shape
carat
color
clarity

According to this life expectancy test I'm already dead...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: According to this life expectancy test I'm already dead.

That makes two of us! I have to say that I aced the first part of the exam, though!

Of course I did twist my knee two weeks ago....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay|1382812508|3545134 said:
http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/this-simple-sitting-test-could-predict-how-long-you-will-live?hpt=hp_bn18

Apparently a torn ACL = straight to the mortuary baby!

Then, can I have your diamonds? :Up_to_something: :lol:

ETA, Uh Oh! I'm already dead too. :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1382822442|3545208 said:
http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/this-simple-sitting-test-could-predict-how-long-you-will-live?hpt=hp_bn18

Remember ...only the good die young... ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Call the morgue. I will turn on the porch light if I ever get up off the floor.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The first test is understanding the test. I failed.

My question: are you supposed to do it over and over again and see how many times you can do it in a minute or some other provided timeframe which I seemed to have missed?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1382825942|3545235 said:
kenny|1382822442|3545208 said:

Remember ...only the good die young... ;))

Actually... only the young die young!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

They only tested the over 50s. As someone in her thirties, this test was very easy. I now think I'm going to live forever. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I'm cold & buried already. Oh well, it'll be cheaper that way.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

rosetta|1382867744|3545478 said:
They only tested the over 50s. As someone in her thirties, this test was very easy. I now think I'm going to live forever. :bigsmile:

Me, too. I'll take anything I can get, considering how long it's been since I've actually paid a visit to the gym...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I intend to live forever. So far, so good! - Steven Wright

Some of the things the people at the gym were doing this morning seemed to be akin to a life expectancy test like this. By the looks of it, even with personal trainers to the tune of a hundred bucks an hour, a couple of them weren't going to live past noon.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL!

I'm not past 50 so won't take the test. I do have to question the advisement of having old people doing this test, where they get more points without using support, like asking for someone to break a hip!

there are other balance, strength tests for older people that are less of a fall risk.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting! I go through almost those exact motions many times a day, but I'm staying at home with my toddler right now and that's just what ya do, ya know? I think I use my arms for leverage most of the time, so I'm probably going to die soon. ;)) I was really aware that my flexibility isn't what it used to be tonight, when A wanted to mirror me sitting spread-eagle (YOGA PANTS, people, yoga pants) while we read a book on the floor. I don't have the same extensions I did when I was taking ballet as a teenager, that's for damn sure. :rolleyes:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Well, I just looked more deeply into this test. I was feeling good because I was able to get up without using my hands or knees for support. But apparently, that still doesn't count.

I was pushing off using my abdominal muscles from a cross-legged position and the length of my shin touched the floor. But no no no! You are supposed to magically rise from a cross-legged position as if pulled by a string from the top of your head. Not even your leg is supposed to touch the floor. See this video of the scientist himself with his subjects:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254100.php

I was wondering how on earth anyone could magically rise straight up like this, balancing on the edges of their feet. I see that in the video, a very fit, muscly young man does it. But what if you are a woman whose weight is concentrated in her behind? I am not overweight but what weight I do have always goes to my bum and hips - there is a 12-inch difference between my waist and hips, no matter how thin I am. (By "hips" I mean low/full hip measurement around the butt, fullest part, not hip bones.) When I try to do it like the man in the video, there's no way. I feel my bum is weighing me down!!

I think there are a lot of slim, fit people who could not do this. I used to weight 105 pounds and was an amateur ballet dancer, and I don't think I could do this even then. I do have very short Achilles tendons, ever since a child, which is why I could never have been a real dancer, so since this exercise requires that you balance all your weight on the outside of your ankles to rise, maybe that's partly why I can't do it. Trying to do so really hurt the outside of my ankles!

I mean, seriously. Does anyone else think that asking someone to rise in this manner is a completely unreasonable test? How on earth can you rise from cross-legged just straight up with not even a leg touching the floor? There is absolutely no way I can do that, although I can do it the way showed in the video with no hands and knees but pushing off a shin. One of the comments below this video says that even chimps use a hand to help them stand up. I think only the super-fit, super-conditioned, and maybe very young could magically rise straight up from the floor with no hand, knee or leg touching the floor.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with you Smith! I think it is a bit ridiculous to say that if you can't do it, you may only have six years to live. Who comes up with ths stuff? There are a hundred reasons why it would be difficult to do this, from old injuries to arthritus. Being limber doesnt always equal good health either.

I am really dead according to this exercise!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Actually, I'm a little perturbed by this story, luv! I've been practising more, and I am fine with getting straight up with no support from a completely crouched position balancing on the balls of my feet. What I can't do is get from my bum onto the balls of my feet with no support, hand, pushing off a shin, nothing. That part I find completely impossible.

I read some comments from lots of people on a website who had tried it, and one man said that if you have short Achilles tendons and high arches, it's impossible, and I have both of those. But also, women, even when thin, have proportionally larger pelvises and more weight concentrated in the bum area than men, so I wonder if that makes it harder than the male model in the video doing it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Feel free to send me your roadster :bigsmile: I'll give it a loving home.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, aging knees just don't cut it! I think the more important factor though is having good core muscles. They support your frame and aid in breathing. I hope to be able to sit up straight in a wheelchair after my knees have failed me!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes according to the scoring, even bracing your hand on your leg deducts points! Unless someone told you, you wouldn't even know what to avoid to get the best score, so you can change the score depending on what information or lack the scorer tells you.
It says the scorer can then give hints if get a low score, then that means some pple would be doing the test multiple times, which seems suspect.

My main objection, it is a falls risk. It's supposed to be done with 50 year olds, but none the actors (except for the doctor) demonstrating proper execution is remotely close to that age (and all are male).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1383090395|3547070 said:
Yeah, aging knees just don't cut it! I think the more important factor though is having good core muscles. They support your frame and aid in breathing. I hope to be able to sit up straight in a wheelchair after my knees have failed me!

I hope to be able to bend my elbow far enough so I can still drink out of my wine glass unassisted.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Well, none of my grandparents were exercisers or that active and I'm pretty sure that at 50 none of them would have been able to magically rise straight up from the floor without the help of a leg, knee or hand, and not even putting a hand on their leg, but all of them lived to be almost ninety.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No issues doing it sans hands, shins and etc but I'm not yet 50. :lol: As with all predictive tests, it isn't a guarantee but only estimates the likelyhood.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm 51, with a "repaired" ACL that will never function well, a tweaked MCL and cartilage issues. But I have a very strong balance sport background/core strength, so the test was not difficult for me. As a hint, I would say that it's very important to keep your head up. As we used to say, look down and you will fall down.

But as someone upthread noted, I have relatives who lived into their 90s who probably couldn't have executed this move in their 20s :D

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got home and tried it, was able to do both parts no problem. But I do yoga so maybe that helps (and I'm not yet 50).

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Well, I'm feeling totally on the scrapheap now! :lol: I only turned 39 a couple of weeks ago, but there is no way I can rise straight up from sitting on my bum without letting any part of my legs whatsoever touch the floor, or a hand or knee. How are you all DOING it?? I mean, you literally cannot let any part of your body except your feet touch the floor. You have to rise straight up as if pulled by a magic cord. I don't get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results