shape
carat
color
clarity

1.37 ct Unheated Blue Sapphire

jm1511

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post, I have been reading the forums for the past few weeks to learn as much I can about buying a sapphire. I am looking for an unheated blue oval sapphire in the 7 x 5 to 8 x 6 sized range as a center stone for an engagement ring. I would like to keep the cost of the stone below 5k. I have searched the inventories of most of the vendors on the respected vendors list, but only one sapphire has the color that has really caught my eye.

I realize the only way to judge a sapphire is to see it in person, so I have already ordered it and am awaiting shipment. I would really appreciate some opinions and feedback about the stone, that way I will have an idea beforehand of what to inspect closely when the stone arrives.

There is a picture and video along with the description in the link below.

http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-1.37-carats.html-0

Thanks.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This might be darker than you want. A lot of light is coming from the back of the stone on that video, and when it's set, the light will only come through the front of the stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some oval or ovally cushions that are blue and 2.5-5k ish at Flawless Facets. Won't rec comment any as I'm bad at that bit they might work for you.

jm1511

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the replies. The light source didn't even occur to me. I'll have to keep that in mind during my search online.

Do you think the light source is the cause of the dark areas? Or would that be the extinction from the cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is a rich deep blue, only that the tone is too dark. I doubt lighting is the cause.

jm1511

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I am looking for a somewhat dark tone, but I will find out very soon if the stone is too dark for my liking since it will arrive this week. I will try to post some pictures when I get it.

What do you think of the cut?

jm1511

Rough_Rock
That color of that stone looks perfect.. but from the info I've squeezed out of my gf, I can't budge on the oval shape and personally would only like to go for heated as a last resort.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Two nice ones within your budget & approximately the size you're looking for here. The 2nd one has a slight purple modifier on my monitor but description says clear royal blue -- it's impossible to judge color accurately on a computer; you have to see it IRL, as you've learned.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9678

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9677

Chrono is right about the one you posted -- it's quite dark. But see what you think when it arrives. Good to get a look in-hand anyhow.

--- Laurie

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1380055574|3526531 said:
Two nice ones within your budget & approximately the size you're looking for here. The 2nd one has a slight purple modifier on my monitor but description says clear royal blue -- it's impossible to judge color accurately on a computer; you have to see it IRL, as you've learned.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9677

Chrono is right about the one you posted -- it's quite dark. But see what you think when it arrives. Good to get a look in-hand anyhow.

--- Laurie

Oh I love the first one!

And SB I hope that one works out would love to see what you do with it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sarah -- YOU bought it!! Wow, great -- pics pics pics please. It looks beautiful to me. Very curious how it appears IRL.

--- Laurie

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes it was me :twisted: My response to you last night would have been more interesting if I hadn't been half falling asleep at the computer. I have purchased a few sapphires in the last 2-3 months but either they aren't exactly what I was looking for or I was a day late and a dollar short on hitting purchase. Anyhow I'll keep my fingers crossed and I will post pictures regardless this weekend.

OP if you don't care about shape then Jeff White has a very nice one in that color range but not as dark that I think you might really like. It was 7.5mm RB. I would contact him. Picture is below.

_10368.jpg

jm1511

Rough_Rock
thanks for the suggestions, but I don't want to consider anything but oval. At least until I have no other options left. I think the oval one posted earlier might be a little too big.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jm1511|1380128626|3527102 said:
thanks for the suggestions, but I don't want to consider anything but oval. At least until I have no other options left. I think the oval one posted earlier might be a little too big.

No suck thing :lol:

Was this what you were talking?

That's not much bigger than a 1ct diamond. I truly don't think your future FI would say "too big!"

jm1511

Rough_Rock
lol I actually can't imagine her saying it's too big. I just figured I shouldn't go any bigger than 8x6 since she's a petite build at 5'2. I haven't bothered looking at anything greater than 2ct, but now I'm considering it.

That stone you posted looks really nice..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jm1511|1380133054|3527141 said:
lol I actually can't imagine her saying it's too big. I just figured I shouldn't go any bigger than 8x6 since she's a petite build at 5'2. I haven't bothered looking at anything greater than 2ct, but now I'm considering it.

That stone you posted looks really nice..

How will you set it?

I'm not like the other color gurus here, but it appeals to my eye. I might call and inquire if you like it. At lest on his site he seems pretty impressed by the color. the other larger oval posted is lovely as well. Honestly regardless of her finger size I don't think about 6x8 is toollarge. 10mm, or something, maybe, bit not these sizes.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that 6 x 8 is not too big. I have size 4.25 fingers and a stone that is between 6 x8 and 7 x 9, and it seems on the small side to me. Sapphires are more dense than diamonds, so a 2 carat sapphire will be much smaller than a 2 carat diamond.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
As someone already pointed out you shouldn't go by ctw for gemstones as they weigh differently then diamonds. Stick with mm size. A 8x6mm gemstone is closest to a 1.00ct diamond in terms of spread.

jm1511

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input guys, I'm learning quickly. I recieved the first stone I posted and my first impression was that it was a little darker and smaller than what I'm looking for, so I'll be returning it.

I'm now leaning towards a minimum of 8x6, I'm also considering including heated stones in my search. I think I'll take a few days to re-think my approach until I know for sure what I'm looking for. Shopping for the right sapphire is more complicated than I expected!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results