shape
carat
color
clarity

Sad about my E-ring! Oval bow tie effect!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1381895326|3538565 said:
i don't know what solution ERD can offer, for now it sounds like there is nothing they can do as Mark thinks this is a "beautiful" stone. the only comfort comes from my poor hubby, he is literally poor, but nice person, he just told me he will try to save more money and hope to buy me another ring in five years.

It doesn't matter what Mark thinks about the stone. The return policy is not based on "what Mark thinks," but on whether or not YOU want to keep the stone. Apparently you are coming up on the thirty days so RETURN THE DAMN STONE since you don't like it. If for some reason you are out of the return period, let us know so we can suggest appropriate actions. I would say do the buyback and get your 65%. 8x6 is a standard oval size so you should be able to find SOMETHING to fit it. Even if you plop a CZ in there until you can save up a bit again and find an oval diamond you like. If you decide you don't like ovals, sell the setting too. Yes, it'll be at a loss, but a 40% loss is better than the 100% loss of not wearing the ring. Don't make your husband have wasted his money on this.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe you just don't like ovals? They might just not be for you. That happens sometimes. Return the stone and get a RB. Zero bow tie to get you down and you will still have a beautiful sparkly stone:). Probably more sparkly. Put in a simple solitaire setting and sell your old setting. Let the cost of the stone be your budget for the whole thing. I'm sure with the stats of the oval you will still have a good budget to buy a lovely round! BOOM!

Ps sorry if many have already said this. I didn't have time to run through all the posts.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
That oval looks great in the last picture. :) Sounds like it's nicely cut.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Your ring looks lovely.
You did say that you hadn't seem many ovals in real life....perhaps they just aren't for you and another shape would suit you better. If I were you I would return the diamond now, while you still can, put a fake in the setting for now and consider what to do with you ring when you are not rushed or under pressure. It is a big purchase and you should be happy.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Return the stone, keep the setting and go somewhere else.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a novel thought: are bowties really that bad? You liked your ring for a few weeks before you started focusing on the bowtie. What happened in those two weeks? There's a lot of poo-pooing of bowties and other such "defects" all over the internet and other sources, but for a lovely, overall well-cut stone like yours, why is having a bowtie the kiss of death? I actually like a little bowtie. In a stone where the facet pattern is otherwise composed of little glittery facets, it gives your eye something to grab onto and often flashes some really bold, beautiful colors.

Just my two cents on bowties, but if you don't love it, send it back. :))

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Lilly2013|1381895326|3538565 said:
Thank you very much for the long post. I am not sure if the bow tie on my ring is greyish shape, it can look dark in some like but not black dark like ink black, I am now confused by what is "dark" as far as diamond is concerned. i really appreciate writing the long post to help me. the setting is not returnable, and the craftsman is good to my naked eyes, i am just bothered by the bow tie, all the research i did online and here conclude that bow tie is bad and affect the stone negatively. And mine has a big bow tie as shown in the pics. I change light, angles, it is always there. i don't know what solution ERD can offer, for now it sounds like there is nothing they can do as Mark thinks this is a "beautiful" stone. the only comfort comes from my poor hubby, he is literally poor, but nice person, he just told me he will try to save more money and hope to buy me another ring in five years.

Is this whole comment serious?????? It seems that anytime someone here recommends you go back to ERD to get this issue taken care of (which they WILL DO because they're AWESOME and love their customers), you refuse then you keep complaining about it. And your last sentence.....SERIOUSLY?!? If you guys are so dirt poor then how in the world do you have something like this? Normally I wouldn't say something like this but you seem impossible then you tell us you guys are poor.....it all sounds like BS to me.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I am not why you are so mean! How do you know that i didi not asked ERD??? I have been asking them for a replacement but they don't think it is possible. i never said i won't go back to ERD for solution, you seem like you are very defending them, like you were in the conversation, were you?? i appreciate nice people here who kindly offered help and advises, but not bullies like you!! Please get out of my post!! I am poor and saved for my ring, i worked hard for the money, it is a small stone, and comparing to the usual 2,3 and bigger stones often seeing here, mine is tiny, even it is small, i have to work years to save for it, and i don't want my money to be wasted over nothing! Anyway, i don't like bullies like you, please just leave me alone, i did not ask for your advice!

