shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for Experienced Recutters

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a few years ago, I bought a demantoid on ebay (and way overpaid, but that's another story). Although it was a vendor I frequently purchased from, I did not send it back partly because I was a bit intimidated by them (note to self: don't buy from vendors that for whatever reasons you feel you must coddle, as eventually it culminated in a bizarre interaction for which they profusely apologized, but the damage was done) and partly because in certain lighting it looks good. But basically not.

I call it the bug. It sits looking dully olive in my tray, reminding me of what a mistake looks like. It has the great dispersion a demantoid is known for, including the multiple color (red) flash. My question: if I want to sell it, should I have it cut first? Could cutting make any difference? I know it won't change the olive hue which would probably be okay because of the dispersion, but right now it has a window and the combination of meh color and bad cut gets my teeth on edge. So here are the stats: 1.23cts, eye clean, 7.2x5.3x3.7mm. From your experience, would a tweak be able to help out at all? Or is it not worth it financially to recut and just sell at a big loss, maintaining the weight? There are one or two members here who have substantial experience with recuts and I surely hope they post. :)) TIA!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't recut it. I think you'd go waaaaaay down in size because of the lack of depth in the stone. Does it have a window? I'd probably resell as is.

I haven't any recut experience, but a long time ago I had cutters tell me that unless a stone was pretty deep, they wouldn't be able to recut it to keep enough size. As in, at least 6mm. So I stopped looking for stones to recut.

ETA: I'd bet to get it to have some decent depth, you'd be looking at 3-4mm stone. But again, I know little about these things.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1384032863|3553516 said:
No, I wouldn't recut it. I think you'd go waaaaaay down in size because of the lack of depth in the stone. Does it have a window? I'd probably resell as is.

I haven't any recut experience, but a long time ago I had cutters tell me that unless a stone was pretty deep, they wouldn't be able to recut it to keep enough size. As in, at least 6mm. So I stopped looking for stones to recut.

ETA: I'd bet to get it to have some decent depth, you'd be looking at 3-4mm stone. But again, I know little about these things.

I suspect you are right, which is why I was hoping we'd hear back from some of our more experienced recutting members. :(sad

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the stats alone, you will loose too much weight and will end up with a sub carat stone which in turn will be much less in terms of value. If the tone is unlikely to change then why bother? Although you don't like it, we know that people like different things and I'd be tempted to list it as is rather than try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (if you know what I mean).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1384036136|3553535 said:
Based on the stats alone, you will loose too much weight and will end up with a sub carat stone which in turn will be much less in terms of value. If the tone is unlikely to change then why bother? Although you don't like it, we know that people like different things and I'd be tempted to list it as is rather than try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (if you know what I mean).

Thanks, LD. Yeah, but maybe I would prefer a small silk purse, lol? I don't know - I can't imagine I would get much for it in its current condition. Its not that its a bad specimen, its just not as nice as the medium saturated bluish green ones that you can very infrequently find... But if I do sell it, what's a good price now that I've completely trash talked it on here, lol? A clean, olive but more green in sunlight, 1.2 ct oval demantoid with good dispersion? $75? $100? I bought it for so ridiculously much!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1384036136|3553535 said:

And you'll also not recoup the money you spent on recutting it.

I would put it up for sale as is.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sell it as is. It's very rare that recutting will pay you back on something this small. I'm recutting a Burmese sapphire now, but the owner wants to keep it and wants the better cut for herself.

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lelser|1384039967|3553575 said:
Sell it as is. It's very rare that recutting will pay you back on something this small. I'm recutting a Burmese sapphire now, but the owner wants to keep it and wants the better cut for herself.

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

Sigh. I thought it might be a little harder for you all to decide, but clearly I'm just avoiding the obvious. :(sad So I have to gear myself up for a sale. Sigh...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and thank you!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am not sure how the above advise was figured but I would vote to re-cut. The depth seems adequate, I suspect it is now bulged and a sharp cut will still yield over a carat with little sacrifice to the table size. Perhaps a cutter can correct or confirm. Best regards, Lee

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little|1384534168|3557072 said:
I am not sure how the above advise was figured but I would vote to re-cut. The depth seems adequate, I suspect it is now bulged and a sharp cut will still yield over a carat with little sacrifice to the table size. Perhaps a cutter can correct or confirm. Best regards, Lee

Thanks, Lee. I sort of feel like I have nothing to lose...

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's what I see......nothing to lose but possibly something to gain. At the least.......send it to someone for evaluation before deciding not to recut. Then decide with cost estimate and recommendation of the cutter in hand.......sounds like an adventure to me! Good Luck whatever decision you make............

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results