shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on buying matched blue sapphires in Chicago

Zarina

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if this is the correct area to ask, but I live in Ontario (Canada) and the tax we pay here is atrocious......13%.
I am searching for a pair of bright, vivid blue sapphires to replace the 2 side diamonds I have in my 3 stone ring. My centre stone is the diamond from my original engagement ring (1.85ct). I thought diamonds (roughly 1 ct. ea) on either side would be pretty, and while it is nice, I realize what I truly crave is a 3 stone ring with blue sapphires as side stones.
My husband and I are taking a long weekend getaway to Chicago in October......it is only a 45 minute flight from where we live.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding stores, in the windy city, that might have what I am looking for? It would be nice to get in touch with them online, before we go, so that they might be able to have something to show me.
I realize there are lots of dealers online, but ordering stones from the US and having them shipped to Canada is SO costly and, if they are not what I am looking for, returning them is also a hassle.
Any suggestions would be most welcome...........I would also welcome suggestions about Canadian dealers as well (I live in London, which is about 1/2 way between Toronto and Detroit)
I have learned SO much about SO many things since joining PS - my husband wishes that I had NOT become so knowledgeable :roll:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Chicago tax is around 10%, not cheap either.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Hi Zarina! I would strongly recommend you email Lisa Elser, a custom cutter in BC. She has some very nice stones and will be straightforward about whether she can meet your needs. As TL said, Chicago's got one of the highest sales taxes in the States, over 9%, and finding a nicely matched pair on a specific weekend will probably mean paying retail prices. I hope you find some good ones!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will be paying B&M prices which will be quite high; I second contacting Lisa Elser who is not only Canadian but a highly skilled lapidary and offers better pricing.

Zarina

Rough_Rock
Thanks to TL, cm366 and Chrono :D
I will certainly have a look at Lisa Elser's site ---- maybe a short trip to Vancouver is in order (any excuse to stay in a hotel and not cook!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results