shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk bad manners....

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We were just in Vegas and saw The Beatles Love. It is an amazing Cirque show...amazing, and expensive. We had second row seats. About 10 minutes after it started, a group of eight or so girls (early 20s) walked in and set in the second row in the next section. Half of them immediately got out their cell phones and started texting. Why spend $100 on a show ticket if you are just going to be on your phone the whole time?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more:

- people on their cell phones when checking out at the register

- a pt who calls a business and the conversation goes like this:
"Hello, thanks for calling MSOP's pharmacy. How can I help you?"
"....ummm, I'm getting another call, can you hold on a minute?"
"Sure." <hangs up phone> :nono:

- people in public places who insist on have loud conversations (hello?! Contrary to what you think, you're conversation just doens't interest everyone here...)

- someone who calls me and asks who I am... I mean, you called me, so who the hell are you? :rolleyes: :|

- ...and this is a gross one: WOMEN who leave the restroom with urine on the seat -- how does this even happen??? ...and why don't they clean it up??? UGH!! :knockout: (even though I have to cover the seat with half a roll of TP, it's the thought and visual that irks me)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1382052974|3539760 said:
I do not put up with that type of behavior. If someone is late rarely OK I understand that. But for someone who is chronically late that's a real problem for me and I no longer make dates to get together with people like this. It shows a lack of respect for other people's time IMO. They are the center of the universe and their time is more critical than anyone else's. No thank you.

I won't put up with the chronically late, either. It's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves that stems back to my childhood when my mom would always be late. I'd be the kid who sat there one hour after everyone else's parents had picked them up from sports or an event. I have concluded it was a passive aggressive attempt to point out that she'd rather being doing something else than pick me up because she made sure I had my license & a car as soon as I turned 16 so she didn't have to be responsible anymore (she literally disappeared after that and I raised myself from age 16-18, then moved out a month after graduating). In my early 20s, she was ***EIGHT*** hours late to meet up with me. I sat in my apartment and waited for her and when she finally showed up with the most ridiculous excuse (she was helping someone with a flat tire), and I FINALLY stood up to her and said she should have called me. She turned and stormed out of there and didn't talk to me for a month. After that our relationship went down hill...

The positive that came of my mom's lateness is that I'm always on time to get my kids because I'd never want to put them through that, either.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1382112424|3540106 said:
I won't put up with the chronically late, either. It's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves that stems back to my childhood when my mom would always be late. I'd be the kid who sat there one hour after everyone else's parents had picked them up from sports or an event. I have concluded it was a passive aggressive attempt to point out that she'd rather being doing something else than pick me up because she made sure I had my license & a car as soon as I turned 16 so she didn't have to be responsible anymore (she literally disappeared after that and I raised myself from age 16-18, then moved out a month after graduating). In my early 20s, she was ***EIGHT*** hours late to meet up with me. I sat in my apartment and waited for her and when she finally showed up with the most ridiculous excuse (she was helping someone with a flat tire), and I FINALLY stood up to her and said she should have called me. She turned and stormed out of there and didn't talk to me for a month. After that our relationship went down hill...

The positive that came of my mom's lateness is that I'm always on time to get my kids because I'd never want to put them through that, either.

I'm sorry that happened to you, MC. ::) ...but I'm glad you could turn it into a positive in your own life! :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1382120556|3540164 said:
MC|1382112424|3540106 said:

I'm sorry that happened to you, MC. ::) ...but I'm glad you could turn it into a positive in your own life! :))

Oh, thanks :)) The time in my 20s was a wake-up call...I didn't know the term "toxic relationships," but somehow figured out that people who don't want to be treated like crap by the same people over and over can have the power to stop being treated like crap by ending the relationship.

I did the same with my aunt (who is only four yrs older than me) who ALWAYS cancelled at the last minute and one day it made the most sense to quit making plans with her. After years went by, she wanted to meet up and I decided to test the waters and guess what? She backed out! Some people are seriously BUTTS!!!

