shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Aquamarine

naomidogg

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have an emerald cut aquamarine that seemed much, much bluer when I bought it. I know aquamarines are pale blue in color or often almost white. If this stone was irradiated, is it paler because it's losing its color? Do they lose color or is the irradiation permanent?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there are aquamarine that have been irradiated to look a darker blue. This treatment is not stable nor permanent, so expect aquamarine treated as such to fade over time.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you absolutely sure it's an Aquamarine? I've seen Topaz sold as Aquamarine before.

Dark blue aquas are quite sought after (more so than the paler ones) so if you do have one, you're a lucky person!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That was my first thought too LD, Topaz is more likely.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Blue topaz is treated, but unlikely to fade - if your stone is paler now than when you purchased it, and you haven't been cooking it deliberately, it's probably not topaz.

It's certainly possible to get darker blue untreated aquamarine, it's just rarer and more expensive, but yes, the irradiated material fades. It's quite commonly heated, but as far as I know that's not to deepen the colour, only to remove green hues, and it's permanent. Sorry to hear yours is fading!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not heard of blue topaz fading, so it is unlikely to be irradiated blue topaz.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Was it sold to you as untreated? I would consider contacting the original vendor. They should stand by their stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results