Is this whole comment serious?????? It seems that anytime someone here recommends you go back to ERD to get this issue taken care of (which they WILL DO because they're AWESOME and love their customers), you refuse then you keep complaining about it. And your last sentence.....SERIOUSLY?!? If you guys are so dirt poor then how in the world do you have something like this? Normally I wouldn't say something like this but you seem impossible then you tell us you guys are poor.....it all sounds like BS to me.[/quote]

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
I don't know why you are so mean! How do you know that i didi not asked ERD??? I have been asking them for a replacement but they don't think it is possible. i never said i won't go back to ERD for solution, you seem like you are very defending them, like you were in the conversation, were you?? i appreciate nice people here who kindly offered help and advises, but not bullies like you!! Please get out of my post!! I am poor and saved for my ring, i worked hard for the money, it is a small stone, and comparing to the usual 2,3 and bigger stones often seeing here, mine is tiny, even it is small, i have to work years to save for it, and i don't want my money to be wasted over nothing! Anyway, i don't like bullies like you, please just leave me alone, i did not ask for your advice!

Is this whole comment serious?????? It seems that anytime someone here recommends you go back to ERD to get this issue taken care of (which they WILL DO because they're AWESOME and love their customers), you refuse then you keep complaining about it. And your last sentence.....SERIOUSLY?!? If you guys are so dirt poor then how in the world do you have something like this? Normally I wouldn't say something like this but you seem impossible then you tell us you guys are poor.....it all sounds like BS to me.[/quote]

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly, I'm going to say this as gently as I can (so please take it in that spirit): You're running out to time here. You either need to tell ERD you're returning this ring NOW or you need to find a way to live with it. Having it sit in your jewelry box and both you and your SO feeling bad about this for years and years to come, well, that's just silly when you have options. Gary has given you advice on what to look for in terms of cut. There either are other stones available, or that will become available, in a size that fits your halo. ERD can't help you if you won't help yourself. You have a return option. Use it.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I don't know why people keep saying i am not considering return it, i am talking with EDR since yesterday, Mark is not return my emails or calls today, I am at work and will try again. i had some hesitation only because the setting is not returnable and Mark doesn't think he can find a replacement. i am indeed in negotiation with ERD to find the solution since yesterday.

Dee*Jay|1381956230|3538991 said:
Lilly, I'm going to say this as gently as I can (so please take it in that spirit): You're running out to time here. You either need to tell ERD you're returning this ring NOW or you need to find a way to live with it. Having it sit in your jewelry box and both you and your SO feeling bad about this for years and years to come, well, that's just silly when you have options. Gary has given you advice on what to look for in terms of cut. There either are other stones available, or that will become available, in a size that fits your halo. ERD can't help you if you won't help yourself. You have a return option. Use it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what people are trying to tell you is that you need to inform ERD that you are definitely returning the stone - whether he has a replacement for it or not. Get your money back for the stone. If he finds one, you can purchase it from him. If not, you can take your money and buy one from another vendor. It might be that you'd have to wait for another stone in that size to come into inventory, but it would be better to do that than to end up keeping a stone you don't love.

Everyone here wants everyone to be happy with their ring. This is not always possible but in this instance, you still have the window of return so you don't have to keep this stone. Just make sure that Mark knows that no matter what, you are returning the stone and find out how you should proceed. Either you have the stone removed on your end or you send back the entire ring for him to remove the stone. Good luck with the search - I'm sure you will end up being successful!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilly2013|1381957116|3539008 said:
Thanks! I don't know why people keep saying i am not considering return it, i am talking with EDR since yesterday, Mark is not return my emails or calls today, I am at work and will try again. i had some hesitation only because the setting is not returnable and Mark doesn't think he can find a replacement. i am indeed in negotiation with ERD to find the solution since yesterday.

Dee*Jay|1381956230|3538991 said:

That's great progress! And given what Gary said earlier about the almost 200 stones available, with Mark potentially having access to about half of them, hopefully you will be able to get a replacement stone through ERD that you love.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
The only important thing at the moment is that you don't like the stone. Please put it in the mail and send it back TODAY :errrr:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Iterating what people having been saying for three pages... tell Mark you're shipping the stone back and request a label. If you send the email NOW you're within your return period, end of story. Whether or not the stone actually is imperfect or 'objectively' less beautiful (in quotes because objectivity is a lofty goal) is entirely beside the point - YOU don't like it, that's all that matters. I imagine if nothing else it's a mind-clean thing now.

2. Stop asserting that you're "poor". No-one with enough disposable income to buy a diamond of any sort is "poor" - and to claim as much is appallingly distasteful. I promise, if you actually think you're poor, you haven't seen real poverty.

3. Once you've shipped your stone back to ERD sit back, breathe, and prepare to wait a few weeks to find the right stone. It IS out there... if you're willing to search for it.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1381976528|3539229 said:
2. Stop asserting that you're "poor". No-one with enough disposable income to buy a diamond of any sort is "poor" - and to claim as much is appallingly distasteful. I promise, if you actually think you're poor, you haven't seen real poverty
100% agree. I'm sure your husband to be would be heartbroken if he thought you thought your ring was a poor mans choice. You have a beautiful ring, with an expensive diamond in a setting from an exclusive jeweller. That is NOT poor. Now I get you are not happy with the bow tie but complaining you are poor all the time is just bad taste.