So, a lot of us have pet peeves about random things - such as people not holding the door open for us, etc...things we cannot change, but if it's something that really upsets us and it involves repeated rudeness by the same person (people), WE have to change. The best is to not put energy in those relationships, IMO. That frees up time to dedicate to those who do keep plans and show respect...those are the people I respect ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1382121984|3540173 said:
So, a lot of us have pet peeves about random things - such as people not holding the door open for us, etc...things we cannot change, but if it's something that really upsets us and it involves repeated rudeness by the same person (people), WE have to change. The best is to not put energy in those relationships, IMO. That frees up time to dedicate to those who do keep plans and show respect...those are the people I respect ;))

MC, you are so right! I b*tched about said friend for years, but I kept on allowing her to repeat the same actions over and over, but expecting different results. If it weren't for my DH being firm, I may still. be. waiting.... ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^ I'm kind of a wuss like that...^^ :oops: ::)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
msop04|1382110367|3540088 said:
A few more:

- people on their cell phones when checking out at the register

- a pt who calls a business and the conversation goes like this:
"Hello, thanks for calling MSOP's pharmacy. How can I help you?"
"....ummm, I'm getting another call, can you hold on a minute?"
"Sure." <hangs up phone> :nono:

- people in public places who insist on have loud conversations (hello?! Contrary to what you think, you're conversation just doens't interest everyone here...)

- someone who calls me and asks who I am... I mean, you called me, so who the hell are you? :rolleyes: :|

- ...and this is a gross one: WOMEN who leave the restroom with urine on the seat -- how does this even happen??? ...and why don't they clean it up??? UGH!! :knockout: (even though I have to cover the seat with half a roll of TP, it's the thought and visual that irks me)

They "hover" but they're not very good at it. Which ... look, I see how it becomes a vicious circle.

The lady before you left some pee on the seat, and you didn't want to wipe it up, so you hovered, and left MORE pee on the seat, etc., etc. (I have seen women exit the stall, hold their hands up in the air in the universal "Don't shoot!" gesture and say, defenisively, "It was like that when I walked in!"). The part I don't get is, a) why not just put the seat up like we ask the half the species that pees standing up to do, and, b) why, having peed on said seat yourself, you don't feel like you need to clean it up.

P.S. - I have been watching a LOT of Tinkerbell lately (I have a toddler, don't judge), but I actually cracked up when a fairy with a bad case of OCD, when forced to sit on a frog (... don't ask) said, "It's okay, I'll just hover." Which, fairy, wings, literally, get it? :lol:

Took me three or four watchings. Because I'm slow like that. :tongue:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1382130020|3540277 said:
They "hover" but they're not very good at it. Which ... look, I see how it becomes a vicious circle.

The lady before you left some pee on the seat, and you didn't want to wipe it up, so you hovered, and left MORE pee on the seat, etc., etc. (I have seen women exit the stall, hold their hands up in the air in the universal "Don't shoot!" gesture and say, defenisively, "It was like that when I walked in!"). The part I don't get is, a) why not just put the seat up like we ask the half the species that pees standing up to do, and, b) why, having peed on said seat yourself, you don't feel like you need to clean it up.
P.S. - I have been watching a LOT of Tinkerbell lately (I have a toddler, don't judge), but I actually cracked up when a fairy with a bad case of OCD, when forced to sit on a frog (... don't ask) said, "It's okay, I'll just hover." Which, fairy, wings, literally, get it? :lol:

LOL that's hilarious, Circe! I don't recall leaving any myself, but if I did, I'd certainly clean it up. I have witnessed the whole "it wasn't me" gesture in the restroom, but not for pee on the seat... but that's a whole other gross-out story. :-o :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
msop04|1382131691|3540294 said:
Circe|1382130020|3540277 said:

LOL that's hilarious, Circe! I don't recall leaving any myself, but if I did, I'd certainly clean it up. I have witnessed the whole "it wasn't me" gesture in the restroom, but not for pee on the seat... but that's a whole other gross-out story. :-o :lol:

Oh, definitely the plural "you" ... I have the sneaking suspicion that the things we call out are the ones we would neverevereverever do ourselves.

