insurance. A 0.5 ct untreated Mogok ruby of top colour could be anywhere from $1000 to $3000.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results