Rebecca0388

Rough_Rock
Patience is a virtue guys. For someone who has obviously saved for a long time and is a first time buyer it may be daunting to just pull that ring apart and send the stone back which is common place around here. It's an emotional purchase.

There is a language barrier here and, by Lilly saying she's poor might mean this is not a purchase she made without putting a lot of thought, time and all of her savings into. Not necessarily in the context some people know it to be.

I think how some people have replied on this thread is in bad taste but hey that's just me.

Your ring looks lovely and is by no means small, I'm sorry you aren't happy with it. You have some great people helping you out here.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rebecca0388|1382018514|3539447 said:
Patience is a virtue guys. For someone who has obviously saved for a long time and is a first time buyer it may be daunting to just pull that ring apart and send the stone back which is common place around here. It's an emotional purchase.

There is a language barrier here and, by Lilly saying she's poor might mean this is not a purchase she made without putting a lot of thought, time and all of her savings into. Not necessarily in the context some people know it to be.

I think how some people have replied on this thread is in bad taste but hey that's just me.

Your ring looks lovely and is by no means small, I'm sorry you aren't happy with it. You have some great people helping you out here.

Well said Rebecca, I agree with your post.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Rebecca, for being kind and supportive. That is exactly what I mean. Again, I appreciate all the nice people who tried to help me with very usful informaiton and advices. On the other side, I just try to ignore the bullies who obviously did not understand how a first time buyer, who saved for a long timer and put a lot of thoughts and efforts into get the possibly only ring and fine jewelry she will ever have feels about it. I was tring to find a solution with ERD in a mutally respectful way, While, I won't update this post anymore, I am positng this last post to thank you for really trying to be in my shoe and feel what I felt. Thank you very much for that!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patience isn't a virtue when it could result in OP taking a 35% hit on the amount of money she'll be able to receive back for her diamond. I'd rather her feel disgruntled at me, get ALL her money back, and find the perfect diamond that she will love and be happy with, than take her time to think about it, lose the chance for a full refund, and either get stuck with a ring she doesn't like or a bigger financial loss on it. You will notice that whenever a situation comes up like this and a poster seems recalcitrant, there are people who jump in the fray hoping being contentious will shock her into action. As well, OP, this happens when you don't give us full information, like that you had already contacted ERD about returning it. Without full information, of course our replies won't address whatever the actual issue is.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely hope that you returned the stone. Either leave it with them and ask they find another for you regardless of how long it takes, or get a refund for the centre diamond and get the setting back and we will all help you find a nice centre stone that fits with a minimal bow tie.

That fact that you did save so long and hard to get it means that you should be 100% happy with it. Don't settle now, don't wait 5 years to buy something else because you don't like it. It's great you are talking to them, but you need to return this stone within the return period now so that you aren't stuck with it. I know it seems daunting, but that is going to be the best solution.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lesson learned: the center stone even if it is a diamond and not a "mere" color stone is still more important than the setting.

and I don't think it is that bad....but then its not my ring and not on my finger.

did you see pictures of the center diamond prior to purchase?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people here have worked and saved too for that special ring or upgrade. We understand the disappointment and the prospect of losing hard earned dollars. However, the purpose of this forum is to help, educate and assist others. I'm not sure what you were looking for if not for advice or guidance on how to rectify your situation. We are sorry that the stone is not to your liking but after having said that, there is nothing else to do but help you find solutions. No one is trying to hurt or bully you but your options of keeping the ring in a drawer or waiting another five years for another ring is not really reasonable or realistic. The beauty of your situation is that you do have an option - unlike countless others who were stuck with no way out.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a stone that you love. If ERD cannot find a replacement, then I hope you get your money back. There are many helpful people here with a wealth of knowledge to help you find that stone if ERD cannot work out something for you. The next step is up to you!

Rebecca0388

Rough_Rock
distracts|1382052456|3539756 said:
Patience isn't a virtue when it could result in OP taking a 35% hit on the amount of money she'll be able to receive back for her diamond. I'd rather her feel disgruntled at me, get ALL her money back, and find the perfect diamond that she will love and be happy with, than take her time to think about it, lose the chance for a full refund, and either get stuck with a ring she doesn't like or a bigger financial loss on it. You will notice that whenever a situation comes up like this and a poster seems recalcitrant, there are people who jump in the fray hoping being contentious will shock her into action. As well, OP, this happens when you don't give us full information, like that you had already contacted ERD about returning it. Without full information, of course our replies won't address whatever the actual issue is.

Completely agree with what your saying and the advice given. What I meant was sometimes patience is needed when there is an obvious miscommunication issue. Especially when the OP is visibly upset about what someone has said that has nothing to do with a solution to her problem.

