shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you identify a cz from a diamond by the naked eye?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1370718456|3461654 said:
madelise|1370717793|3461651 said:
Isn't it against forum policies to talk about CZs? Anyway, I've got an inkling a few posts on SMTB recently are simulants. I just can't believe they haven't been "called out" on them yet, but for fear that I'm wrong since I'm still sort of a newb on this, I won't call them out.

It is against forum rules except in the Lab Grown/Man-made forum. I just had this discussion the other night. You are right about SMTB, I know for a fact that at least one ring has a CZ but since the stone itself isn't really being discussed I haven't said anything.

Hm, the ones that have caught me attention are also not discussing the stones themselves, more the settings. However, it wasn't just a quick mention of the size. We may or may not be talking about the same thread, though I've got more than 1 on my radar.

I actually think Man-Made thread actually ISN'T for CZ or moissonite simulant talk. I believe it's only for talking about actual diamonds, just from lab sources, not from earth mined sources. There was a PS article on how they're just as expensive as earth mined because most of the cost is due to the labor of manufacturing and cutting the stones.

Smith1942 said:
Really? I haven't seen anything in SMTB that is fake being passed off as real. How fascinating! Oh.....I CAN think of one that I thought was odd colour-wise, although I didn't peg it as fake. It was reportedly an extremely high colour yet looks really yellow and the poster declined to post the certificate, although it was supposed to be from a reputable lab.

As for this thread...oh, it's about SO much more than CZ. I couldn't care less about CZ, I really dislike it, it's fake jewellery to me and I couldn't imagine ever wearing it. But the OP on this thread really had some issues with women, which is what we've been posting about, mainly.

I have nothing against CZs or simulants. I think sparklies are a wonderful privilege that everyone should be able to afford, whether it be through diamonds or through simulants. It might not be my cup of tea (for now! that may change when I've exhausted all of my life budget for bling), but I would never condemn someone for owning them. Many even place them in elaborate and very pricey settings, so I don't think they'll be happy to hear that they're labeled as "fake" jewelry.

I'm just wondering why this particular thread has not been shut down, especially when there's an obvious troll here to start up drama by irritating multiple PSers and women in general. It's one thing to be civil, but this guy is obviously a jerk trying to do some revese feel-goods on himself by insulting everyone who doesn't get a simulant. I'm sure there might be a textbook psychological diagnosis for that. ;)) It would be so easy to close this thread because it feels like it started on one foot of someone asking if they can pull off buying a CZ and pretending it's a diamond…. and then someone else just stirring the pot and insulting women and the industry of diamonds. :rolleyes:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1370729812|3461746 said:
Catmom|1370718456|3461654 said:
madelise|1370717793|3461651 said:
Isn't it against forum policies to talk about CZs? Anyway, I've got an inkling a few posts on SMTB recently are simulants. I just can't believe they haven't been "called out" on them yet, but for fear that I'm wrong since I'm still sort of a newb on this, I won't call them out.

It is against forum rules except in the Lab Grown/Man-made forum. I just had this discussion the other night. You are right about SMTB, I know for a fact that at least one ring has a CZ but since the stone itself isn't really being discussed I haven't said anything.

Hm, the ones that have caught me attention are also not discussing the stones themselves, more the settings. However, it wasn't just a quick mention of the size. We may or may not be talking about the same thread, though I've got more than 1 on my radar.

I actually think Man-Made thread actually ISN'T for CZ or moissonite simulant talk. I believe it's only for talking about actual diamonds, just from lab sources, not from earth mined sources. There was a PS article on how they're just as expensive as earth mined because most of the cost is due to the labor of manufacturing and cutting the stones.

Smith1942 said:
Really? I haven't seen anything in SMTB that is fake being passed off as real. How fascinating! Oh.....I CAN think of one that I thought was odd colour-wise, although I didn't peg it as fake. It was reportedly an extremely high colour yet looks really yellow and the poster declined to post the certificate, although it was supposed to be from a reputable lab.

As for this thread...oh, it's about SO much more than CZ. I couldn't care less about CZ, I really dislike it, it's fake jewellery to me and I couldn't imagine ever wearing it. But the OP on this thread really had some issues with women, which is what we've been posting about, mainly.

I have nothing against CZs or simulants. I think sparklies are a wonderful privilege that everyone should be able to afford, whether it be through diamonds or through simulants. It might not be my cup of tea (for now! that may change when I've exhausted all of my life budget for bling), but I would never condemn someone for owning them. Many even place them in elaborate and very pricey settings, so I don't think they'll be happy to hear that they're labeled as "fake" jewelry.

