shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your advice on the emerald pin

maga

Rough_Rock
Hi, Please advise on the time and the country of this pin. Yellow gold 18K(tested), very transparent emerald (muzo), diamonds (old cuts, but not sure).

dsc05070.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'd take a stab at a Victorian Era pin (I'm only guessing though!). The diamonds appear to be old Mine cuts (not really guessing, they look like them from the distance).

If you look on the web, there's a very informative entry about timing of pins by their clasps. I believe it was related to Lang's.

maga

Rough_Rock
Heraanderson, thank you for your opinion. As I received it from my Granny I thougt it was Russian. But there are no marks, not a single tick. Gold, emerald and diamonds were tested and turned to be of pretty high quality.
I can't explain the lack of the marks on such a decent piece (for Russian pieces it would be more than strange) What about England, France or other Europe?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ... maybe the part with the hallmarks was replaced at some point? If it was the pin or the pin fitting, there's a possibility that as the part receiving the most wear it might have predeceased the rest of the piece. Alternately, have you tried looking at it with a stronger-than-usual loupe? Some of the hallmarks were incredibly tiny, back in the day, like, the size of the head of a pin. Might be worth getting a 30x loupe and checking it over again ....

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where was I reading recently that hallmarks and metal content stamps are (relatively) new? It sure looks beautiful. I'm curious though, how you know the origin of the emerald, as there are not many places that undertake that testing? Was it more someone's educated guess, or was it sent off to AGL or the like?

I hope you enjoy and use it? I'm not a pin girl, but I would LOVE to see them make a comeback - so elegant and classy. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results