shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I call CPS and try for an Amber Alert?

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! ;( I can't believe they let them go!
I agree with TooPatient, is there any news about the dumped dog that you could get them charged with? How long before you can report them missing again? Do you feel up to going to the media? How stressful for you!
I hope they manage to do something that doesn't hurt the kids but makes it obvious they need help.
We are all thinking of you, and your missing six.

minousbijoux said:
NM: I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. So as not to offend anyone, I will say that I'm sending you thoughts, dust and positive outcome prayers to any higher power that may or may not exist...
People offering prayers doesn't offend me. I understand that is how religious people express care for others, and that they are wishing someone well. :))
My comment was about people taking offense to others not showing deference to their religious beliefs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is unreal. What I cannot understand is how both of them lose their mind at the same time???? I do understand bi-polar, but for both to be manic at the same time and both buy into this new religious thing is scary. I can't even imagine this road trip with 4 children under 4.

(And the purpose of my prayers is that those children will be protected and that the parents will get some help.)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM: I haven't posted on this thread because I didn't have any suggestions to offer. And I still don't - but I'm glad you decided to follow your gut take some action despite all the difficulties. I hope the result will be the kids ending up in a safe haven.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you contacted a lawyer. You are right that it makes things more complicated when you are located in a different state but hopefully not impossible. Some counties are really reluctant to chapter people. It is a shame they were found in one of those. Is it possible they are on drugs? That can cause manic like symptoms.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1384408469|3556217 said:
This is unreal. What I cannot understand is how both of them lose their mind at the same time???? I do understand bi-polar, but for both to be manic at the same time and both buy into this new religious thing is scary. I can't even imagine this road trip with 4 children under 4.

(And the purpose of my prayers is that those children will be protected and that the parents will get some help.)

It sounds like drug use. This thread has really been haunting me, I'm praying for all of them.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Emproctor2986|1384438819|3556330 said:
diamondseeker2006|1384408469|3556217 said:

It sounds like drug use. This thread has really been haunting me, I'm praying for all of them.

This or they have somehow been influenced by an extremist of some kind or someone has convinced them of some apocalyptic event that has really screwed with their mind. It is terrifying, but very possible. This thread has haunted me as well and I am really praying that there is some sort of positive outcome for these children. It is chilling to me that the family has no idea who is now in the car with them.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, do you think the Comet ISON stories could have set them off? It's supposed to round the sun on Nov 28 and there is some YouTube stuff claiming that NASA is lying and that the debris trail of the comet will hit Earth and millions of people on Earth will die as a result. And at least one sky-is-falling YouTube dredging up Revelations, and how the trumpet will sound and there will be fireballs and earthquakes, and then it goes per Revelations after that, but is tripped by Comet ISON.

Could that be what set them off so suddenly? If so, you might be able to talk them down a little from their apparent hysteria.

I wasn't paying any attention to any of this until this evening when my father wanted to know what that big bright light is in the sky. Was probably Venus, but I stumbled onto all the comet ISON hysteria while looking up what planets are in the sky now.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Is there any possibility that they're on crack? Sounds like the crazy intensity of crack cocaine.

Can you Baker Act them? In my state, you can declare that someone is a danger to themselves or others, and have them put in a mental hospital for 48 hours. There are papers that you sign, but I think it's relatively simple. In this case the others are the children or the public at large. Also explain there is the possibility that they are under the influence of drugs.

This may be the break they need to get them down off the drugs and off the road for a while. Allow you and your family a chance to catch up and go get the kids, at least.

I think it's a lot easier to Baker Act someone than it is to prove child endangerment.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
NM, you're in my prayers..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in, NM. I am continuing to pray.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts and prayers too!!
I feel very concerned! I can't imagine travelling with four children under four in an ongoing manner like this!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am gobsmacked that the police were unable to think of a legal way of detaining them due to erratic behaviour and the information they must have received with the missing persons report. I'll definitely be adding all my best wishes to the pile you've already received.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1384480770|3556754 said:
Is there any possibility that they're on crack? Sounds like the crazy intensity of crack cocaine.

Can you Baker Act them? In my state, you can declare that someone is a danger to themselves or others, and have them put in a mental hospital for 48 hours. There are papers that you sign, but I think it's relatively simple. In this case the others are the children or the public at large. Also explain there is the possibility that they are under the influence of drugs.

