shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a grey spinel - emerald cut?

YandZ

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Very new here and maybe seeking something that "doesn't exist" so feel free to set me straight.

Here is what I am hoping to find:
Stone: Spinel
Color: mid grey saturation - okay with leaning a little green/blue/teal in tone, but as "true grey" as it can get is good. The mid range gray spinel ring with diamonds on the side that Freke has pictures floating around of is pretty much my ideal, so-fantastic-I-want-to-die color
Cut: I am looking for an emerald cut - I am open to other rectangle-ish options (radiant cut octagon, etc.)
Size: .75(ideal) to 1.5(MAX) carats. I would like to have a ring made with it and have little toddler hands and I feel like anything larger make me look like I am playing dress up.
Budget: I am not going to say money is no object, that's a lie, but I can spend what I need to for the right stone.

For some reason, I can't seem to find many emerald cut spinels or grey spinels and definitely not the two combined. That said, I am pretty new to the game, so I may just not know where to source from. Speaking of sourcing, is this the kind of thing I could tell a trusted jeweler and the would keep an eye out for me? If so, any recommendations of who that jeweler might be? I am not on a timeline. I just love the stone and have a really specific vision of what I want, so now I am calling in the big guns (you all!) to see if I can find one.

Thanks!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there! Thanks for the compliments on my stone - suddenly gray spinels are getting much more popular! I only have a minute, but here are my suggestions:

Jeff Davies - he sometimes has cushion cut grays, but might be able to source a stone to be recut for you
GemCal - They often have silver/gray stones in an emerald cut - these might not be as stellar cutting wise as you would probably get from a precision cutter, but still really nice.

YandZ

Rough_Rock
Freke - Thank you so much for stopping by with a reply even through you were crunch for time! I really appreciate it. I will likely drop Jeff Davies a note and see if he would be willing to keep any eye out for me. After swooning over your ring, it is no wonder you have started a trend ;-)

JewelFreak - Thanks for the link. I think you are right that is looking a bit too lavender for me and lavender is the color I would most want to avoid, leaning toward a more slate blue should more color come into the picture. That said, I know the spinels tend to shift quite a bit in the light, so there is no avoiding the purple/lavender/plum range in some lights, I just don't want to encourage it. I will definitely keep an eye on that site for the future as I love the cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results