shape
carat
color
clarity

Still waiting but he has the ring...

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
The ring was delivered to my BF this past Tuesday. We're a long distance couple so I have a feeling the engagement will happen when I next visit him in October. He accidentally posted these photos to the DropBox account that we share so I got a sneak peak of the ring. He doesn't know I've seen them so I'm still going to have to act surprised when I see it in person... however I'm pretty sure I won't be able to control my emotions when he finally proposes so we'll see how that goes :) Hope everyone enjoys the pictures. I will surely post more after the ring is on my hand.

Here are some specs for those interested--

Center stone is a 1.72 carat cushion cut (dimensions are 7.69x6.49x4.5), G color, SI1 clarity
Halo is comprised of 78 round brilliant stones weighing a total of .85 carats
Total carat weight 2.57 carats
Platinum setting

The ring was custom designed at R&R Jewelers in NYC

img_1444_1.jpg j2oknev1t0hcofb4vsrjzzkphxh4jx1fpo_7lyvorhc_0.jpg

I would also to love to hear anyone's idea for possible wedding bands. Not sure how I feel about wearing an additional band because of the split shank. I have pretty short fingers so I don't want a third band to add too much bulk. What does everyone think?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ring gorgous. REgarding wedding band "This is why we have two hands" I wear myh 5 carat eternity band on my left hand and my engagment ring 3.66 carat emerald on my right with a pink gold and diamond stack ring

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response! I will have to investigate my options for an eternity band that stands alone. I know that I will not be wearing my ring while at work anyway so I would like to have something to wear on it's own to show people I'm a taken woman. I still have a while yet to think about the wedding band but its never too early to start planning, right?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a gorgeous ring! I'm thinking it doesn't really need a band, and a band might not fit quite right alongside it - but I like your idea of getting a band for those times you can't wear your ering...and then in your off-time you can wear the ering on your left and the band on your right.

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
thanks junebug! I definitely like the idea of getting a stand alone band of some sort that I can wear when I don't want to wear my e-ring. Since I'll be working on people all day (physical therapy) I don't think it's right to wear my ring to work as it can definitely get "gooped up" with the massage lotions and such that we use. Not to mention my patients probably wouldn't find it comfortable if my ring scratched them or something.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt that you're going to have to act surprised. We were a long distance couple and picked out the ring together and it was still a surprise. Unless he's actually posted exactly what he plans to do ;-)

I vote for an eternity ring with the diamonds set in the same way as they are on your engagement ring.

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
I have a general idea of what he is planning (I think), but I'm sure I'll still be surprised.

He designs amusement park attractions (i.e. for Disney, Universal, etc.) and he has planned a whole day at Disney with his friends and coworkers for us. I'm fairly certain it'll happen sometime during that outing as it's a place very special to us and he's always talked about how neat it would be to do an engagement at the park. We'll see though!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! That would be really cute to have the proposal at a place that is so special to him. As long as you are happy with being proposed to in public too, then I am all for it! Did you want me to add you to the waiting list for your short wait?

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
I would be honored, Pandabee! I'm sorry I didn't discover this forum earlier. I've been lurking on PS for a good 6 months now but just hadn't joined until now :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Of course dear, no problem! Glad to have you here :)

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
oh my gosh! i love it!!! makes me wish I had 2 engagement rings... it is sooo gorgeous!!! Please post a hundred pics when you have it on your finger! And an early congrats. :bigsmile:

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
thanks maple! I definitely will post a ton of pictures after the engagement, so sorry in advance for the overload.

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
So the more I've been reading on PS the more I get the impression that cushion modified brilliants ("crushed iced") diamonds are kind of looked down upon. Additionally, the more photos I've seen the more I realize I love the vintage cut "chunky" cushions. I wish I had known more about the different types of cushion cut diamonds before the boy and I looked at rings so I could steer him in the direction of the older cuts.

