color
clarity

Detroit's stunning architectural ruins

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I drive by Michigan Central Station three times a week and it just breaks my heart. ;(

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just want to cry.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I grew up on the east side of Detroit in the late 50s and 60s and went to law school there at Wayne State in the 70s. It was a great city and I have wonderful memories. Kwame Kilpatrick and his crew raped the city, but I still believe it can come back. I live 2.5 hours north now but I still get down there because there is still great theater and restaurants and our kids are in the suburbs.

Thanks for posting this, Kenny!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link, Kenny. I grew up in Ann Arbor and have lovely memories of the beautiful Detroit architecture. It is such a shame so little has been preserved. I went home this summer and toured downtown with my amazing 90 yr old Grandfather. He used to live at the YMCA as a young man and it was a nice place back then. So sad to see it today.

_11211.jpg

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is heartbreaking.

The one of the book depository with rotting brand new books is particularly hard to see :blackeye: :nono: :((

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is truly tragic and, unfortunately, is not isolated to Detroit. I wish it did not cost so darn much to undertake historic renovation/revitalization. :(sad

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I've seen these pics before, and they are stunning. So sad that these beautiful works of art have been left to rot in this dark, dirty, near apocalyptic looking city.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is the kind of thing that just makes me mad!

To see beautiful buildings, a whole city, decay! :(

Meanwhile, all kinds of corporations are building shiny new plants, offices, and "campuses" all over the country. They could step in and revitalize the town, give people jobs, save history, but no. They'd rather build a new alter to themselves. :nono:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruin **** has been pretty popular for the last few years. Which is what they call those photos.

I am a Michigander and there is more to our state than these portrayals.

Though sad to me is how cheap the silver dome sold for !

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1382577062|3543324 said:
Ruin **** has been pretty popular for the last few years. Which is what they call those photos.

I am a Michigander and there is more to our state than these portrayals.

Though sad to me is how cheap the silver dome sold for !

Thats one way to look at it. Another way to see it is that for many reasons, structures of aesthetic, historic and architectural importance are being lost over time. Your comment sounded a bit dismissive, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way? It surely would be sad to lose such treasures as its generally recognized that such buildings play an enormous role in anchoring communities in revitalization efforts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results