shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever traveled to buy a gem or jewelry?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this Gem Hunt talk has me curious! I am an online only buyer, but if I were traveling to a safe country (and had a decent budget), traveling to pick a gem or a piece of jewelry would be a dream come true!

Ever done it? What were you looking for, and how long did it take you to find?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not done so but if I did, I would bring an expert along with me who has lined everything up ahead of time, the same way SilkSapphire did with Richard Hughes. I've made smaller and safe purchases during vacations in Asia but not with gem or jewellery buying as the primary intent.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
People do it all the time. Chanthaburi market (Thailand) always has some foreigners mixed in, many are newbies. Good advice has been given, use a guide/expert, at least the first time. I see many that I want to warn because I know what the locals are saying about their spending choices but I keep silent, unless I am the guide, of course. Buying gems can be a very exciting adventure and it is wise to have a veteran that is over the hype to cool your heels once in awhile. Money can flow quickly when we are talking about baht per carat. A guide must speak the native language, know the customs of the people, understand the secrets of the market and it is useful when they also are liked in the market. If you go it alone, do not spend much, mostly just listen and observe. Above all, have fun. Best regards, Lee

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I have been to Dubai to buy some gold necklaces and bracelet over 15 years ago in the gold souk-before gold prices went crazy. I have purchased an opal in Sydney Australia. I have gone to the Jade market in Mynmar and searched for rubies there and in Cambodia. I have bought strands of freshwater pearls in the pearl markets in Shanghai. Other purchases includebeads made from lapis in India, malachite and tiger eye in Kenya,and silver pieces all over the mideast and asia. I am not a professional but like you all love jewelry and gems and seek out cool pieces. My rule is, however, not to spend big bucks. I would be heartbroken to be swindled and it would ruin my vaction and memories thereof. For example, Hong Kong and Bangkok have incredible stores and gems-window shopping is such fun. But I worry that I will get ripped off as fakes and enhancements are so good now that only a professional can tell. If you go to a reputable dealer or get outside help I feel that the price reflects this and you may get the same or better deal at home with more recourse. Also, when I went to the Jade market I found that anything truly valuable has already been exported out and what was left was not top quality or had problems with shape, size, thickness or color. A lot of fakes there too. I had great luck buying pearls in China-the prices were so low you could not go wrong if you know a little about pearls. I really researched unset opals at home before going to OZ. I knew how much the range was at home and really did a lot of leg work when I got to Sydney. I bought a large opal which I had set at home as I had a favorite jeweler. Another concern is exchange rates. They can be used to your advantage or disadvantage. Don't forget duty. I think a memento such as a charm, necklace or ring is wonderful and a lifelong treasure.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I travelled from UK to Amsterdam to select my EC from a diamond merchant, met with the gent who was going to make my ring and other jewellery pieces, before returning to pick up the finished jewellery a few weeks later.

I thoroughly enjoyed the buying process.

DK :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add to my above post, bought two pretty emeralds in Bogota, Columbia at the Emerld Center. Lots of shops in this mall and I found it good for both high end and low end emeralds. Skip the peddlers on the steps outside.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Not for the purpose of buying jewelry, but I have purchased jewelry while traveling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results