I'm just wondering why this particular thread has not been shut down, especially when there's an obvious troll here to start up drama by irritating multiple PSers and women in general. It's one thing to be civil, but this guy is obviously a jerk trying to do some revese feel-goods on himself by insulting everyone who doesn't get a simulant. I'm sure there might be a textbook psychological diagnosis for that. ;)) It would be so easy to close this thread because it feels like it started on one foot of someone asking if they can pull off buying a CZ and pretending it's a diamond…. and then someone else just stirring the pot and insulting women and the industry of diamonds. :rolleyes:

I've never condemned anyone for wearing them! Above, I said that "I" really dislike them and "I" wouldn't wear them and "I" don't care enough about them to discuss them. But I couldn't care less what others choose to do - I just wouldn't wear them myself and have certainly never condemned anyone else for doing so.

It did occur to me that the angry sentiments of the OP aren't in the spirit of PS, but since others have been allowed to get away with attacking me on previous occasions (someone insulted my jewellery in SMTB, another really laid into me not once but twice, calling me "tacky" and other names for being upset that my hometown was bombed in April on top of other things - I had the thread removed before she embarrassed herself further) and yet I have never remotely attacked anyone but received tickings off for the mildest of forum transgressions, I don't have much faith in the moderation. Therefore I didn't contact them. I also think the OP wasn't just stirring but was actually serious in his opinions, and we were trying to save him from himself! :lol:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pricescope has had "can you tell" threads in Hangout before, and I think that they are relevant as a large number of people are worried about their stones being swapped somehow and unfortunately the vast majority of "lab diamonds" out on the Internet are fraudulently mislabeled cubic zirconias. I always try to avoid specifics on these sorts of threads like "Wink Jones is a well-known purveyor of high quality CZ at a fair price" but sometimes it comes out anyhow.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I also think it's an interesting topic in itself, as to whether you can tell or not. Sometimes they look so awful, but apparently there is very high-quality stuff out there too - in which case.......could you tell? And if you really can't tell, it begs the question of why we're bothering. (Rhetorical questions.)

ETA: Just checked the forum rules and they say, regarding Hangout, "Hang about diamond and non-diamond issues". Where you are not supposed to discuss simulants, the rules all say "Thou shalt not discuss simulants" or similar. Since this rule is not laid down in Hangout rules, I think we're OK!

On the other hand, if we're not supposed to discuss CZ in Hangout then they need to put that clearly in the Hangout forum rules.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it does.

2. This is a diamond education site and we want to keep the focus as such.
Discussions related to any diamond simulants, Cubic Zirconia (CZ), Moissanite, or anyother man-made gemstones are not allowed on this board.
Posts related to pearls are only to be discussed in designated sections on the forum.

This is located in the forum policy, which is extended for all sub forums, including hangout.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Madelise. In that case, I don't understand why the OP's original question wasn't soon deleted. It looks as if it should have been.

Where is the policy for the entire board located? I have often thought there must be more rules, but they aren't on the home page, and then if you click on Forum it just lists the rules for every forum. :confused:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1370735569|3461789 said:
Thanks Madelise. In that case, I don't understand why the OP's original question wasn't soon deleted. It looks as if it should have been.

Where is the policy for the entire board located? I have often thought there must be more rules, but they aren't on the home page, and then if you click on Forum it just lists the rules for every forum. :confused:

This is a quote from Ella taken from another thread:

A reminder that we don't allow discussion of simulants on the forum, but as long as the discussion is revolving around a scientific question, we can allow it.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
But when she says "the forum" does she mean a specific forum, or the whole board or Pricescope...or what? Anyway, hopefully Madelise will point to where the "master rules" (so to speak) are posted.

I don't usually talk about CZs since I'm uninterested in them; just that if it's not allowed, the original question should have been long deleted!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1370738546|3461823 said:
But when she says "the forum" does she mean a specific forum, or the whole board or Pricescope...or what? Anyway, hopefully Madelise will point to where the "master rules" (so to speak) are posted.

I don't usually talk about CZs since I'm uninterested in them; just that if it's not allowed, the original question should have been long deleted!

It hasn't been deleted, so it must be ok. I think Ella is referring to the entire board in the sentence I quoted. If you have a specific question you can hit the report concern button and just ask admin yourself.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Probably best that the thread dies a dignified death, anyway. It was very odd, someone coming on here like that. In his other threads he sounded like a woman, then he sounded as if he was a guy buying a simulant for a woman, and then he sounded like someone who just disliked all women! Very odd indeed.

