shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a cushion Padparadscha(ish) Sapphire

Jersey_Devil

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Stumbled along this forum while looking for a loose cushion peach-champagne colored sapphire. My girlfriend really likes the lighter peach-champagne colored sapphires.

I am currently looking for this stone for an engagement ring. I really like the sapphire in the image I attached, it’s from here. However at 4 cts and $8000, it is way out of my price range and I think it might be a bit too big.

It would be a great help if anyone could point me in the direction of a similar sapphire about 1.25 to 2cts and at most about $1800.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sapphire_pink_452.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you fussed on treatment?

Jersey_Devil

Rough_Rock
I would rather not have it too colorful, as she likes the lighter untreated look. If it had a similar look I guess I would not be that upset about it. Another example is here

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a cushion, it is a barion-cut rectangle, and it is slightly richer in color, *but* it is AGL-certified as untreated, has wonderful saturation and clarity, a gorgeous cut, and it meets your budget (note the actual price is 50% off the listed price) - based on the video, I think it is really a lovely stone for an ER! http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1640

Jersey_Devil

Rough_Rock
carmen1, do you think it would look a little lighter when set?

marymm, I think its a little too much color for what she would like to have.

Thanks to you both for having a look.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jersey_Devil|1380317200|3528541 said:
carmen1, do you think it would look a little lighter when set?

marymm, I think its a little too much color for what she would like to have.

Thanks to you both for having a look.
It won't look "lighter", stones often darken just a tinge when set, but those dark spots are likely reflections of the camera. I'd hazard a guess that that particular stone is actually quite light and lively. It looks to meet your criteria!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it would lighten when set, but it actually looks to be a very light / pale stone as it is, based on the examples you posted I doubt you'd want it lighter. I suspect that when set it would look very much like the ring that you linked to from Eidelprecious, assuming you are setting it in rose gold. This color stone tends to look washed out in white gold.

I have a sapphire that looks to be very close in color to the one on Multicolour, here are photos of mine loose and once set:

Hope that helps you visualize!

loosetoset.png

Jersey_Devil

Rough_Rock
Yes that helped quite a bit, I like the cushion on your ring. She wants something similar to your rose gold and white gold combo but with a more elaborate band. Also how many cts is yours? I am trying to figure out if the 1.7 would be too big with the cushion.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Mine is 1.9ct - 6.37 x 6.32 x 5.49mm.

Jersey_Devil

Rough_Rock
Thanks, helps get an idea of how big I should look for.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
You might also look for a "padparadscha" spinel. Spinels are very pretty, very durable gems that are quite suitable for engagement rings but have always suffered a marketing problem. In fact, many of the "rubies" in the crown jewels turned out to be spinels. They come many shades and are a big favorite around here..

They look great in pink tones and are usually a lot less expensive than a comparable sapphire. This is especially true because anything that can be labeled "padparadscha" in sapphire comes at a premium.

Whenever I encounter someone who is into the idea of morganite + rose gold e-ring, I try to steer them in the direction of a spinel

Roger Dery has some
Ooh la la:
http://www.spectralgems.net/spinel/spinelpadoval1_54ct/
Maybe a little pinker:
http://www.spectralgems.net/spinel/spinelpinkcush1_56ct/

This first one is a little rich in the picture, but might be paler in real life, either way, it's pretty gorgeous!
http://www.finewatergems.com/spinel.html

GemCal has one described as "walnut" that actually looks like the right shade:
http://gemcal.com/walnut-color-spinel-cushion-3-09-cts-1754-sl

This color can probably be sourced by a lot of the cutters, so you can definitely email around to those listed in the sticky whose cutting you like and see what they can do.

Also, Mastercutgems had a bunch of paler spinels, most in pink shades. I think a lot were in the lavender spectrum, but perhaps he has one in a pink you will like.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you're still around, but Jeff White has a BEAUTIFUL 1.07 ct, 5.64 mm round padparadscha sapphire for $985. It's in his members-only preview, so you'd have to email him at [email protected]. It's on the pink side, but really nice. I'm sure it will go fast.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results