shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever found a "twin" to your antique diamond?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
So I was perusing pinterest the other night and I stumbled upon a diamond that I could swear is Lady J's twin. I actually had to do a double take! :o

So have you ever found your diamond's twin?

twin.jpg

_8190.jpg

171__2_0.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
In fact, I have. I purchased an OEC from Wink and recently had him set it in one of his stuller solstice rings. I was looking at vids of old cut diamonds (to tied me over while I waited for the ring) and saw an old video Jonathan made featuring an OEC of the same clarity and color of mine, within points of the weight!

Here's my OEC 3.02 Q SI 1 that Wink Jones' video featured:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3lslboT5m4

Here's someone else's OEC 3.07 Q SI 1 that Jonathan Weingarten's video featured:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgJ7VlJbi0w

I'll bet these "adoptive dads" had no idea their respective babies were born within minutes of each other :o :mrgreen:

edited to fix link

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found one that was EXACTLY like my tranny's pattern. I was so tempted to buy it, even though I shouldn't waste more money on diamonds…. but stopped myself cus it was about half a mm. difference in diameter. For my wallet's sake… THANK GOD.

uyofyflyfl.png

Mine is a slightly older version than your Lady J, and a slightly younger version of Dreamer's George. Arrows!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1375870952|3498142 said:
I found one that was EXACTLY like my tranny's pattern. I was so tempted to buy it, even though I shouldn't waste more money on diamonds…. but stopped myself cus it was about half a mm. difference in diameter. For my wallet's sake… THANK GOD.

uyofyflyfl.png

Mine is a slightly older version than your Lady J, and a slightly younger version of Dreamer's George. Arrows!

Blasphemous! Blasphemous I Say.

Think not of your wallet, but of that poor homeless twin, With proper nourishment that half mm can be made to disappear...

Wink

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1375870952|3498142 said:

uyofyflyfl.png

wahhhh it's so pretty!!! please tell me someone gave it a home at least!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1375884917|3498218 said:
Blasphemous! Blasphemous I Say.

Think not of your wallet, but of that poor homeless twin, With proper nourishment that half mm can be made to disappear...

Wink

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Wink! Haha!! If only "feeding" diamonds made them grow larger! Melee for lunch, perhaps?

pandabee said:
please tell me someone gave it a home at least!!

The twin? It was on eBay, and I cannot find the listing on my watch list anymore, so I am assuming it sold! :sun:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went hunting, lol. I really wanted a side-by-side photo! I thought I had taken it before, but I guess I only really just looked at it without saving the photo. This took a good half hour for me to pull up :rolleyes:

Here it is:

screen_shot_2013-08-07_at_8.png

And of course I had to do this…. It's bothering me that I didn't resize them so they're ~ the same size, but yeah, the table sizes are approx same % and the photo was even taken on a very similar angle! lol!

copy.jpg

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Madelise!
That is uncanny. I love the line tracing LOL!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm impressed that you all are impressed, but need to ask the silly question - what do you look at? The faceting? color? clarity? I'm SUCH a diamond novice!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, two, I love the ring in your first post. :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1380937220|3532514 said:
I'm impressed that you all are impressed, but need to ask the silly question - what do you look at? The faceting? color? clarity? I'm SUCH a diamond novice!

My take is that she's asking about the faceting pattern. It's easy to find, say, a MRB that has the same color/clarity stats as another stone. Less so when it's an old cut, but still, nothing that "crazy". Since the cutting is different on every single antique diamond, it's just so fun and shocking to be able to find something that looks JUST.LIKE yours!

Many many PSers have tried to find matching pairs of old cut diamonds for stud earrings or whatever, and have found it incredibly hard. Even vendors have trouble finding matches. Usually, if it's not something too blatantly obvious… ex: one is a OMB with wonkiness galore and a huge huge culet, and one is so modern that it's almost a MRB, I think people "forgive" the differences and just go with it. I myself had to give up finding a match to Freckles, my I1 OEC, and just keep her a pendant. I am just absolutely dying that I just started a project on my sapphire, right when Army is selling her pair of earring studs! Just my luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results