This may be the break they need to get them down off the drugs and off the road for a while. Allow you and your family a chance to catch up and go get the kids, at least.

I think it's a lot easier to Baker Act someone than it is to prove child endangerment.

Unfortunately as someone that has a sibling that we've tried to Baker Act on at least a dozen occasions, it has still never worked. Why? Because there's not an available bed in the facility to hold him for 72 hours (that's how long the hold is, at least in Florida).

For those people that have never dealt with law enforcement and trying to save a family member that's behaving erratically, first I say thank heavens because I don't wish it on anyone, but second I'd say you'd be astonished at just how little law enforcement can or will do. It can be absolutely infuriating.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1384131184|3554033 said:
iLander|1384130494|3554028 said:
kenny|1384130349|3554026 said:
iLander|1384129982|3554023 said:
kenny|1384060914|3553685 said:
I'd certainly call CPS, but I would not hold my breath that anyone can do anything.
You mentioned they said, "God will provide".
Since religions are protected to teach whatever they want, even that a virgin had a baby, :roll: that aspect of this disaster is going nowhere fast.
And parents get to do nearly whatever they want with and to their own kids.

Where CPS draws the line, I don't know but I'd definitely report what you know.
Those poor poor kids. :nono:

I'm sincerely so very sorry this is happening in your family.
Much worse happened in mine, so I understand the irony and tragedy of how society and the law protect the "sacred" institutions of religion and family, and the unspeakable horrors that result from that so-called 'protection'.

Yes, but Kenny, religious people vary too . . . :saint:

Yes, totally, absolutely, which I acknowledged when I wrote in a post above, "I'm infinitely more respectful of religious people than I was 10 years ago precisely because I've met so many wonderful religious people via the Internet."

I did see that, so wondering why you're still poking fun at the Virgin birth thing . . . ? Were all the religious people you met Buddhists? :D

Poking fun?
Huh? :confused:

A virgin giving birth is not reasonable.
Reason is adequate for me, but clearly not for everyone … which is fine, but being insulted by reason while being allowed to post forum-policy breaking-religious-posts on PS like, "I'll pray for you." is, Uhm, up side down IMO.

Kenny, I respect your right to your beliefs on life and do not think I have ever posted disagreeing with you on them. If I have please accept my apology. That said, if you believe people vary why not just let this ps taboo topic go. Most regular readers know how you feel. Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's why getting the county crisis center involved is helpful. They are mental health professionals (not police) and have relationships with the local hospitals. They know what they are looking for and can best assess the situation. The issue I see is that they aren't staying in one place and counties aren't goos at playing well with other counties (at least in my experience). By law they have to be a danger to themselves or others in order to have an involuntary hold. Maybe they are able to "keep it together" when they were questioned. After all, none of us are there and know the full situation. The other issue I see is if they do go to the hospital, they probably will put the kids in foster care unless family can come ASAP to care for them.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie|1384125559|3553988 said:
Well, they never showed at my house and they keep sending me to vm. I've checked on getting some sort of alert sent out to the highway patrol but was told no. There isn't enough proof that the kids are in eminent danger. We think that they are in a hotel somewhere in the bay area. I hope that if they are getting sleep, the manic behavior may lessen.
I know there has been talk of the religious aspect. They were never religious before so this is all a surprise. I'm just going to wait it out and hope that they contact me again.

Just curious if their vehicle is large enough to fit four car seats. If the children are not properly fitted in car seats, wouldn't that be grounds for child endangerment? (eta - maybe this was brought up...I posted after only reading the first page of responses)

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I was on the phone most of the day yesterday. I spoke to 2 of the West De Moines officers. They both said the other was the lead officer so therefor responsible for making the call for more of an investigation. They did not get the ID of the man in the car that said he was my DIL's father. We still do not know who he is or where he was picked up. They were parked in a sketchy neighborhood with bars and clubs. He may have been a drug dealer. They are avid pot smokers. They did not get any other info about the car except that it is an early 2000's Tahoe and maybe a tan color. They must have purchased car seats because the officer "thinks" the 4 kids were in them.
CPS in AZ was called and we were told that the case is closed so they have no interest. This seems strange because the AZ report says mother is unfit but the father is in home so the kids could stay. Now both parents are unfit and they don't care. CPS in San Diego was called and they said to call CPS in the area we think they may be.
I am still working at trying to find them. They were heading to the Chicago area. If any Chicago PSers sees a 6ft, 195lb, black man with grey facial hair and a bald head with an under 5' Pacific Islander woman standing on a street corner babbling about the bible or God please let me know. I say babbling because they knows nothing about the bible. They may also be talking about emotional pain and selfishness. That is the most ironic because they have been selfish and been causing pain to everyone that loves them. :((

