carat
color
clarity

Crank Calls Bothering Me a Decade Later

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942 said:
Thanks everyone.

Jewelfreak - Jesus, that sounds seriously frightening! You must have been beside yourself, if the block wasn't very secure.

Polished - if I were going to contact her, reprisals wouldn't worry me. That's letting someone intimidate you. But anyway, it's not relevant since she lives in the UK and I live in America - not sure what she could do to me from that distance. I have strong connections with the UK CID and the UK media, (the relevance of this is that if she ever tried anything illegal with me again, not only would she be prosecuted, her conviction would end up in the UK's most famous newspaper) so a spiteful little bint like her isn't going to worry me. The reason I've decided not to contact her is in order not to give her the satisfaction. I mean, if this was a current situation, I'd prosecute the pants off her, but it isn't.

Arkie - about cameras, you are right but I have no idea how I'd go about that. This is a block of flats and we are high up - I mean, somehow I'd have to rig up an entire electrical system from the front door all the way up to my flat, and I just don't have the skills to do it.

Lara - you're right, she's the one who is stuck with herself and her black heart. It would never in my wildest dream occur to me to do that to someone. She must be such an unhappy person. And you're right about the UK - you and I had the same experiences. It's my experience that people in the US are so much more laid-back and relaxed and happy for you when something goes right. England is famously full of petty jealousy. If you want to make a certain kind of English person spit green fire, just do really, really well. When I achieved the grades for Oxford entrance in my A-Levels, (UK university entrance exams) we went to tea at my aunt and uncle's house that day. They knew about my results, and it was studiously not mentioned, by them or my cousins, except the oldest one who whispered congratulations to me on the side. A-Levels are national government-set exams and everyone in the country gets their results on the same day - it's a big thing, it's all in the papers - they knew it was Results Day. It was really weird, the way it simply wasn't brought up. That evening at home, my dad said to me, "If you do well in life, little green eyes will follow you wherever you go." In my experience, that is particularly true in the UK. There's that old story about a person who has a red sports car. The American looks at it and says, "Wow, I wonder what I can do to get a car like that!" whereas the English person scrapes their keys along it.

Of course, England has many wonderful people too - we are generalising. But I encountered much more nastiness in the UK. It seems more socially acceptable over there. I've noticed that in the US, society strongly approves of a supportive attitude towards others.

Reading this made me think it's more of a European thing, not just British. I speak from experience.
Like you said, ppl from the US (or other places) would say "where can I get one myself?", whereas some Europeans would say "If I can't have nice things, you can't have it, either".

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
When Thatcher got on top of Britain's unions, unionists left Britain and came out here.... (Australia) and they've been raising hell ever since lol

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it seems most you have most likely solved the mystery behind the caller, I would like to echo a PP's experience about weird random calls. 2 years ago we had recently moved into a new place and about a week before Christmas we started getting really strange calls from about 5am to 8:30am. Eventually we traced the calls and found out they were coming from an older lady who thought she was calling her daughter. She never spoke on the phone though, and it was extremely creepy while it lasted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results