shape
carat
color
clarity

ink in dryer -- help please

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14 year old left a pen in a blanket. It ran through the washer and the dryer.

I think I found all of the pieces, but the inside of the dryer is covered in blue ink. It seems mostly dry with some thicker spots that are still spreading blue color.

What do I do with this? Any way to get the ink out?
Is the "dried" stuff actually just going to be stuck to the drum or is it going to come off on stuff that I run through now?

We have enough floor towels and rags that we can run through stuff that doesn't matter if it is stained. How many cycles until it is safe to use for clothes again?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TooPatient, ugh that sucks. How about cleaning the inside of the machines with WD-40? That should do the trick and then run it a few times and see how the towels/rags come out. I hope that works. I think you must get all the ink off the drum though with a solvent and you cannot just keep running it hoping that will do the trick. Good luck!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1380320232|3528560 said:
Hi TooPatient, ugh that sucks. How about cleaning the inside of the machines with WD-40? That should do the trick and then run it a few times and see how the towels/rags come out. I hope that works. I think you must get all the ink off the drum though with a solvent and you cannot just keep running it hoping that will do the trick. Good luck!

I agree. That is what I've been thinking (since we discovered 10 minutes ago) but I don't know what to use in there.

WD-40 is an interesting idea. That would probably do it for the washer. I wonder how I could do it in the dryer without us all smelling for the next month?

Maybe a "Magic Eraser" to start and see how much that gets off?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our neighbor suggested a lacquer thinner.

FI is worried about using anything abrasive and scratching the stainless steel. He's also worried that chemicals may strip whatever the coating is off. He suggested maybe rubbing alcohol or peroxide as things that might get rid of the ink and any trace left behind would evaporate and not be a problem later.

We've been reminding her to keep the pens picked up and reminding her again when we find another one. The one a couple of days ago was a red pen with no cap wedged between the cushions of a beige couch :nono:

Our latest helpful suggestion about how to keep track of this stuff is to only have out what she is using. Any pen/pencil/marker/etc not currently in her hand in use should be sitting on the table blotter until needed.
(she was never taught this sort of thing so we're finding these on a daily basis. Rather than just getting upset at her, we let her know what she is supposed to do (keep track of her stuff and keep it where it won't damage other stuff) and some ideas of HOW to do it.)

This is not the first time we've had a pen make it in the wash (despite my careful checking) but it is the first time one has broken like this.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
How about calling the manufacturer & asking if they can recommend anything? I think that's what I'd do first. It might not be the first time they've had the question, in fact.

--- Laurie

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Try goo gone. We had the same issue and I'm pretty sure that's what we used. But then really wash the dryer walls down cause it's pretty smelly stuff;-)

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1380324829.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nail polish remover. And even sometimes just straight alcohol will remove it.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Pure Acetone nail polish remover poured on a magic eraser [Mr. Clean original] works like a charm. After rubbing the ink off, leave it open for a few minutes then run the dryer for 10 minutes with an old/beach towel in the dryer, Good as new.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goo gone working!

Hard work but we're going to keep at it. I've got "A" doing some of the scrubbing now in hopes that she will have some motivation to not leave pens in the couch (or other random places) again. She sees it as "not my fault" when anything happens even with repeated reminders to not do stuff because ____ . At 14 I don't think it is wrong for her to at least help in cleaning up a mess like this when it was caused directly by her.

I also got pure acetone to go with the Magic Erasers in the closet. I'm trying to avoid using this since the dryer is big enough that you've got to lean your head in to reach a lot of the mess. Will pull it out if I need to.

Love the suggestions! I'll let you know later what worked.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
paint thinner should also work.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Call the dryer manufacturer. I'm sure a lot of this stuff will get it off but I'd ask them and at least try what they recommend first.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/work-wipes/

^ Those are wipes, and they look interesting as a cleaning tool. I haven't tried them yet. I don't know what's in them. I will try to look up the MSDS and see if I can guess based on the hazards listed.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/work-wipes/

^ Those are wipes, and they look interesting as a cleaning tool. I haven't tried them yet. I don't know what's in them. I will try to look up the MSDS and see if I can guess based on the hazards listed.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
70% to 100% ethanol will take off ink. Just use it liberally. It's also good for getting ink out of clothes. The 100% evaporates more quickly, but is more effective in getting the ink out.

You can rub it off with a paper towel soaked in ethanol; the paper towel be mildly abrasive. You could also soak a magic eraser in ethanol, but I've never tried that.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient said:
I've got "A" doing some of the scrubbing now in hopes that she will have some motivation to not leave pens in the couch (or other random places) again. She sees it as "not my fault" when anything happens even with repeated reminders to not do stuff because ____ . At 14 I don't think it is wrong for her to at least help in cleaning up a mess like this when it was caused directly by her.

She's 14, not 7? Good move. My parents would've shut me in there till I cleaned the whole thing spotless! At least doing part of it is how we learn there are consequences to our actions.

How's it coming this morning? Any more progress?

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you have it under control TP! :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hairspray and a good hot water washing gets ink out of clothes.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alcohol and a magic eraser. Should do the trick.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1380368330|3528780 said:
TooPatient said:
I've got "A" doing some of the scrubbing now in hopes that she will have some motivation to not leave pens in the couch (or other random places) again. She sees it as "not my fault" when anything happens even with repeated reminders to not do stuff because ____ . At 14 I don't think it is wrong for her to at least help in cleaning up a mess like this when it was caused directly by her.

She's 14, not 7? Good move. My parents would've shut me in there till I cleaned the whole thing spotless! At least doing part of it is how we learn there are consequences to our actions.
How's it coming this morning? Any more progress?

--- Laurie

FI did one spot to make sure the Goo Gone would work and not be too chemically with your head right in it. She did most of the rest while I cooked dinner and then I just took a quick rub to make sure it was all out.

She is 14 but was never taught to be responsible for herself or her actions. That has been one of the lingering problems we're dealing with. She is super smart (went from 1st grade math to algebra in 12 months!) and has been learning lots but the idea of HER being responsible and there being consequences is still a massive challenge.

Everything is so hugely overwhelming some days I just have to step back for 20 minutes (or buy myself a new book!) and remember what she's been through and how much she has learned in such a short time. Yesterday with the pen was difficult because we'd really been reminding her so often that it shouldn't have happened. Her response as FI and I tried to figure out how to get the mess cleaned up was to say "Well... It wasn't MY fault. I didn't know the pen was there."
She did NOT enjoy having to clean the mess up. (she was only at it for half an hour or less so it wasn't that bad). I'm hoping she'll remember that and keep the pens/pencils/etc out of places it shouldn't be.

On a very positive note -- She just got 22/24 on her algebra test! She also got an A on her Spanish test. 99.5% in art right now. She's got A's in all but one class and just joined year book club. Oh... and she and her friends formed a band so she is learning the songs that she'll be singing.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All clean!!!

Goo Gone did the trick. No damage to the machine. Not super chemically so safe to have your face in while leaning in the dryer.

I still need to run some bathroom floor towels and dog towels to get the residual citrus smell out, but not bad!

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and support!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results