carat
color
clarity

Intense Pink Diamond Purchased

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello,
I Purchased a pink diamond Recently and I was wondering how much its worth. I took it to a jeweler and she said that it was authentic after using her diamond tester. But she really didn't know much about pink diamonds, I told her all I knew about the stone but she couldn't help me so I'm asking here.

Diamond:
Color- Intense Pink ("Very Good Saturation")
Cut- Oval ("Not very symmetrical")
Clarity- I1 ("Not too close to I2")
Carat- .22CT

Thank You! I'll post some pictures soon & I am willing to trade!

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
These are the pictures. One doesn't really show off the color very well, but in reality the color is very visible!

dscf9311.jpg

dscf9318.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best thing we can offer is to point you in the direction of other stones like yours so that you can see what they are currently selling for. If I were you, then, I would check out: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/

They have a broad inventory and undoubtedly have some similar to yours. :))

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank You! Since I got it today I really got to look at the color a lot and I have tried looking at Leibish's catalog and they have some really nice stones! so thank you for your suggestion.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Is it a NATURAL pink?

Or irradiated?

Irradiated is worth about 10% of natural. A lab certificate from GIA is the only way to know if it's natural. GIA only charges a couple of hundred bucks.

There are many irradiated diamond colors: pink, blue, red, and yellow are examples. Leibish diamonds are all natural, they don't handle irradiated diamonds.

That's the big money question: natural or not?

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Its a Natural Untreated pink diamond, I had the Jeweler take a look at it and I know for that its not Irradiated because I've seen Irradiated ones and they are a totally different color than mine. :wink2:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Jeweler won't be able to tell you if it's irradiated with their eyeballs, or even a microscope. And the latest color treatments are very subtle and they often slip by EGL and some of the lesser labs.

GIA has the necessary, specialized lab equipment. They send out bulletins and updates continuously about new diamond "treatments" and "enhancements" that they have found. It is a continuous battle against those that attempt to essentially "counterfeit" natural stones. GIA is the lab of choice for diamonds (not colored stones, those go to AGL) in the US.

I saw a 1 carat pink diamond in a store on 47th Street in NYC. It was VERY convincing, with an EGL certificate. Beautiful, subtle pink color, not glaring or harsh. A delicate, beautiful stone. It was $3000. It had that "too good to be true" smell to it, so I passed. Why would someone sell a $20,0000+ stone for $3000? Simple answer: They wouldn't.

Send it to GIA. You might as well, no one is going to give you what it's worth without a certificate.

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Alright Thank You very much for your help! I do have a question, If it is a natural pink diamond of this size and quality, how much would it be worth?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be HPHT or synthetic pink too.

Here's a pricescope article on synthetic diamonds, and HPHT is high pressure high temperature which is used to synthesize diamonds or color treat them.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/diamond-and-jewelry-news-roundup-june-2011

Send it to GIA. Otherwise you can't really tell the value. There is a huge difference in value between fancy light, fancy, fancy intense, fancy deep, and fancy vivid pink. And if it has a brownish modifier, that greatly affects the value too, and/or if its clarity enhanced. Also, the GIA report really helps to give it value. No one can really tell you from a photo, especially inaccurate photos. It could be worth $1K to $50K.

ohlala

Rough_Rock
it is very hard to price a colored diamond, especially the expensive colors because it really depends on the color.

like everyone else suggested, you should get a Gia if u want to sell it someday. assuming it is an untreated natural diamond, there are still many many factors. a Gia would tell you the exact color. for color, pink with no modifier is most expensive. purple modifier doesn't deduct much for the price...but orange is a little cheaper than pure pink and brown is the cheapest. this pricing is due to the appeal of the color.

so the point is, (for similar size pink diamonds) the price is really determined by the color so it is really hard to compare prices because each diamond's color is slightly different! the other major factor affecting the price is clarity. is your diamond eye clean? I have seen pink diamonds (on reputable fcd jewelers sites )around 0.25~0.5 in the price range of a 2,500~80,000. as you an see...this is a huge price gape! I have noticed that the pinks from rio tinto are more expensively priced...but their pinks look more pleasantly colored too. color is king!

so...the cheapest untreated, natural pink 0.25-0.5ct I have seens from reputable sites is about 10,000/carat. these usually have brown in then or have poor clarity. the most expensive is about 160,000/carat. but these jewelers only pick nice stones already so even the cheaper ones r usually nice diamonds.

