color
clarity

brown diamond vs topaz & its 2 sad ruby friends

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl.

No argument here.
I certainly defer to your expertise considering this particular diamond.

Also, I do see tremendous variation in the light performance of my FCDs.
Knowing full well I'm being subversive, I will continue to seek out FCDs with not only the best color but also better light performance, annoying the hell out of FCD vendors and PS in the process. :twisted:
In encourage others to do the same to create demand.

I buck convention.
I want what I want. :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1379776929|3524754 said:
Kenny,
I love high light return diamonds also but a lot of times the sign of an expert cutter with a FCD is that it gets the color grade. This is one case of many.
I would say that FCD's with high light return are a very very small exception because the starting material color has to be perfect.

By this definition, then, the cutter WAS a real expert at FCDs since this one got the Vivid rating!

Chat no recut! Love that stone as it is!

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1379787124|3524814 said:
Karl_K|1379776929|3524754 said:
Kenny,
I love high light return diamonds also but a lot of times the sign of an expert cutter with a FCD is that it gets the color grade. This is one case of many.
I would say that FCD's with high light return are a very very small exception because the starting material color has to be perfect.

By this definition, then, the cutter WAS a real expert at FCDs since this one got the Vivid rating!

Chat no recut! Love that stone as it is!

I don't believe a brown diamond can get a vivid grade. Maybe this is something new with GIA. I'd really like to see the report.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I believe brown goes from fancy to deep then dark. There is no intense or vivid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1379799054|3524924 said:
I don't believe a brown diamond can get a vivid grade. Maybe this is something new with GIA. I'd really like to see the report.

+1
If the OP does not post the report # and carat weight maybe I'll just call GIA Monday ... if my decomposing old brain can remember. :nono:

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
I was under the same impression but learned that brown orange can have fancy intense and fancy vivid grades more frequently where plain brown typically doesn't. Perhaps that's the origin of the confusion? Googling quickly revealed a few, for ex: http://www.dianerdiamonds.com/view_diamonds/50.htm // I was told by the 2nd appraiser (the good one) that fancy orange vivid (minus the brown) are rather rare and expensive, so I'm assuming the brown makes it less valuable.

Even if it weren't I'm not sure I'd post it publically. My FF was concerned that i had even posted pics and details so I need to respect that since its from his family not mine. It feels pretty intrusive that youd try to call about something I'm not selling. As i said the measurements differed in the 2nd report so i hope you dont have luck finding it and / or they respect individual reports being the property of their owners. If that casts some sort of doubt on me and / or brownie, that's too bad but not sure what I can I do. With that, feel free to share whatever potentially offensive lessons / observations you can, Karl. I am interested and also am grateful for all the education even if it is a lot to digest and exhaustingly heated.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
chatbandit|1379803467|3524966 said:
I was under the same impression but learned that brown orange can have fancy intense and fancy vivid grades more frequently where plain brown typically doesn't. Perhaps that's the origin of the confusion? Googling quickly revealed a few, for ex: http://www.dianerdiamonds.com/view_diamonds/50.htm // I was told by the 2nd appraiser (the good one) that fancy orange vivid (minus the brown) are rather rare and expensive, so I'm assuming the brown makes it less valuable.

Even if it weren't I'm not sure I'd post it publically. My FF was concerned that i had even posted pics and details so I need to respect that since its from his family not mine. It feels pretty intrusive that youd try to call about something I'm not selling. As i said the measurements differed in the 2nd report so i hope you dont have luck finding it and / or they respect individual reports being the property of their owners. If that casts some sort of doubt on me and / or brownie, that's too bad but not sure what I can I do. With that, feel free to share whatever potentially offensive lessons / observations you can, Karl. I am interested and also am grateful for all the education even if it is a lot to digest and exhaustingly heated.

I believe you said it was Orange brown, not brown Orange. If you do have a brown orange then it is an orange diamond with a brown modifier. And orange diamonds can definitely be graded vivid.

I was asking you to show the report merely for the sake of education. If GIA was grading brown diamonds vivid I thought it could be information the community here could use.

