shape
carat
color
clarity

should i buy memory foam mattress or regular mattress?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I need to buy a new mattress. I have a platform bed so will just be buying the mattress, not a box spring. I am intrigued by memory foam mattresses. I would love to hear from those who have bought them. Do you like them? Do you regret your purchase? How do they compare to traditional mattresses?

Also, I have heard they make you hotter?? That's a concern.

Please share what you think!

I'm going mattress shopping this week.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a foam mattress and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Random people who end up in my bedroom (that's isn't as bad as it sounds! like if my girlfriends are over and I'm getting ready and they sit down on the bed while I get dressed) cannot believe how comfortable it is.

The older versions did get hot but I think they've improved. Another problem was that you used to sink into them like crazy so you had to climb out of a rut in the morning, that doesn't seem to be the case any more. The flip side to that though is my mattress is QUITE firm so that may be a consideration if you're a cushy bed lover.

My advice is to go to a store that has them and lay on them. Really lay on them. Like take a book and spend some time. Seriously. This is an investment. And I don't remember exactly how much mine was but I do remember it was A LOT more than a regular mattress.

One other thing is that they are heavy so moving them is a challenge, not to mention they are "flubby" and need to be put in a box for moving because you can't really put them up on end like you can with a mattress that has more structure. Putting sheets on and making the bed can also be a bit of a workout because of the weight factor.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently we bought a foam mattress and I hate it.
It does not breath like a regular mattress and I wake up with a sweaty shirt. :knockout:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, that's my biggest concern. I'm 40something and been having hot flashes. Waking up in a cold sweat is the worst!

Dee Jay do you tend to sink into the mattress?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I would say do NOT get a memory foam mattress. Why? Because you will end up spending money on 5-star hotels on vacation and counting down the days until you can go home lol! We are completely spoiled and can't sleep anywhere but at home!

Seriously though, our Tempurpedic has SAVED us. It is the best thing in the universe. We like a firm mattress so we actually got the most firm Tempurpedic available, but it still contours to your joints and takes the pressure off. It just feels amazing. I can't describe it exactly, but I have issues with my back and hips and when I lay down in bed, it takes all of the weight off and I feel "cradled". Love love love love love it. Love it. Can't speak highly enough about it.

We have a Cali King and it was right around $2,000 - came with two free pillows and a mattress cover. From what I was told by the guy that sold it to me, who happens to be a family friend, is that prices on Tempurpedic mattresses are pretty much regulated across the country without wiggle room, but they DO have flexibility on the "extras" that they can throw in - like the free pillows and covers.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every memory foam I have tried has left me super sweaty.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1383111698|3547274 said:
Every memory foam I have tried has left me super sweaty.

Same here. I really like memory foam mattresses but they are so warm that I find it too much even for the British summer! I would love a mattress that gives the same level of support without the sweatiness. Still looking....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't understand the fixation with memory foam when there is the one, the only, all-natural talalay latex. Breathes like a dream, takes forever to get a body impression, and comes in different densities. I grew up on the stuff and have never been able to sleep properly on anything else.

Check out this site. It's where I ordered my bed - which I ADORE. If nothing else, you can get great information on latex beds. They sell memory foam too as I recall.

http://www.flobeds.com/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before we bought our "regular" mattress, we laid on several in stores. I would break out in a serious overheating sweat on the memory foam ones, even though it was like 40 degrees outside, so there was no way I could do that. But I found them WAY too hard and not at all "giving" or formfitting to the body.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Google latex foam, not memory foam. SO MUCH BETTER. It breathes & stays cool in summer, warm in winter. Doesn't get dents (unless you're too heavy like my DH). But his dent doesn't wander over to my side of the bed -- it's still pristine after 3 yrs.

I've had back pain forever, but since getting this mattress, it's totally gone. I also love that the mattress doesn't bounce, because DH is a night crawler & used to wake me up getting out of bed.

