shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this oregon sunstone

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about sunstones but this one caught my eye because of the color.... what are your opinions based on the pictures? It is stated as a 1.45 ct. oregon spectral mined sunstone...I asked the seller for pictures on the hand in natural lighting... not sure if I will get a response...

any of your opinions greatly appreciated!!

_11450.jpg

_11451.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour looks good as is the cutting. Note that sunstone is a softer stone (MOH 6.5) so will require gentler care.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! I've never seen a sunstone that color...very pretty. I have nothing insightful to add though, sorry. I personally think that's an unusual color for sunstone but I have very little experience with it IRL. I like this one though.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks chrono and katharath... indeed the color is very attractive.

Thanks for the info about its hardness... I was thinking for a pendant... definitely not for a ring. I am really into reds and yellow gold!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Nice top red color sunstone, hopefully it is a reputable vendor. My only concern would be to make sure it is not a diffusion treated red andesine as the color of them can be somewhat similar to this beauty.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yeah... it is marked treaments: none known. I can ask to clarify...

The vendor added two more photos under fluorescent lighting

looks a bit too organgy but could be because of lighting

_11459.jpg

_11460.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Those pictures do look a lot more like a sunstone to my novice eye, but if it takes on that nice red color in various lighting-that would be fantastic. One of the nicest sunstones I have seen was a Richard Homer piece that had a nice orangish-red to it.

5894sunstone.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Looks nice but moody. My Chrysoberyl is the same way.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Truly truly "red" Oregon Sunstone is pretty rare.

The examples in your second set of photos are more like what most "red" Oregon Sunstone looks like.

Here are two examples of very good quality Oregon Sunstones.

The first one is mine (not for sale, part of my personal collection), second one is one that was cut by Jeff Hapeman of Earth's Treasury.

Oregon Sunstone is a really nice gem....

Please don't scold me for posting glamour shots on black backgrounds...they are all I could find of these two specific gems. Thank you!

561523_10151755461309354_740901691_n.jpg

aef44d81b7827fd2199919fb82f21a78.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thos nice quality sunstones everyone has pictures of are gorgeous! I am on the fence about this one....the first two pictures are soooooooo pretty... the last two... are still very nice...I am going to really have to think about it...especially since I have a red/pink spinel in the mail on its way ...! I should really just stop browsing!!!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
...once you start browsing...it never stops!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what did you finally decide to do?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the party but it looks like such a pretty stone from the first pictures. I'd be curious to see what it looks like in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results