shape
carat
color
clarity

Abraded sapphire, easy to repair?

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking about purchasing this ring but the sapphire is really scratched and abraded. I'm wondering how hard of a process it is to have the sapphires unset and repolished. Does anyone know the cost of re-polishing a stone like this? Or should I just pass on purchasing the ring... I think it's a really beautiful ring and feel its such a shame for the stone to be so damaged.

20475990_1_x.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I had an amethyst re-faceted about 5 years ago. I took it to a local jeweler and they sent it somewhere. I don't believe it was unset. It cost be $75 and it looked brand new.

Not sure about sapphires, though, they are much harder stones. You might want to check with Jerry at Gemart Services (google his site), he does a lot of stone repair for people on this board and he's very reasonable. He'll tell you if it can be done.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general, stones will have to be unset to be polished, which may be a problem with a bezel. If I remember correctly, Tony, aka the Gem Doctor, would repolish a stone without unsetting. It may be interesting to contact him.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the advice! I decided not to get it. The price got a bit high and the bezel made it a bit more complicated. Thanks though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results