I hesitate to ask, but ... what was it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting a British fart video is bad manners.

Off with his head!

screen_shot_2013-10-18_at_5.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Consistent bad breadth from lack of oral hygiene. I know some people have bad breadth from other causes, but sometimes people just don't brush their teeth and tongue.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1382137430|3540345 said:
I have witnessed the whole "it wasn't me" gesture in the restroom, but not for pee on the seat... but that's a whole other gross-out story. :-o :lol:

Oh, definitely the plural "you" ... I have the sneaking suspicion that the things we call out are the ones we would neverevereverever do ourselves.

I hesitate to ask, but ... what was it?[/quote]

Definitely plural "you" on that one! LOL

Oh my... well, to be blunt, someone had dropped the bomb of all deuces and the smell lingered. Bad. :errrr: :knockout: :???:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1382154039|3540485 said:
Consistent bad breadth from lack of oral hygiene. I know some people have bad breadth from other causes, but sometimes people just don't brush their teeth and tongue.

Bad breath is a killer, but regardless of cause, you can always chew gum and use breath mints... or at least try to as much as humanly possible. I've found the problem with bad breath is that the person isn't aware because "friends" won't tell them to risk hurting feelings. If it were me, I'd want to be told. A few seconds of embarrassment is better than a lifetime grossing out others. I'd rather my friends tell me than to hear through the grapevine that I was the one with the horrid breath. :knockout:

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
People who spit in public. It's disgusting. Also those who will make that disgusting noise in their throat before they hock one up. yuuuuck. Even worse when they are spitting is when they do it right in front of where you are walking. What? you cant use a tissue or at the very least if you dont have one turn your head to the left and spit into the gutter? no, turning to the right so its right where i'm going to be walking in a few steps is so much better. ferals!!!

I also hate those people who are constantly late. I dont understand how difficult it is for people to just give themselves an extra 10 minutes to get where they need to go. I teach adult classes and it would never ever occur to me to just breeze in 20 minutes late to a class with no apology and expect to have the whole class halt while they get caught up, but a lot of people do. They dont get what they want however, they get told to take a seat and they can catch up during the break.

Not holding doors open. Those who don't let you in when changing lanes in traffic. People who try to cut in line at the supermarket.

Parents who completely switch off and let their child run amok. Yes I know children arent robots, and I certainly feel bad for parents when I see them struggling with their 2 yr old chucking the mother of all tantys in the supermarket. What I object to is the many parents I see who just pretend they cant hear or see their kids running around screaming like banshees and trashing the place. Just because you're busy chatting to your friends and drinking your latte it doesnt mean you stop being a parent to that small person over there who is running around screaming and disturbing other patrons. Its inconsiderate - to other customers and to staff and its dangerous as well. That 80 yr old lady on the walking frame doesnt need your brat slamming into her and causing her to fall and break a hip. That waitress carrying a tray of coffees doesnt need him/her slamming into her and spilling the hot coffee over herself, your kid, and the poor person sitting at that table and the owner of the restaurant doesnt need the lawsuit that occurs because of that incident. Parents, your job is to PARENT your child. That includes paying attention to where your child is and what they're doing while you're out in public, disciplining them when necessary, and teaching them manners as early as you can.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingyjules|1382448227|3542217 said:
People who spit in public. It's disgusting. Also those who will make that disgusting noise in their throat before they hock one up. yuuuuck. Even worse when they are spitting is when they do it right in front of where you are walking.

Oh my gosh, yes, this! I was thinking about this thread and not really coming up with anything...how could I have forgotten that I absolutely hate when someone does this?!?

