shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to buy an emerald

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi - I'm in Australia but would love info and advise about where to buy a loose emerald (or set). I'd love a 3 carat. What's the difference between Colombian and Brazilian?

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The web is the only place, unless you want to travel to Columbia or Brazil.

Columbia is famous but Brazil and Pakistan and also Zambia has good emeralds.

You can buy heavily treated emerald (re-constituted) for 5 bucks/carat or up to 100.000/carat for untreated emerald.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going online gives you the most options but I would stick with only trusted vendors:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-4[/URL]

I noticed that Embassy Emeralds didn't make the list but I would like to have them included at some point. They carry a good selection of emeralds from the major locations and are reputable.

Please take the time to read up on emerald quality, in particular which hue you like (more green, blue or a bit yellowish), if you like a deeper green or a lighter green, how clean or how much jardin is acceptable to you, the type of treatment and the level of treatment.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Typically, there are African, Colombian and Brazilian emeralds. My preference is Colombian but again, it depends on the individual quality AND colour. Just because it is Colombian does not automatically mean it is well coloured and is of high quality. African emeralds tend to be much cleaner and requires less clarity enhancement but the colour is often not as rich. Again, I am generalizing because sometimes a few great ones do come from such locations.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
and you are in luck, it just happen that one of your replier is one of the reputable vendor.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
eastjavaman|1379074288|3519969 said:
and you are in luck, it just happen that one of your replier is one of the reputable vendor.

Thanks. But I have very thin collection of emeralds, and none from South America at all. 100% untreated emeralds are sooo hard to find.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the info and links. Does anyone know much about Indian emeralds? Also - what's the difference between beryl and emerald? I have found a local seller with certified beryl (emerald) stones and they have a 2.96 Indian emerald for $500.

I'm just not sure what to look for. I like medium green (not too translucent).

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Bump

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
laurenk|1379807886|3525006 said:
Thanks for all the info and links. Does anyone know much about Indian emeralds? Also - what's the difference between beryl and emerald? I have found a local seller with certified beryl (emerald) stones and they have a 2.96 Indian emerald for $500.

Emerald is a variety of beryl. Beryl comes in many different colors, in addition to green. Aquamarine, heliodor, and bixbite are also beryls:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 ct for $500 is suspect; I would think that it is either heavily treated and/or some other additional enhancement. Emerald belongs to the beryl gem family.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
laurenk|1379807886|3525006 said:

Could you scan a copy of the certificate, from the stone you are looking at?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed when the color saturation is very pale, it will be called green beryl. That may be why it is $500 for 3 carats, not because it is necessarily treated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1380509744|3529441 said:
I've noticed when the color saturation is very pale, it will be called green beryl. That may be why it is $500 for 3 carats, not because it is necessarily treated.

True as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results