I don't know it just doesn't sit right with me, just my opinion.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

So true. I tried to do a reset of my ering after having been married over 10 years. It was a train wreck. It was really upsetting to me to lose the money I had saved up and all the time and emotion I had taken to do a reset. If I had been aggressive and returned it immediately, I would have been okay, but the vendor kept on saying it would be okay, and then after the return period, they refused to even alter the design even if I paid for the alteration!!!

I'm not a noob anymore, so things are different now. Rebecca is right, we were all once new and less comfortable with purchasing jewelry.

Lilly, I hope you get the ring that you want. This is a very emotional purchase. We are rooting for you!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Well, Lilly2013, sorry your feelings were hurt by some posters on this thread but I think you owe it to everyone here who tried to help you brainstorm a solution to your dilemma a final post on what you decided. I agree that if you hate the stone so much that you won't even wear the ring the obvious solution is to send it back and wait for another stone. Cut is KING and a lower color and clarity will still be a lovely stone with a cut that has no bow tie effect.

Also if you returned it then start another thread and the "expert" diamond seekers on PS will help you try and locate a better stone in your budget which is common for newbies who come on to PS looking for help to search out the best stone on the market that is within their budget. Newbies think a high color and clarity make the best diamond but that is just not true.

ERD is an highly respected vendor on PS and so you respected their judgment on this stone but as you have found your requirements were more strict than theirs.

Please post what you decided out of respect for others. All the best.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lilly2013:

I too, have been awaiting to see your final outcome. While, I would like to preface this post with that I have nothing but complete empathy for your situation and hopeful wishes that you receive your desired stone, I feel compelled to write to you. In all fairness, you have disclosed the name of the person you worked with (ERD) and your dismay. You have given some the impression that they are not completely willing to work things out with you to find a resolution..... Perhaps this is not accurate. I think it is important that you share the outcome, if not for anything else, but for the integrity of the story and the vendor, ERD. I would like to know if you feel that they did right by you. I personally think it is important if you do choose to mention a vendor, by name, then you should follow through on the whole story beginning to end. THis is not out of nosiness but for all the potential ERD customers out here reading your post. Again, I hope you were able to find a resolution and I sincerely wish you the best.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeraldcutlover|1382554744|3543053 said:
Hi Lilly2013:

I too, have been awaiting to see your final outcome. While, I would like to preface this post with that I have nothing but complete empathy for your situation and hopeful wishes that you receive your desired stone, I feel compelled to write to you. In all fairness, you have disclosed the name of the person you worked with (ERD) and your dismay. You have given some the impression that they are not completely willing to work things out with you to find a resolution..... Perhaps this is not accurate. I think it is important that you share the outcome, if not for anything else, but for the integrity of the story and the vendor, ERD. I would like to know if you feel that they did right by you. I personally think it is important if you do choose to mention a vendor, by name, then you should follow through on the whole story beginning to end. THis is not out of nosiness but for all the potential ERD customers out here reading your post. Again, I hope you were able to find a resolution and I sincerely wish you the best.

Well said. And very nicely said at that. :))

Nymphettamine

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I don't have any advices but I write from simphaty. I have also placed an order online for my stone and setting at another vendor. Seeing your post made me worry so much now. :snore: I hope you can replace your stone with one that does not have a bow tie.

Lilly2013

Rough_Rock
To Emeraldcutlover: I did not update because I was very upset about the ring, the first and only ring i have. I asked Mark on the phone before i committed to the stone if he would purchase it for his daughter or sister, and he said yes. I guess we have different opinions about what is a good stone. i am not trying to blame anyone or give anyone wrong impression about the vendor, i am simply telling the facts. I did not return the ring because the option was offered to me was that only the stone is returnable, and at the time i don't have money or time to take a loss of 35%. I ended up keeping the ring. I still hate the stone, the setting is nice。i compared the stone with similar size stones at costco, side by side, a stone that is H color VVS2 is much much more sparkling than mine, my stone looks so dull and barley have sparkles next to the costco stone. I was so sad, and regretted to purchase a stone without seeing it in person. Then my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, i spent my savings to help her, and had no money for another stone or ring. I lost mother this year, which made everything else meaningless, although i am still upset about the ring and the fact that the stone was a bad choice, i don't care anymore. Everyone is entitled to her or his opinion, i am not saying anything bad or untrue about the vender, i am merely saying the fact that i received a stone in my opinion is not good at all, i also have to state that the GIA certificate does say this stone is vvs2 E color,no flourance, it is good on paper, just not to naked eyes. This was the single largest purchase of my life and supposed to be the happiest one, but ironically, it was a failure. While, like anyone is going to care.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results