It reminded me of something else that really bothers me - littering - always been a pet peeve of mine, I'll never understand why someone just can't wait to get to a trashcan.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
blingyjules said:
Parents who completely switch off and let their child run amok. Yes I know children arent robots, and I certainly feel bad for parents when I see them struggling with their 2 yr old chucking the mother of all tantys in the supermarket. What I object to is the many parents I see who just pretend they cant hear or see their kids running around screaming like banshees and trashing the place. Just because you're busy chatting to your friends and drinking your latte it doesnt mean you stop being a parent to that small person over there who is running around screaming and disturbing other patrons. Its inconsiderate - to other customers and to staff and its dangerous as well. That 80 yr old lady on the walking frame doesnt need your brat slamming into her and causing her to fall and break a hip. That waitress carrying a tray of coffees doesnt need him/her slamming into her and spilling the hot coffee over herself, your kid, and the poor person sitting at that table and the owner of the restaurant doesnt need the lawsuit that occurs because of that incident. Parents, your job is to PARENT your child. That includes paying attention to where your child is and what they're doing while you're out in public, disciplining them when necessary, and teaching them manners as early as you can.

Yes to all of your response but especially this! Can these people not hear their children? Other people do not find these little terrors charming or cute. And yes, I have two boys. Full-tilt, all-boy boys. I know parenting isn't easy but it also isn't optional. Children are capable of behaving well but tend not to do so voluntarily. They must be taught and expectations must be clear.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1382461951|3542370 said:
People who spit in public. It's disgusting. Also those who will make that disgusting noise in their throat before they hock one up. yuuuuck. Even worse when they are spitting is when they do it right in front of where you are walking.

Oh my gosh, yes, this! I was thinking about this thread and not really coming up with anything...how could I have forgotten that I absolutely hate when someone does this?!?
This one just did it for me.

Spitting is absolutely the most disgusting thing a person can do in public. Do they not realize they are expelling bodily fluids onto public property?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1382473305|3542488 said:
junebug17|1382461951|3542370 said:

This one just did it for me.

Spitting is absolutely the most disgusting thing a person can do in public. Do they not realize they are expelling bodily fluids onto public property?

This is so disgusting and hazardous! Why do people spit in public?? :knockout: :nono:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's why I don't wear outside shoes into the house, and I get grossed out when other people wear their shoes into my house. People spit and leave all sorts of fluids on sidewalks. When we walk, it ends up on the bottom of our shoes. Dry or not, it's there. I don't want it on my floor! So gross.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1382479135|3542538 said:
That's why I don't wear outside shoes into the house, and I get grossed out when other people wear their shoes into my house. People spit and leave all sorts of fluids on sidewalks. When we walk, it ends up on the bottom of our shoes. Dry or not, it's there. I don't want it on my floor! So gross.

I totally agree Fortekitty. It is so gross :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: and that is the one thing I just cannot convince my dh about. He thinks it is rude to ask people to remove their shoes in our home whereas I think it is worth the risk of being rude. Especially if you warn guests ahead of time.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
My mild manned DH gets twisted when people refuse to put their shopping cart into that corral they have specifically for that purpose.you know just leave it in the parking lot, in any old place so it can roll off and smash a car? He has been known to call out across several parking spots to an offender..."hello, the cart corral is right here" with a grand gesture pointing to said cart spot.

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
missy|1382481668|3542561 said:
ForteKitty|1382479135|3542538 said:

I totally agree Fortekitty. It is so gross :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: and that is the one thing I just cannot convince my dh about. He thinks it is rude to ask people to remove their shoes in our home whereas I think it is worth the risk of being rude. Especially if you warn guests ahead of time.

This is something that I always wonder about whenever I go to anyone's house. I was raised that it was good manners to remove your shoes and we never wear our own shoes around the house but I know some people who want you to remove your shoes at their place and others who always wear shoes indoors themselves and seem to get grossed out by the idea of barefeet (do they think everyone has athletes foot? I dont know). I suppose if you always ask when you arrive it avoids offending anyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results