shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for nut-free, vegetarian kid lunches and snacks?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I need to send lunch and snacks for my kids who are 3 and 5. The 3 year old has nut allergies and eats two snacks and lunch, plus possibly breakfast, at school. The 5 year old doesn't have allergies and her school allows nuts, but we keep a nut-free home anyway. She needs a lunch plus a snack which must be non-perishable at this point due to logistics.

So far, I've made them cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, tofurky roll-ups with cheddar chunks, cucumber slices, plain chickpeas, grape tomatoes, lots of fresh fruit, apple slices with sunbutter dip, crackers, mini-muffins, pretzels, veggie straws, etc.

Does anyone have other suggestions? Also, DD's snack at this point needs to be non-perishable b/c they all take out their snack and put into into a bin for later on. I suppose I could send something like yogurt, but I would need to send in a second lunchbag and her first one, which is a large PlanetBox (very cool, though pricey!), already takes up all the room in her bag, esp. when I send in a water thermos.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Suggestions for nut-free, vegetarian kid lunches and sna

Hummus is yummy. You can make it using different beans for a bit of variety (chickpeas are the usual but I've also had good luck with lentils). Can blend in stuff like olives or dried tomatoes for different flavors/colors too. Send along with pita or fresh veggies.

For lunch, you can use hummus in something like a pita wrap. I usually do with shredded cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers and whatever veggie we have around.

Not refrigerated is tough if you are looking to get protein into the snack also. I was thinking stuff like cheese slices or cream cheese but those need to stay cold.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was going to say hummus too!

Grilled cheese?

French toast (err, I started doing this for breakfasts when my daughter wasn't into eggs so much, figuring there's at least one egg in a slice.)

Did you say cheese and crackers? S likes havarti.

Hard boiled eggs

Cottage cheese

Pancakes with cottage cheese added to the batter (I haven't done that in a long time, but it's a more protein-y pancake)

Fritatta

Soup in a thermos

Quesadilla!!

ETA: Would sunbutter granola bars work?

I assumed lunches would have an icepak, right?

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock

Hi there, we've been making sunbutter sandwiches with a drizzle of honey. I also had seen the idea of adding banana slices OR slicing a firm banana in half and using it instead of bread, with sunbutter on the inside. (My dd is barely 2yo so I haven't done that one yet.)

Are you familiar with Quorn? We love their products, it is a mycoprotein that is fungus based. Seriously tastes "just like chicken" but better if you ask me (the household vegetarian). They make "nugget" versions.

Sliced marinated cold tofu makes for easy finger food. Could be doctored with some soy sauce. Avocado.

My DD is big on all things frozen. She gets silicone cupcake wrappers full of peas, edamame, corn or chopped string beans daily.

Quesadilla with mashed black beans (inside to keep hands neat).

Cold pasta, mac and cheese, noodles with pesto (I hide kale and spinach in my pesto to get more greens in.)

Sweet potato fries.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Here are some of my ideas:
hummus for sure!
Applesauce
banana and marshmallow spread sandwich or banana and jelly
home made granola bars using oats, dried fruit, honey
corn chips and salsa
homemade muffins (there are tons of recipes for them on pinterest)
egg muffins! You take egg, add in bits of bacon or peppers and cheese, bake them!
Pizza bites, they're like mini muffins with pepperoni and you put sauce on top
homemade soup!
yogurt covered raisins
pretzels
home flavored popcorn - this could be a fun activity for them, make your own spicy or salty garlic or maple syrup covered. Again hit pinterest
Pigs in a blanket - generally once cooked these would be fine through the lunch hour
Oven roasted veggies and rice
RICE - could add any number of things to it
Campers trail mix - I saw one that uses a cinnamon based cereal (you would have to find one nut free), chocolate, marshmallows and dried cranberries
Chickpeas - You can roast them with seasoning too and it makes them crunchy
Roasted sweet potato chips
Rice Krispie Treats
Beans are always a filling option to add to meals or snacks

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dragonfly, neither bacon nor pigs in blankets are vegetarian. ;)) You could use soy bacon in the egg muffins, and you COULD use soy dogs in the crescent rolls for pigs in blankets, but hot dogs are one of the easiest thing for children to choke on, so maybe not a good idea for school snacks/lunches. Great suggestions, otherwise.

Our 16 month old does not go to daycare or school yet, but our kitchen is vegetarian. She loves black beans and chickpeas, so we give her those in different ways. Black bean quesadillas, black bean "burgers," chickpeas/cucumber/kalamata olives diced into a salad and usually wrapped in a tortilla, and of course just plain that she can eat with her fingers.

A really easy snack is to mix cream cheese (8 oz package, softened) with salsa (about 3 tbsp), spread it on tortillas (covers about 8 medium), add black olives or whatever other "dry-ish" topping your kids might like, roll up and cut into 1" sections. You could probably get away with putting kale or spinach in them for some extra green.

Mini falafel patties and hummus, on mini pitas.

