shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to find someone to cut a stone

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a pretty sizable aquamarine rough that I would like to have cut into, most likely, a round brilliant stone to be used in a ring for my wife. I don't recall the exact size of the rough, but it is fairly large and gem quality.

At the moment, I need some recommendations on someone to cut the stone. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I know Jerry Newman does recuts of other people's stones and rough

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

He's very quick,too. I sent him a stone about 10 days ago and it's on it's way back to me now. I'll start a thread when I get it, but so far his pics look fantastic. He will discuss the options with you via email, and he tends to get very good yield. You might want to figure out what size you actually want before you send it, though. You might end up with something huge.

Or not. Some stones that look great to us, look like poo to a faceter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1384206878|3554509 said:
Some stones that look great to us, look like poo to a faceter.

Ditto this. I am sure any lapidary worth his lap machine will want to look at pictures of the rough to get a fair idea whether it is facetable first, then follow up with handling the rough in person. Also, just so that you won't be overly shocked, the final yield is generally in the 20% to 30% range so be prepared to have the end result look significantly smaller than the rough material.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well, Aqua is a pretty safe bet to look good, usually very clean. Likely to get a good % back, depends more on the shape of the rough and the shape of the faceted gem. The cutter will advise you. I let my cutter make most of my decisions for me because I don't like to kid myself. Best regards, Lee

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
:lol: beautifully put iLander :lol:

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
iLander|1384206878|3554509 said:

Isnt that the truth! You should see some of the rough that comes through the doors from clients. Some can be cabochoned but for the most part I only cut about 40% of what is sent to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results