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
And how much do you think it would cost to obtain a Gia cert for this stone?

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
It appears to be heavily included. You can find similar pink diamonds on ebay for very little money. If your diamond is as included as the picture suggest I wouldn't waste much money on a GIA report. If you plan on keeping it and wearing it the report won't matter too much anyway.

Do you have any better pictures?

BTW here is one of the many highly included pinks on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-18cts-CUSH...6662545?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item48565e3f91

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anon: good eye to catch that from her pics. I would never have thought they were that included.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1383475371|3549452 said:
It appears to be heavily included. You can find similar pink diamonds on ebay for very little money. If your diamond is as included as the picture suggest I wouldn't waste much money on a GIA report. If you plan on keeping it and wearing it the report won't matter too much anyway.

Do you have any better pictures?

BTW here is one of the many highly included pinks on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-18cts-CUSH...6662545?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item48565e3f91

Well, I think it's still a good idea to send it to GIA because he/she might want to pass it along one day, and if it does turn out to be valuable, then the GIA report is fixed in time, when certain treatments were still detectable.

If it looks like the gem on ebay though, I wouldn't bother. I really can't tell much from the pictures the OP posted, and he/she also said they were inaccurate as well. The stone is an I2, so its heavily included, but the ebay stone is probably much worse than an I2, even though they said it was on I2 in the listing. You never know what treatments it has as well (on ebay), or the stone the OP has.

Here's some I clarity diamonds on a page recommended by Pricescope, and the ebay diamond looks more included than the I3.

http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/movies9.phtml

clarity_compare.jpg

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank You for all your help. I really appreciate it and now I know what to look for when I buy pinks. The one that I purchased does have does have a noticeable inclusion on the top but it doesn't reach the surface. I might be able to call it an I2 but its defiantly not as included as the one on Ebay. And sorry I don't have any more pictures of the stone.. Im thinking of putting it on ebay or selling it to a local Jeweler to try my luck that way. Because I really don't have much time or money to spend on the stone... Thank You guys for all your help! :wavey:

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
michaeldiamondco|1383501687|3549597 said:
Thank You for all your help. I really appreciate it and now I know what to look for when I buy pinks. The one that I purchased does have does have a noticeable inclusion on the top but it doesn't reach the surface. I might be able to call it an I2 but its defiantly not as included as the one on Ebay. And sorry I don't have any more pictures of the stone.. Im thinking of putting it on ebay or selling it to a local Jeweler to try my luck that way. Because I really don't have much time or money to spend on the stone... Thank You guys for all your help! :wavey:

I wanted to add that I wasn't trying to be insulting with comparing your stone to the ebay one. I was just trying to show that just because it is a diamond and pink doesn't mean it's super valuable. I think some of the price ranges that some posters have mentioned are outrageous for this situation and potentially misleading.

About 8 years ago I became really interested in fancy colored diamonds and bought some (5-6) pretty terrible stones very similar to the ebay one. I thought just because it was a pink diamond it had to be worth something, right? I kept some of those diamonds as a reminder of how naive/ignorant/wrong I was.

Your stone may be much nicer, I don't know, I can't tell from the picture. I'm just trying to help you avoid spending/losing money unnecessary.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
michaeldiamondco|1383501687|3549597 said:

Well, you'll never know how much its worth if you don't know a thing about the color quality. You can compare on fancydiamonds.net, but ANONYMOUS is correct that pink diamonds are not always extremely valuable. For example, my jeweler had a 30 point fancy light pink with a GIA report, and it was an SI stone, and he wanted $700 for it. Therefore, that's why I said your stone could be anywhere from $1K (conservatively) and up. At least in your photos, one can see the diamond has a pink cast, although they are not the best photos.

That super included pink diamond on ebay is not valuable at all, although lately, those "dirty diamonds" are getting more and more popular in some designer jewelry.