Do you guys get into tofu/tempeh/seitan at all? You can do tons of stuff with those. I am lazy and usually just get already prepared stuff from the hot bar at one of the local crunchy grocers, or they have pre-packaged things made up in their cooler. I love barbecued seitan, I use it like barbecued pulled pork and eat it on a bun.

This thread is making me hungry. :bigsmile:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, ladies!

The problem with my kids is that they're extremely picky- like ridiculously picky. For example, sandwiches are universally disliked except for two kinds- cream cheese and cucumber tea sandwiches and cream cheese and jelly. BUT, Dd only likes the tea sandwiches and DS only likes the cream cheese/jelly ones- and the tea sandwiches are comprised of a filling mix I have to make.

Hummus- no. Vegetables in general- no. No one will eat cold items that were originally made to be heated- so if I send waffles with syrup, my daughter won't eat it b/c it's cold (my son's school will heat up). One child likes cheese, the other doesn't. I've tried seeing if she'll make her own "lunchables" with pita slices or english muffins, pizza sauce, and cheese- not a chance, I'm told, b/c it's cold.

So my question is: do you send in healthy food you know your children won't eat in the hopes they'll eat something if that's the only option? Or do you send in stuff you know they'll eat b/c you want them to have a full stomach?

Dragonfly- I LOVE roasted chickpeas!!! I think I'll make some this weekend :lickout: My daughter, oddly enough, loves to eat them just plain and raw. I'll take what I can get!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

Can you send foods in thermos? That could solve the cold food issues.

ETA: We've always gotten lunches through her preschool and school. So she either eat what is served or nothing. Usually if it's something she doesn't like, she will eat more for after-school snacks and dinner. So if she is getting enough foods over the day, then I wouldn't worry about it. But even at home, I don't only make foods they like.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Make little quiches in cupcake tins. Use paper cupcake liners. Cut rounds of dough or use a round cracker for the crust. Add vegies to quiche. Bake then serve at room temperature at home so your kids are used to these not being hot. Perfect size for travel.

I have made little cheesecakes like this. Cheesecake is so much cheese and eggs I could consider it as a main course for a picky eater.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

DS is picky-ish too and wont do sandwiches or eat anything cold thats meant to be warm.

Will they drink smoothies?

You could send it in a thermos to keep it cold. There are tons of recipes out there but DS's favorite is:
Whole fat plain yogurt (1 cup)
Almond milk (I just eyeball it and use enough so it's drinkable through a straw)
Dash of vanilla extract
Stevia or tablespoon of raw honey
Pack of strawberries
Banana
Large bag of baby spinach
(I use all organic)
Just blend it up- tastes so yummy but it is green. I find its the easiest way for me me to get veggies into DS. I also freeze this in Popsicle molds.

Some other ideas:

Homemade banana bread
Homemade zucchini bread

Fresh fruits

GoGo squeeze fruit pouches

Plum Kids fruit "mashups"

Sahale brand nut mixes- DS loves the "Valdosta Pecans" and "pecan cashew nut crisp"

Pro Bar whole food meal bars (more sugar than I'd prefer but lots of protein)

Unsweetened organi coconut flakes

Oskri coconut bars

Cream of wheat/rice in a thermos to keep warm

French toast sticks with a side of syrup (will stay warm in a thermos)

EDIT: I read "peanut" allergy- I see its all nuts. Ignore all the nut suggestions! :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been sending "A" with a thermos of soup to school the last couple of weeks. (REI has a great 16 oz size that stays nice and hot!)
Along with a couple of slices of homemade bread, a disposable bowl & spoon, bottle of water and something dessert/fruit like (apple crisp :lickout: ).

If you make mini matzah balls (or dumplings) they fit in just fine too.

If they'll eat a pasta or casserole sort of thing, you could probably find a way to shove that in a thermos.

Banana bread -- cut the butter & sugar back by using some applesauce. Tastes great and is even healthier!

"pumpkin pie" -- I do these in a ramekin but you could do them in muffin pans with paper. Cut the sugar way back, use almond milk instead of evaporated (condensed?). I toss chopped up pecans on top for the nut eaters but love mine plain!
(same thing with sweet potato pie)

Apple crisp -- Apples with oatmeal! If you cut the sugar back it is pretty healthy and super yummy!
(add in cherries or rhubarb for some variety!)

cheesecakes -- the "right" recipe uses lots of cream cheese, lots of eggs, and only some sugar. (I look for recipes with 5 packages of cream cheese and no less than 7 eggs)

Fresh berries layered with yogurt. Granola to the side to toss in.

To your other question --
I send healthy food. "A" gets enough junk in her diet already through school and her mother that she doesn't need any more. We're trying to teach her to like foods that are good for her rather than reinforcing her bad habits. It would be MUCH easier to send her sugary junk, but it wouldn't be good for her in the long run. I do try to have some sort of "dessert" for her but try to keep that somewhat healthy too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results