color
clarity

Purple Spinel Feedback Please

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RissaLou|1377065070|3507113 said:
FrekeChild|1377063763|3507107 said:
Thanks Rissa. I think you just have to luck out a lot. I know the only one I've seen recently was sold in just a few hours, and that's only because the seller doesn't do "drops" or really advertise. Jeff Davies is probably the best lead right now, but it's worth asking around to different cutters. I'd look to have an idea of what you want, and have available funds to snap one up if it pops up randomly before you're "ready".

Your Welcome :bigsmile:

So since I don't have the funds yet I feel like it's safe to share this stone. I found it on ebay, the seller has perfect feedback and tons of sales which is comforting and a good sign, but if you look at the store and look at all the Spinels they all seem too "perfect" for the in my opinion lower prices, plus each stone only has one photo which they post multiple times. Is this seller too good to be true? Are synthetic Spinels common? What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290916020707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

same seller...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-62cts-Superb-Neon-Splash-Note-Worthy-Persian-Rose-Spinel-Tanzania-5648-/290906412841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bb5f9729

The top one will be very dark and desaturated.

The bottom one may not be as saturated as the photo.

One thing you really have to worry about on ebay is photoshop. The vendors tend to amp up the color and lighten the tone quite a bit. Not all, but many.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example of what I find to be one of the most gorgeous violet blue spinels I've ever seen. It belongs to Chrono. This is hard to find, but I just wanted to post an example of a premium quality violet blue spinel so you would have a better idea of what to look for.

spinel_hand.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was tied up in an all day meeting so could not post pictures yesterday but I'm back with my holy grain blue spinel. Just ignore the fact that is is 84 cts. :lol: The second one is smaller and lighter in tone, but equally impressive in its vividness of saturation.

84ctbluespinel2.jpg

vietnemese_blue_spinel.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Those really are beautiful stones. :love: You all are being so informative and helpful, I really appreciate it! I feel like I've learned so much more than what I was able to learn on my own. :bigsmile: I never really thought about a seller using photoshop to enhance what the item looks like, I only ever thought about if they were selling legit stones vs. lab created or glass or CZ without disclosing it. And I think I see what you mean by learning to read the photos, I think that part is going to take a lot of practice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RissaLou|1377128344|3507626 said:
Wow! Those really are beautiful stones. :love: You all are being so informative and helpful, I really appreciate it! I feel like I've learned so much more than what I was able to learn on my own. :bigsmile: I never really thought about a seller using photoshop to enhance what the item looks like, I only ever thought about if they were selling legit stones vs. lab created or glass or CZ without disclosing it. And I think I see what you mean by learning to read the photos, I think that part is going to take a lot of practice.

You also have to be careful of synthetic spinel too, so if it's too good to be true, then it probably is. Only deal with reputable dealers on ebay or otherwise.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture manipulation is not only just via photoshopping but also playing with lighting (flooding with light, which you can tell by the background, shadows or tweezers), angling of stones to hide cut issues, picture theft and more. Always read the fine print about return and refunds.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, this is one amazing giant spinel. :naughty:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay it's here!!! I love it so very much and have no intention of returning it. Thank you so much for everyone's help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. Seeing this beautiful ring in person absolutely made my mind up that I LOVE the lighter purple color of the stone. Plus it has SO much character and flash. PERFECT anniversary present!

I made a thread with lots of pics (VERY hard to photograph Spinel by the way) over in SMTB...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-gold-lotus-set-medium-light-purple-spinel.192893/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-gold-lotus-set-medium-light-purple-spinel.192893/[/URL]

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring!
Did the listed price include the little diamonds or was it extra? I

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The listed price included the little diamonds and everything, the whole completed piece. I actually got 5% off the listed price for being a pricescope member, plus free sizing and free engraving, although I don't know if that would be the case for every transaction. I feel like it was a fair price considering the quality of craftsmanship, size of the stone, and amazing cut. Plus now that I have it in person it has SO much character, flashes so many different colors. I love it! :bigsmile:

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock
It really is lovely!
I think this setting is very romantic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results