shape
carat
color
clarity

Going from 3 stone to halo- anyone done it?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My husband is open to me resetting my 3 stone ring and he picked out the Vatche Grace as one he really liked (much to my surprise). My center stone is modest and one of the concerns is that it's too small for the melee. The size in the pic is about a carat whereas my stone is .78, but the jeweler said it would work.

Any thoughts? I just worry that a halo will eventually feel too ornate for me, since I tend to like simpler settings. I'm attaching pics of the grace on my finger as well as my current setting.

_11323.jpg

_11324.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if youre concerned the about it being too ornate for you in the long run, have you considered a plain shank halo?

Also, if youre concerned about the size of the melee, maybe bezel it? what size is that? My pear was 5.5mm across (probably around the size of your round, and i found bezeling it did help ad detention to the stone, and the .5 pointers made the halo uber delicate, and didnt pull focus

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockredo just did: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-round-brilliant-in-a-cushion-or-round-halo.194662//']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-round-brilliant-in-a-cushion-or-round-halo.194662//[/URL]
She has a beautiful halo ring!!

Hers has a bigger center stone though (1.3 ct I believe). In your case I believe that the 3 stone gives you better finger coverage. Also, I indeed find the halo a bit overwhelming in this size. Niels recommendations could be a great solution!!

I love your 3 stone!!! :love:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
IDK but your sidestones ae going to make perfect studs :naughty: :naughty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an avid halo lover, but in this case I agree with Acinom that the 3 stone seems like it will give you more finger coverage in the long run. How about a 3 stone halo? :naughty: If you lean towards simpler settings, maybe sticking with your current one is your best bet. It's beautiful!

A plain shank halo would look great too though...I love the look of a plain shank halo layered with different bands.

All depends on how you feel and what you think will make you happiest...I always thought I preferred simple settings but I am really enjoying wearing my slightly more ornate halo...sometimes it's fun to step out of the box a little.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The plain shank halo is a good idea, since pave can irritate my fingers. I actually do own a colored stone halo, which I love, but would probably sell. I'm just very change-averse and will undoubtedly overanalyze. I'm bored with my 3 stone (sounds bratty, I know). DH seemed open to possibly upgrading my center stone so that could be another option or maybe I could just get a new wedding ring.

The side stones were earrings once upon a time! I have replaced them with other diamonds so maybe if I do use the center stone elsewhere, I'd replace with a sapphire.

_11325.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I just did it! However I went with a very delicate thin halo and pave set band. The Harry Winston one was my inspiration. I think that keeps it simple and focus on the stone. I think it made my stone look so much bigger! My only regret is I am unsure if I made the right choice cushion versus sound halo?!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 3 stone and went to a halo and never looked back! Plus, it gave me the excuse of getting a 3 stone for my rhr.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a PSer who reset her .60 ct stone into the Grace vatche halo and it looked amazing, so I don't think your stone is too small you just need the right version/size of the Grace. I think her photos are in the "solitaires to halos before and after" thread, maybe you can find them?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
braga123|1382816634|3545169 said:
I had a 3 stone and went to a halo and never looked back! Plus, it gave me the excuse of getting a 3 stone for my rhr.

Did the halo give you more finger coverage?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi LS! I haven't done it yet, but I will be selling my RHR three stone ring .25/.5/.25 and buying a chunky cushion ~1-1.25 carats in the spring. I am also *bored* with the three stone. So I know what you mean. I have enjoyed my three stone but I have always wanted to try a halo and I will be doing that. I most likely will be doing the Tiffany Soleste with the double halo. Hey, if I am gonna halo, I might as well go all out!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Oh and I love the Grace! I really think it would come out beautiful with your stone. And I think that while your three stone may give you more left to right finger coverage, I think the halo'd stone will look more like a single larger stone and give a completely different, larger look. if that makes sense...

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1382828000|3545259 said:
braga123|1382816634|3545169 said:

Did the halo give you more finger coverage?

I don't know if it gave me more finger coverage since that was not my motivation for changing it. I swapped the setting bc my stone is not ideal cut, so I felt it need some assistance in the sparkle department. Now, my stone never has a bad day. I can say for sure that the halo setting gets me more compliments!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I like your three stone and it does give you a lot of finger coverage, perhaps a five stone instead?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I know the feeling of wanting change for change's sake, but I *do*love the look of your three-stone on your hand.
It just looks so perfect already!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1382884587|3545566 said:
I know the feeling of wanting change for change's sake, but I *do*love the look of your three-stone on your hand.
It just looks so perfect already!

I completely agree! Your three stone is one of my all time favorites. :love: :love:

That said, I'm sure whatever you do will be lovely too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1382871738|3545492 said:
I like your three stone and it does give you a lot of finger coverage, perhaps a five stone instead?

This is a good idea! And a new style of mount, perhaps a swoopy one like MTGs new one, it would change how you feel about the ring!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Your three stone is timeless. I do love the idea of a graduated five stone ring.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just think your 3 stone is so perfectly proportioned for your hand. If you're bored, maybe try different stackers to start? I'm sure you will love a halo, but I think you may miss the coverage!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1382814922|3545156 said:
IDK but your sidestones ae going to make perfect studs :naughty: :naughty:

This was my first thought -- HA!! :naughty: :lol: ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...a halo center stone is an interesting idea! Thanks!

You all are right- a halo gives more vertical coverage while my current ring is more horizontal coverage. I took some pics of my colored stone halo on the same finger- to me, the halo looks much bigger regardless of whether it's on top or bottom. I also took a pic of how I sometimes stack with my ering. I wouldn't mind a killer new wedding ring.

_11372.jpg

_11373.jpg

_11374.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results