shape
carat
color
clarity

New tsavorite - Opinions please

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Prima to see if I could find a setting for my spessartite. While there I saw a tsavorite that I liked but it had a large window. Jaimeen said that he was going to have it recut and I could take it home after the recut and decide whether or not I wanted it. I picked up the stone today. It is lighter than the ideal trade color but I tend to prefer medium tone tsavs. I don't see any yellow in the stone. Jaimeen felt it had a touch of blue although my eyes cannot discern this. The stone holds its color well in almost all lighting conditions. I looked at it outdoors on the way home, on the subway, in my home, etc. Unfortunately, there is still a small window - Jaimeen said a 3 percent window. I can definitely see it but Jaimeen assured me that it will close up when the tsav is set. There is some extinction. Photographing it has been a nightmare.

_11645.jpg

_11646.jpg

_11647.jpg

_11644.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hey there!

If Jaimeen says it has a touch of blue I'd believe him - we all know he knows his tsavs :). I have such a difficult time deciphering pics of tsavs - they so often look slightly different IRL vs pics (as you and I have discussed before... Lol). But that said, I like the look of this one, and I think in a setting it will look great. Very pretty and I love that cut.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Katharath. I must have taken 3 dozen photos, most of them looked nothing like the the stone does IRL. I have to admit that the window bothers me a bit. Jaimeen thinks that I am searching for the Holy Grai (of course, he put it much more politelyl! He is a very lovely person). I think that he's right. Anyway, Jaimeen did say, as I have heard from others, that tsavorite production has been awful and that he has not been able to procure many new stones of late.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I have heard that as well about production...was just discussing it with Yvonne Raley yesterday!

I know you're picky about getting the tsav you want but I understand (I think a lot of us do!). I do like this gem though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green is the most difficult color to photograph, and that window will close up in a setting. I agree with Jaimeen.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a very nice color & I like the cut too. That window should close when it's set. I haven't bought from Jaimeen, but from what those who have say, he knows his stuff. Sad about tsav production -- I'm looking for one too & have found there aren't many really nice ones out there.

--- Laurie

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I like the color too. Is that halo how you are setting it? That will look very nice.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
The tsav is actually in my IDJ jacket in the last photo. I have another tsav that I purchased from Katharath and I am thinking of setting that one in a modified IDJ jacket. I am going to add a bail and claw prongs if I go forward with the project. I am planning on setting this tsav in a ring but I haven't yet given much thought about design.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you happy with how the tsavorite looks in the IDJ jacket or does the window still bother you then?

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, the stone is larger (at aprox. 6.7mm) than the jacket which is meant to hold 5mm stones so the tsav is partially sitting in the jacket and yes, I can see the window. It looks like a very small black hole and is dead center. You can see it in the photos. I am hoping it will close up more if it is set in a halo meant for that size stone. However, it is possible that my eye is drawn straight to the window because I knowit is there. I really love the color and wish that I could capture it in photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results