shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinions Orange Sapphire 5ct: Honest opinions please.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Experts, about to buy this Orange Sapphire slightly over 5 ct, No BE, just Heated. What do you think? Is that a big window?
Well, give me your honest opinions. Promise no retaliation :twirl:

pporangesapp5ct.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need Opinions Orange Sapphire 5ct: Honest opinions pleas

You've seen it in hand? You have proof that it is heat only? I see a tilt window in the first one but cannot make out any cut details on the second picturre.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Yes Chrono (Thanks for your opinion), I have sighted the cert dated 3 weeks ago confirming to be heat only. When placed between my fingers, for some reason the window is not obvious (maybe I am an orange alien after all, I need a lab to certify it though :mrgreen: ) or it's the phone camera effect. :errrr:

orangesapp5ct2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First step done, which is great! What lab was it sent to?

The sapphire is still tilted in the latest picture but that tilt window looks fairly large. I am concerned the window isn't as obvious on the hand because your skin colour helps mask the window (there is some orange and brown in our skin tone which blends in with the stone's true colour).

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Took me couple minutes to take the picture (to appropriately represent). The cert was done by lab called Nan Yang Gemological based in Singapore.

orangesapp5ct3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NanYang is an acceptable lab. If that sapphire / picture is straight on, the window is fairly large. Out of curiousity, what are the dimensions of the stone? By calculating depth %, you can guess if it is overly shallow. Sometimes deep stones can also window due to improper angles but I have a feeling this isn't a deep stone.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

You are not guessing, since you know it :bigsmile: it is 10x9x6mm. It is shallow, So what do you conclude of the overall? Buy or Pass?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Colour accuracy?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

I would say fairly accurate 95% accuracy, quite vivid with slight brown modifier. Eye clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First 2 pictures are strongly saturated but the light source also looks very strong. Last 2 pictures show far less saturation with stronger brown.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for pointing it out; did not notice until I place both cameras next to each other. Sigh, First 2 pictures were taken with ASUS camera Phone(enhancing the orangeness), the last 2 were taken with HTC which is to be closer to the actual with brown modifier. *edit. Does the window bother you?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can NanYang test for BE? Might be worth checking as I know only a small handful of labs have the capability. Almost all orange sapphires have had BE applied (sometimes called lattice diffusion) and I would urge caution.

In terms of whether it has a window - I'm afraid yes it does and it's fairly large. It's a great size though. Will you be able to put up with the window?

As for the colour it's so difficult because in some of your photos it appears very brown but in others not so. If you like the colour, size, are convinced it hasn't had BE treatment and can live with the window then it should be a keeper.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGL can sometimes spot signs of diffusion / non-diffusion without LIBs testing. Can NanYang do the same? The only sure-proof way is with LIBs though as CC and LD mentioned. I think you are in Singapore? If so, GIA should have an office closer to you in Asia.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Good point LD(Lattice Diffusion =) ) I will scrutinize more to see if they have had LD testing (Pun intended) in other stones. As I mentioned the brownish ones are more accurate due to the different camera phones I was using earlier and latter in the day (thanks to Chrono for pointing it). The window(now confirmed large) is the one concern that made me seek your opinions, but judging from fingers testing I think the window will not be so obvious once set, but this will leave me to ponder couple more days. Thanks for all your input, I think I have enough inputs to make a decision.
:appl:
Cheers

PS Chrono: One of The closest GIA is in Hong Kong (also in Thailand even closer), and as GIA(God In Action) attitude, they are not the friendliest bunch from experience when I went there for diamonds testing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know it sounds like you've already gotten the info you need to make a decision, but wanted to jump on quickly to say that the strong brown and the window taken together, would definitely be enough for me to pass on the stone. :((

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Minou(your input is always appreciated ), I returned the stone today. Was informed by other dealer that while Nanyang is unable to perform LIBS, the gemologist uses special solution and lights to tell whether BE is present on Yellow, Orange and Blue; however, cited difficulties with Rubies, thus recommend other labs such as GRS for rubies.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

From your description, NanYang is only able to test for surface diffusion, not the type of diffusion that penetrates deep into the stone where the colouration is evenly spread. The stone is immersed in pure methylene iodide and viewed under magnification with a diffused white plastic or white plate covering the light source. This allows the stone's true distribution of internal colour to be seen. This method cannot be used for the more advanced diffusion treatments.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Chrono for killing my dream to buy orange sapphires :lol: But knowing this, I am becoming more cautious and realize the importance of LIBS. :praise:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can look at it from the perspective that you were saved from a very expensive purchase. :devil: :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have a look at AGS. They have a load of orange and yellow sapphires. Nearly all are treated by Be. I would urge caution when starting your next search and make any purchase conditional on a favourable report from AGL or GIA

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Jim Rentfrow at Flat Facets has an orange sapphire that looks very pretty.

Chrono, good job saving another PSer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results