shape
carat
color
clarity

ring setting

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There is this ring I am thinking about buying on eBay, it has a 1 carat blue sapphire and a diamond halo band that has .75 CTS of diamonds. But I don't really care for the sapphire. It looks dark, almost black. The seller wants $700 dollars for it. Would you buy a ring just for the setting? I think maybe I could find a 1 carat sapphire or spinel and replace it.Or it could turn out to look prettier than the pictures in real life. But I mostly want to buy it for the setting. $700 dollars for a ring with .75 CTS in diamonds is a good deal right?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how robust the shank is, the quality of the workmanship and diamonds.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture, but it is a picture of a picture because I don't know how to post a picture from the internet on my tablet here. So it's not a very good picture.

1383677412057.jpg

_11641.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can many similar settings on eBay for around the same price (LOGR, Lanbo, etc).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383672227|3550917 said:
There is this ring I am thinking about buying on eBay, it has a 1 carat blue sapphire and a diamond halo band that has .75 CTS of diamonds. But I don't really care for the sapphire. It looks dark, almost black. The seller wants $700 dollars for it. Would you buy a ring just for the setting? I think maybe I could find a 1 carat sapphire or spinel and replace it.Or it could turn out to look prettier than the pictures in real life. But I mostly want to buy it for the setting. $700 dollars for a ring with .75 CTS in diamonds is a good deal right?

Did you check out any of the ebay mounting sellers in the recommended vendor list? They sell similar rings, just to give you an idea, and they're affordable.

I would buy a ring with a stone in it if the mounting price was great, and didn't really take into account the value of the stone too much. You can find some nice second hand settings that way. Of course it would also depend on the quality for the price for me.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I agree with others that you can probably find a similar setting from LOGR or Jewelryhoo that is brand new and won't require having a stone removed and having the prongs rebuilt. It is always easier to find the gemstone first and then purchase a setting that it will fit into, rather than having to go on a search for a gemstone of a specific size to fit into an existing setting.

Here are some examples of new settings that cost less than the one you are considering:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4mm-Round-C..._Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item3f28b41c78
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUND-CUT-6...aire_Rings&hash=item3f2b6defc8#ht_6502wt_1091

Both of the above ebay vendors can customize settings as well.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice. I think it's good advice because I wouldn't want to change a ring that is already set. It would be better to just start brand new than ruin somebody's work. Although I think it would probably be pretty just the way it is, even though the sapphire looks dark. It might look different in real life.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1383689147|3551116 said:
Thank you all for your advice. I think it's good advice because I wouldn't want to change a ring that is already set. It would be better to just start brand new than ruin somebody's work. Although I think it would probably be pretty just the way it is, even though the sapphire looks dark. It might look different in real life.

I've actually seen gorgeous settings with dud stones, so I have to say, don't pass those up either if you have a stone that fits and the price is right. ;)) You may have to redo the prongs but a jeweler should be able to do that with no problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results