shape
carat
color
clarity

Mint tourmaline swaparoo

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
So I had this idea but I'm curious as to your thoughts. I have a nice pair of mint tourms - a 5ct stone in a ring (from Jerry Newman), and a.... ~2ct stone in a necklace with a halo. Both have great, nearly identical color (at least to my still-novice eyes)

The problem is, I just have not really been happy with the ring setting. I went for most classic possible but I feel like it just came out cold, overly minimalistic.... I think the problem is, and I hate to admit it, but the stone is too big for me. It feels like a ring pop.

Conversely, while I LOVE the setting on the necklace, I feel like it's a little small for me. Then I had the crazy idea while driving home today to swap these two pieces - take the necklace setting and use it as the head on a ring, ala the below. And take the large stone and turn it into a pendant.

I'm open to opinions and feedback though. Would you switch the two? Or should I keep the necklace as is, and just try to reset the ring? How would you reset such a large stone if you were going to keep it in a ring?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Edited bc I forgot the second half of the swaparoo plan.

tourm_set.jpg

tourm_ring.jpg

tourm_necklace1.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd swap. Could a jeweler add a band to your necklace setting, as it is? Would you want just a plain shank or one with diamonds?

I'd reset the 5cter into a halo too and make it into a necklace. I always make the big stones necklace stones and keep the smaller ones on my finger. The only case that that isn't true was with a preloved 6mm spinel in a halo necklace and my 6.5mm spinel in a solitaire ring. But that barely counts. :razz:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a fun idea :)

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I think your idea is a very good one.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good idea! The pendant with halo looks super as a ring & the larger one would make a wonderful pendant. Either halo or maybe bezel in rose gold?? Yummmmm.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea. I don't know how easy it is to implement from a work/cost perspective, but you can find out. If you do, please let us know how it goes.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I think swapping might be nice, but possibly very expensive.

how about just switching the ring stone to an east-west setting? I find that makes larger stones look more proportionate on my fingers. and then maybe you could use a twist rope style to the band to add a little something-something that would keep it from looking too cold, but still pretty classic?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1383781985|3551862 said:
I'd swap. Could a jeweler add a band to your necklace setting, as it is? Would you want just a plain shank or one with diamonds?

I'd reset the 5cter into a halo too and make it into a necklace. I always make the big stones necklace stones and keep the smaller ones on my finger. The only case that that isn't true was with a preloved 6mm spinel in a halo necklace and my 6.5mm spinel in a solitaire ring. But that barely counts. :razz:

Thanks for the feedback, Freke! Yeah I am going to take the necklace to Quest tomorrow and ask them if they can add a band to the necklace as is. This is the back of the necklace:
backofpendant2.jpg

...I'd just hate to lose that.

So, you think halo on the big stone too? I must admit I am very tempted. I never realized, until I bought my first halo, how they make a colored stone pop.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1383784648|3551890 said:
Good idea! The pendant with halo looks super as a ring & the larger one would make a wonderful pendant. Either halo or maybe bezel in rose gold?? Yummmmm.

--- Laurie

YES. Rose gold is what I am thinking for the necklace. I've been regretting WG on this ring ever since minousbijoux suggested rose gold back when I had it off to be set. Since then, I've seen other mint stones set in rose gold and just been JEALOUS. Sigh.

So now I am debating - engraved rose gold bezel, or rose gold with diamond halo....

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This is a great idea and totally something I would do! I'm excited for you.

And yes, rose gold...mmmm I love it with mint gems!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I figure, go big or go home! I think it'd be so awesome. Rose gold or yellow gold.

I know what you mean about losing the back. I think Minoubijoux has a superb gallery on one of her rings?

Let us know as soon as you find out!!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the back of your pendant. Its such fine detailing.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks minous!

So, I wrote Quest to get an appt but I can't decide what to do for the shank on the ...necklace-ring. Should I do:

(a) Straight, regular diamond melee shank

(b) Graduated shank with diamonds? Like this?

(c) Split shank with diamonds

(d) Simple metal split shank, like this (originally posted by MelbourneGirl)
_843.jpg

Any thoughts?

artcarved_graduated.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the swap and just wanted to add that I love Quest!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oooh that ring is totally up my alley, but I can see why you might prefer the other. Go for the swap if you love the halo. I'd hate to wear some I wished to stare at all day around my neck.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
That ring stone from Jerry Newman is stunning! :love: Really, really, pretty!

He's recutting an ebay stone for me as we speak, I can't wait!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
So I had Quest price out a graduated diamond shank for the necklace-ring and they came back with...$2950. A bit more than I wanted so spend on a redo, so I need to come up with a cheaper alternative.

Option 1: I go for a non-diamond band, split shank like in the above pic.

Option 2: I re-use some diamonds from a band I don't like, and set them into the shank with milgrain edges.

Which do you all think would look better?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Option 2!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with option 2. Some melee or diamond detailing on the band will help make the transition from the halo to the shank.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, thanks guys :) This prob works even better because Quest sort of owes me after getting the wrong metal color on my Gene garnet ring. If I'm supplying the diamonds, maybe I can get them to give me a really good deal on this project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results