There's a natural latex foam & one lab-grown; my research said there isn't any difference in performance or how long they last -- I bought a mattress that is a combination of the 2. They do not interest bedbugs or other critters, either, which is lovely.

--- Laurie

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another suggestion: Buy your mattress (whatever you decide to go with) from a place that has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Many places have this, just not advertised, so just ask about the policy. And don't give up on a mattress after one or two nights becuase your body may take a while to adjust no matter what you get, but if after a reasonable amount of time you are just miserable, send that puppy back and get something different!

Also, there are different types of foam, i.e., memory foam that conforms more to your body and gets hot, vs. the various types of latex less-rut-producing, so get a good sales person to explain those differences to you too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have latex issues--don't go foam. I can't be in contact with it at all. Even with sheets over it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore latex and will never have another kind of mattress!!!

This is mine (not available everywhere, though):

http://www.originalmattress.com/latex-foam/overview

We bought the firmer one because my husband can't stand soft mattresses, but it is still soft enough for me. A bonus is that it is double sided, so it will last a LOT longer than mattresses with just one usable side.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between latex foam and whatever it is that is non-latex (would that be rubber?) foam? I'd love to get a primer as I too will be mattress shopping soon and know that memory foam will likely make me wait to hot.

Oh, and apologies, asscherisme, I hope you don't mind that I ask this question.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1383151210|3547541 said:
What is the difference between latex foam and whatever it is that is non-latex (would that be rubber?) foam? I'd love to get a primer as I too will be mattress shopping soon and know that memory foam will likely make me wait to hot.

Oh, and apologies, asscherisme, I hope you don't mind that I ask this question.

Here is some info on natural versus synthetic latex. (this is not a comparison of the various types of latex to synthetic non-latex foams)
http://www.flobeds.com/information/latex/talalay-vs-dunlop.htm

I will only say, the closer you can get your body to the actual foam - ie, not covered over with a super-thick topper, etc.,the more you will adore latex foam. It fills in all the hollows as well as memory foam, but leaves no impression and bounces back instantly. Other foams break down faster and honestly, nothing, NOTHING feels quite like latex. If memory foam has a certain feel, then so does latex, and once you are familiar with it, you'll never mistake something else for latex. I simply could not function on anything but, because my back is awful and pressure points are a huge problem for me, and with latex, pressure is not an issue. It also comes in various densities, so it's not only one way. Pretty versatile.

I'm not saying you'll like it better than a memory foam, I know some people swear by it - we all have a preference, but for those of us who are fans, we're pretty rabid, as you can see.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ksinger. :wavey:

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I'm another vote for a natural latex mattress. I think we've had ours for about 5 years now, and we love it. It doesn't get too hot, and it's very comfortable! I also like knowing that ours is covered with organic cotton, and that it's not off gassing flame retardant chemicals like a "regular" mattress.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
We just bought a new mattress -- the memory foam we tried was too firm for us. We ended up getting a medium firm sealy posturpedic with a cooling foam euro/pillow top. Living in SoFla it's not too hot at all.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
update: I went to 2 stores and tried all kind of different foam mattresses of many types and hated them! I did not like the feel of it. I ended up buying a traditional mattress. You can't buy a mattress without trying lots of them. I brought my teenage daughter and she and I would lay on various beds for long periods of time. We had a lot of fun shopping!

Thanks for the replies!

minousbijoux no need to apologize! I think these types of threads are so great because many people learn from them, not just the original poster

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1383106754|3547245 said:

I'm sure your hubby doesn't mind... :naughty: :naughty:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1383259462|3548394 said:
asscherisme|1383106754|3547245 said:

I'm sure your hubby doesn't mind... :naughty: :naughty:

I'm divorced

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1383155082|3547603 said:
Switching to a memory foam mattress saved my back! We love ours. But latex? I've never even heard of a latex mattress! Off to research!

Ditto exactly!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am not happy with my new one...too firm and too warm. Should have exchanged when I had the chance. Oh well.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results