Likewise, just because a fancy colored diamond is an I1, that doesn't mean it's not valuable. Here's an example of such a diamond.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/15354.htm#.UnbrHPmmiuI

Here's a fancy intense pink which you said your stone was graded (but not by GIA).

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/14080.htm#.UnbrhfmmiuI

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the info. I think that ill post some more pictures tomorrow of the diamond, but I took it outside and I saw that the color is more of a Purple and you can clearly see that diamond has a nice saturation so I could probably compare it to this diamond on Leibish's website : http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/14375.htm#.Unb0S03TnVg

If the diamond were to be an I2 would the diamond still be valuable? But im not talking about an I2 like the one that you showed from Ebay but something with much less inclusions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
michaeldiamondco|1383527600|3549789 said:
Thanks for the info. I think that ill post some more pictures tomorrow of the diamond, but I took it outside and I saw that the color is more of a Purple and you can clearly see that diamond has a nice saturation so I could probably compare it to this diamond on Leibish's website : http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/14375.htm#.Unb0S03TnVg

If the diamond were to be an I2 would the diamond still be valuable? But im not talking about an I2 like the one that you showed from Ebay but something with much less inclusions.

If it looks like that, then yes, I would definitely send it to GIA, and I think, even with the inclusions you describe, it could still be valuable. Inclusions in colored diamonds, like pinks, blues, reds, are far more accepted than in white diamonds. However, the inclusions in the ebay diamond are another story, and they truly diminish the value of that stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, here's a very valuable pink diamond that was part of the annual Argyle mine "Pink Tender" that consists of the prime material found each year from the mine. It's very exclusive, highly prized and expensive material. However, look at these very visible inclusions in this stone. If these inclusions were in a white diamond, the stone would almost be considered a dud. I don't think so, but some people might scoff at these inclusions in a white diamond. It was graded with I1 clarity.

fancy-vivid-pink-argyle-round-diamond-84168.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: its hard to tell from your pictures of your stone, but its really important to be able to recognize differences in hue and saturation, and to be able to identify any modifiers the color might have. Subtle differences in saturation level can have huge affects on price. I say this because the comp you pulled up from Leibish, the Fancy Intense Purplish Pink, looks considerably more saturated of hue than yours does. Admittedly, your photos are tiny and its hard to tell, but I would just not want you to make the mistake of thinking your stone was comparable to a $20k stone, when it is lacking in a significant way.

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Actually I have seen the auction of the Argyle tenders and the reason I got interested in pinks was because of it and also I really like the color of them.

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ill post a few more pics tomorrow with the diamond in a case and also a picture of it on my fingertip.. Admittedly It looks more like a 10 pointer, but I know why, its because of the Depth its 3x3mm and 2.8mm in depth according to the description but its still very nice! And from a distance you can still really see that nice purplish pink color!

ohlala

Rough_Rock
TL|1383528578|3549799 said:
michaeldiamondco|1383527600|3549789 said:

if it looks like that, then yes, i would definitely send it to GIA, and i think, even with the inclusions you describe, it could still be valuable. Inclusions in colored diamonds, like pinks, blues, reds, are far more accepted than in white diamonds. however, the inclusions in the ebay diamond are another story, and they truly diminish the value of that stone.

i totally agree with TL. if it looks as good as the one's on Leibish's website...and the color is intense, then send it to GIA. you will get much more for the diamond if it has a GIA certificate (assuming it comes back a good color and intensity). without a GIA certificate, people won't really believe it is whatever intensity you claim. you can post as many pictures as you want...but without the certificate, you won't get as much value. even reputable companies like Leibish need to spend the money for the GIA certificate! seriously, only you have seen it in person and only you know how nice and saturated it really is. if it's a really nice color, intensity and good enough clarity, you should get the GIA. not only will it make selling easier, it'll allow you to get a better price too.

if the stone is not a pleasant clarity or the color is not that nice, you might think twice about getting the GIA certificate. i mean, if the stone is like the one's on ebay and only worth $100...then no need to spend $98 on a GIA certificate :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you are concerned about treatment, which might be another reason to send it to GIA. An untreated pink diamond is worth far more than a treated (HPHT or irradiated or some other) pink diamond. There is no way a person can detect the treatment with the naked eye or using only a loupe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results