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, gosh. :errrr: So it likely is drugs, then. Those poor children. As long as they keep moving, apparently no state is going to care. :((

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Gosh, I am praying too, like DS; this is terrible. I can't believe none of those officers care, this is such a nightmare.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Well it is 1:30am and it has been 7hrs waiting for DCFS in Chicago to call me. If anyone is in Chicago, in the Loop Th at 1pm, a car stopped in the intersection and 3 adults and 4 children were dancing on top of it. Guess what, that was my family. The homeless man they picked up along the way, DIL & step-son were arrested. The kids were sent to DCFS. I was on the phone with a friend of his when he called the friend. He said that DIL was transferred to NWM Hospital and he had just been released from jail. I called the PD and he was still there. The Ofc I spoke to was there Th and was the one that had to call DCFS. I told her not to let on that I was on the phone.
I called the hospital and talked to the DR that evaluated her. She is in a full euphoric manic state and is bipolor . He is holding her for 5 business days. While I was talking to him my SS showed up. He did not act up so last I heard he was hanging out in her room. She is in the ER. Because of no insurance, she will be transferred to the state hospital.
He did tell his friend that he would need my phone number because I might need to pick up the kids. The car was towed, all the money, thousands of dollars, is in the car. It is probably gone. They have a court date on Mon. I was hoping he would be held too.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie - I am so sorry to read all of this, but glad to hear the children are safe. I am also glad to hear your DIL is now hospitalized. I hope things stabilize soon.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM - bless you for acting and persevering in spite of the odds against you. I'm glad that you now know where the children are and that they're in what we hope is a safe place, though probably less than ideal. *Dust* to you and your family as you figure out the next steps.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie|1384596690|3557516 said:
Well it is 1:30am and it has been 7hrs waiting for DCFS in Chicago to call me. If anyone is in Chicago, in the Loop Th at 1pm, a car stopped in the intersection and 3 adults and 4 children were dancing on top of it. Guess what, that was my family. The homeless man they picked up along the way, DIL & step-son were arrested.

NonieMarie - I saw that on the news and just thought it was some people pulling a prank, so I didn't even give it a second thought. What a relief that they were found and arrested. I hope you can get the kids soon.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1384618544|3557584 said:
NM - bless you for acting and persevering in spite of the odds against you. I'm glad that you now know where the children are and that they're in what we hope is a safe place, though probably less than ideal. *Dust* to you and your family as you figure out the next steps.

Goodness. A quick Google search found the video (I won't post the link). Those poor kiddos :( They look so lost.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nonie, you are a real angel for these children.
not many would have persevered as you did.
:appl:

diamond, they can feed into one another's manic and/or depression episodes. upping the situation, or progressively spiraling down. not a great combo for a couple, imo.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh, NM, I am glad the kids are safe now and that they have you. take care and keep us posted.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad the kids are safe and their mum is getting care. I hope you are feeling a bit better now they have been found. Keep us posted, we are all thinking of you!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1384638187|3557711 said:
Nonie, you are a real angel for these children.
not many would have persevered as you did.
:appl:

diamond, they can feed into one another's manic and/or depression episodes. upping the situation, or progressively spiraling down. not a great combo for a couple, imo.

Also convince each other to go off their own medications.

Glad they were found.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Aside from possibly squandering or losing all of that money, that is probably one of the better outcomes that could have happened. They behaved bizarrely, but the kids seem to be unhurt. And the behavior finally got weird enough that law enforcement and CPS can't ignore it anymore. Wishing you and your family all the best, NonieMarie. It is really a shame that it had to go that far. But that's the way the system is.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad they've been found and the kids seem unharmed. I hope their parents can get the help they both need.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results