Does anyone have any opinions on the subject?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't say they are looked down upon...I know some people don't prefer them but I don't think people would put them down if someone had one and truly loved it ya know what I mean? The thing is that there is such an emphasis placed on cut quality, that the "crushed ice" or "glittering sparkles" style of cushion cut is designed only to maximize little pinpoint sparkles, and not an organized pattern (which can be easier on the eyes and also I have reasoned that the scientific, calculating types that are so good at recognizing good designs prefer order). In addition, "crushed ice" tends to be best to showcase colored diamonds as this particular cut tends to show more color.

As far as our opinions on what to do, are you meaning as far as your stone since your BF has already purchased it? If it is something that you think you can bring up with him and it is within the return time period, see if he is open to looking for a new stone. Otherwise, I would wait until he proposes and maybe you will end up loving it regardless, once you see it on your finger! Then, if you still have the old cut bug, maybe you could change it out at a later anniversary, or get a right hand ring with an old cut cushion :))

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Panda. BF is an engineer and very much into detail so I'm fairly certain he picked out a great stone. I know the jeweler presented him many stones and he was able to see them all in person and he went with what he thought was best. He was fairly limited in his selection because I wanted more of an elongated cushion rather than a square one. Going into this whole process he knew way more about diamonds than I ever did and is the reason I started doing all the research on different cuts and such. I can't bring it up with him because he actually doesn't know that I've seen the ring or the GIA certificate. I'm not sure about our jeweler's return policy... and since he purchased the ring in August I bet we'd be nearing the end of any possible return window anyway.

I guess I'm just worried about how much fire and brilliance it will have given that the stone is a modified brilliant. However, I probably shouldn't worry that I won't love the stone, because in the end whatever he picked I will love because its more about the two of us than about any material possession. I know every cushion is different and I won't really know how it "performs" until I see it on my finger... which should probably be happening in a matter of a week or so!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ewozobski, I hope you don't mind an older woman chiming in, but try not to let what you have read on PS bother you too much, or dampen your excitement on receiving your ring. PS repesents a small faction of the diamond world, many of which are very passionate about diamonds, and you will read varying opinions on just about everything here, from clarity to color to setting styles to cut quality to diamond shape etc. Just recently there was a thread about K colored diamonds...some people saying they couldn't go that low, others saying they are very happy with that color. I know there are members who would not care for my old cut - I'm sure the cut isn't up to some people's standards (which is fine, I totally get that!), maybe a little too much leakage, shows too much color...but I think it's beautiful and love wearing it, and that's really all that matters. I recently reset into a halo, which some people also don't care for...in which case we're both in trouble! :lol: But again, I love the look so I don't worry about it!

You haven't even seen the ring in person yet, so try not to second guess until you see it at least! If you do decide after seeing it that you really would prefer a different style of cushion, you can have a heart to heart with the FI and look into changing it. It's not the end of the world, and things can always be changed! Perhaps the jeweler could call in some different stones - but try to relax and hold off judgement until you see it!

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
Oh Junebug, thanks so much for the wise words of wisdom.Sometimes it just takes a few people to slap me upside the head to make me realize I'm probably worrying about nothing. I know everyone has different tastes but I just haven't read much of anything that puts "crushed iced" cushions in a positive regard. I tend to over-analyze most of everything in life (science type here!) so of course I started to worry about what the performance of the diamond will be.

Like I said, I'm beyond thrilled to be getting a ring from soon-to-be-FI so I shouldn't worry. I'm getting so excited to leave for my trip this coming Friday... I am assuming I'll have the ring shortly after so I'll try to post picture as soon as I can :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you...but it sounds like your SO put a lot of thought and effort into picking out the diamond, going by that and by the pics, I personally think it is going to be a bright and lively stone - I cannot wait to see pics of this on your hand!!!! I so hope he gives it to you very soon!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one gorgeous ring! I really like the split shank. Congrats a little early! :appl:

ewozobski

Rough_Rock
Junebug- Thanks again for the reassurance. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

Derby- Thanks! I was unsure of the split shank but the boy really likes the look of it so I'm going with it. I'm hoping it doesn't make my fingers look short/stumpy because of the added width.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results