shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay...Don''t laugh...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Costco today and saw their brochure to order IGI and GIA diamonds. I was wondering if anyone considered this? It appears on their website:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=4518

That you can order the diamond to your liking, have the certificate sent/faxed to you. When it shows up at Costco, you have the right to inspect it. If you don''t like it, you''re not obligated to buy. Furthermore, you can refund it for any reason as long as it''s not damaged or altered (it''s a mounted stone). I thought this is a good way to get the appraisal and if it doesn''t work out, you can return it to the nearest Costco...

Has anyone tried this? Results? Would someone here consider this???
Just a thought...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With a GIA paper maybe. With IGI, no way. Their reputation for accuracy is sadly lacking.

Wink

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Costco

I have that brochure too, and I would tend to shy away from sellers who really aren''t diamond people.

The brouchure I have doesn''t mention much about the cut of the stone, and "glosses" over the clarity and color.

If you are really all that curious, my advice would be to hire a gemologist to go to the store with you, to make the examination. Ask the personel in the store if this is acceptable. If it isn''t then I''d advise you find a more knowledgeable seller.

In the folder I see they guarantee an appraisal of 175% of the purchase price! This depends on the market analyzed by the appraiser. This only applies to diamonds larger than 1.5 carats and larger. What about the others?

I also see in the brouchure

"How can we be so sure of our quality?"

" We have established our own quality-control centerwhere each piece of jewelry is closely examined by highly qualfiied people who have many years of experience in all areas of the jewelry industry. This allows us to maintain our high quality standards."

You should ask them for the credentials of the person who will review the stone you pick. You should also find out how they examine the stone and for what. In addition, since they say they have a set of high standards, it would be informative to know exactly what those standards are.

In another mass merchandisers situation, that also claimed high standards and credentials that worked for the company, it was discovered that their buyer had NO EXPERIENCE in the diamond industry, and previous was a buyer for a department store for other areas of products.

I would suggest that you don''t lay out any money, and if you feel that they really may have an advantage for you over and regular store or internet seller, that you not take possession of the stone and let the expert go with you ( the money you pay him for this is well worth it) to have an expert who works for you rather than the seller.

Rockdoc

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 8:41:54 PM
Author: RockDoc

I have that brochure too, and I would tend to shy away from sellers who really aren''t diamond people.

Rockdoc

Interesting food for thought...I thought there might be such issues, but what I thought was interesting is that you could purchase the diamond, take it to a qualified appraiser and if the diamond wasn''t to your liking, you could return it and get your full refund...that''s a rarity as far as I''ve seen...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 8:50:53 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 3/11/2005 8:41:54 PM
Author: RockDoc

Rockdoc

Interesting food for thought...I thought there might be such issues, but what I thought was interesting is that you could purchase the diamond, take it to a qualified appraiser and if the diamond wasn''t to your liking, you could return it and get your full refund...that''s a rarity as far as I''ve seen...

Well, I wouldn''t advise you taking possession of the stone. You will probably have to pay for it to do that.

What if they claim that you damaged it. Also they may not have anyone in the store qualified to examine it, so you won''t get your refund til they have made sure it isn''t damaged or switched. This is why I say pay the expert to go with you.

In the alternative, there are plenty of seller who particpate on the site who will send diamonds to your choice of appraiser/gemologist/independent gem lab without you having to pay for the stone, til their analysis is done and it is the quality you want.

I think it is safer to do this, as you won''t have your money at risk. Promises and agreements are great but, too many times excuses are made, when you actually want to return the item and get a refund. Why risk it?

Consider this... what is the seller providing you with? You''re hiring him to buy you the diamond you want, at a good or reasonable, competitive price. The more experienced, educated and equipped he is, the better he can "buy" the diamond for you. So study folks selling carefully, decide if you want an independent to verify and report more or advanced information about it, and make your purchasing decisions, from informed position, rather than one that is primarilly price motivated.

Buy the stone- not the price..

Rockdoc

Rockdoc

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdoc....

Thanks for the feedback!!! It gives me a lot to consider....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results