All juicy fodder for the Smith novel :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the very bottom, there is a link to Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Disclaimer, Contact Us, and Forum Policy.
or
https://www.pricescope.com/content/forum-policies

I don't think someone berating women for wanting diamonds in their engagement ring is considered scientific banter :lol:
But he seems to be gone anyway. Probably couldn't handle the heat he asked for.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Blimey, it's tiny and right at the bottom! No wonder I didn't see it. Thanks!

4CSinquiries

Rough_Rock
it's not that i cannot handle the heat but i then again couldn't put my thoughts together on what i am aiming at... after all, i was just asking for the difference, it could have been answered properly. but here's what i've bumped at which speaks so much of what i have in mind if "i'm giving something, you better be damn thankful either if it's real or not..." after all it's a representation. but then again... i never said anything "about trick 'em and pass it as the real thing" rather "be thankful with whatever it is the person got you... i love diamonds, i have both real and synthetic and even that simulant just to get an idea of how it looks like... but to make an issue over not getting the real thing is plain darn superficial. ah yeah... there's this forum that i bumped into... wedding something... about women asking about getting either an asha(simulant) mined or synthetic and i think i like that place... people are more atuned with reality and more supportive over each other than having to compete with huge egos. this reminds me of men in this certain blog/forum owning hublots, piquet and all those luxury and looking down over other automatics simply because it doesn't rub their ego in a heartbeat. anyway... this guy says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGM4NtJaZE

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I know the forum you mean: they're also very clear on the fact that it needs to be something both partners agree on up front. So long as that's the case, I doubt anybody here takes issue with it, either!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4CSinquiries|1382756593|3544861 said:
it's not that i cannot handle the heat but i then again couldn't put my thoughts together on what i am aiming at... after all, i was just asking for the difference, it could have been answered properly. but here's what i've bumped at which speaks so much of what i have in mind if "i'm giving something, you better be damn thankful either if it's real or not..." after all it's a representation. but then again... i never said anything "about trick 'em and pass it as the real thing" rather "be thankful with whatever it is the person got you... i love diamonds, i have both real and synthetic and even that simulant just to get an idea of how it looks like... but to make an issue over not getting the real thing is plain darn superficial. ah yeah... there's this forum that i bumped into... wedding something... about women asking about getting either an asha(simulant) mined or synthetic and i think i like that place... people are more atuned with reality and more supportive over each other than having to compete with huge egos. this reminds me of men in this certain blog/forum owning hublots, piquet and all those luxury and looking down over other automatics simply because it doesn't rub their ego in a heartbeat. anyway... this guy says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGM4NtJaZE

So why did you come back?

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
I had something disconcerting happen to me recently....I went to a local jeweler to get the prongs tightened on my D vvs2 almost 2 carat pear....shelled out quite a bit for it. He (the owner not a sales clerk) takes my ring rattled it around, and stated "it's a CZ anyways", as if 1. I wouldn't need it tightened because it's a CZ vs a diamond. 2. Left me with a pit in my stomach because what's the point of buying a high quality diamond if people think it's fake! Anyways.....seems like people can't tell the difference.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith, it's funny about czs. I am also a fan of Wink's czs.
I have a pair of Wink's cz round studs (round I think either .50 or .75 equivalent carat weight). I actually got them to see if I would like that size for real earrings, and then got the real earrings, which were beautiful. However I became paranoid of losing one or both of the studs because I am bad that way and it detracted from my enjoyment. So, czs for earrings, costume I am fine.

However at this time I do not have a wedding/anniversary ring at this point (long story). I did buy a cz just to have something "nice" to wear and I do work in both an office and hospital environment where people do present. Many women I work with not only have their wedding set, but also a nice anniversary band on the other hand.

But I felt weird wearing it, like I was pretending to be someone I wasn't. I know it is totally in my head but couldn't do it. Basically I would rather wear my wedding band plain, or with one of my gemstone rings, as well as a two tone gold ring I have with a small diamond bezeled in it than a cz even in a nice setting.

As far as the 5 cz inquiries, taking away male and female, how would that person feel, if their significant other possibly for an important anniversary, event, etc, gave them a designer watch that that would be worth thousands of dollars, gave it as it was the real deal, and later found out it was fake? Or if your employer, after 20 years being with them, did the same? Would you still say, it's the thought that counts? Or would you feel you were lied to? ETA -This does not have anything to do with two people together wanting to be married, wanting to get a ring, and from there figuring out what to spend, what to get. Not about tricking someone, for whatever reason, for their affections or so they feel indebted to you whatever, not cool.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would need to stare impolitely.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell cheap CZ from a mile away but high quality one's probably not to be honest! :confused: Think it's usually more about CONTEXT ie. a young woman, whom I know isn't wealthy suddenly appearing with a 2-3ct "diamond" ring in a crappy setting.... :snooty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results