I didn't mean to cause any stress and I understand where the confusion came from if it is indeed a brown orange.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
see chat's other thread about the e-ring she desires and the help she is seeking re finding that stone.
this thread may have been educational for all of us but imo it has now gotten to the point that boundaries aren't being respected and as a long time pricescoper i'm used to it as are many of us. however, chat has stated her boundary and it is up to us to respect it. she's asked for specific help in her other thread. her frustration re having been diverted away from her original quest is apparent. however, she allowed herself to get sidetracked but now she's reigning back into what SHE desires and wants. perhaps its time to help her with that? one way she can stay focused is to not participate in this thread any longer and to ignore any references to Big Brownie that might still pop up in her other thread.

Big Brownie, I hope one day we see you again and that you don't languish for many years in that box. I do hope one day to see you set as a RHR.....or pendant.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I and others here love to get educated about GIA's quirky FCD grading.
For instance, there is no such thing as a Fancy Vivid Red diamond, only Fancy Red.
All other Tone/Saturations of that hue are called Pink.

Not all hues can get all 9 of GIA's Tone/Saturation grades.
I do not know about Browns so I'm curious.
I know a pure Orange can be Fancy Vivid.
I suspect a Brown or an Orangy Brown cannot, but perhaps a Brownish Orange or a Brown Orange can get a Fancy Vivid grade from GIA.
I don't know, but I'd like to know.
Your stone is just a data point that can help educate us.
Hence the interest, and desire to see the report.

I have no interest in robbing you or stalking you.
But since you are concerned I'll stop asking.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It feels pretty intrusive that youd try to call about something I'm not selling.

I think/hope/believe that Kenny meant he would call GIA to ask about color grading of brown diamonds in general, NOT to ask about your diamond specifically or to glean personal information about you.

I too hope we see this diamond again some day, and lucky you for having it in your life!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1379997246|3526122 said:
It feels pretty intrusive that youd try to call about something I'm not selling.
I think/hope/believe that Kenny meant he would call GIA to ask about color grading of brown diamonds in general, NOT to ask about your diamond specifically or to glean personal information about you.
True, of course.

I'm interested in learning more about GIA's grading of FCDs.
I can call GIA to do that.
I do not need refer to your stone to learn what I want to learn ...
My questions will be ... "Is there such a grade as Fancy Vivid Brown, or FV Orange Brown, or FV Orangy Brown, or FV Brownish Orange?"

To the OP ... the reason I asked for the carat weight and the GIA report number is GIA has a diamond report look up feature on their website: http://www.gia.edu/report-check-landing
Apparently today you only need the report #.
Used to be you also needed the exact carat weight.

Go ahead and look up your report.
It does not have your name and address or any info about you.

Lastly, Perhaps my threads on my collection of colored diamonds further substantiates the legitimacy of my interest in GIA grading ...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/update-my-tiny-fancy-colored-diamond-collection.153063/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/update-my-tiny-fancy-colored-diamond-collection.153063/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

FWIW I have 16,600 posts here.
Hope this puts your mind to rest about my 'intrusiveness'.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1379651998|3523992 said:
i got the GIA report back.
i'm confused that it managed a Fancy Vivid Orange Brown.

I just phoned GIA @ (212) 221-5858.
I spoke to Chiffon, the supervisor of Colored Diamond Services in GIA's New York laboratory.

She said, as I and other posters here suspected, that GIA does not give the grades Fancy Intense or Fancy Vivid if Brown is the primary hue such as Orange Brown, a secondary modifying hue such as Brown Orange, or a tertiary modifying hue such as Brownish Yellowish Orange.

I asked her if there are ever any exceptions.
She said, "No, never. GIA simply does not issue Fancy Vivid or Fancy Intense grades on any diamond with any brown."

Chatbandit, perhaps you misread your GIA report, or you were referring to an independent appraiser's opinion on the color, which takes a back seat once GIA has graded an FCD. Good bad right or wrong GIA is the absolute authority on FCDs.
Would you please recheck the GIA report and let us know GIA's color grade?

I'm sorry if you feel it is impolite of me to post this, but IMO an accurate understanding of GIA's FCD grading system is foremost.
Education is what PS is all about.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for looking deeper Kenny. I was (wrongfully) under the impression that a diamond couldn't get a vivid grade only if brown was the main color. I didn't know that it applied to all colors with any amount of brown. This is why these discussions are important. It helps to curtail misinformed and helps us all grow. Thanks again Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
De nana, anon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results